Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2002 - 2005 Explorer Mountaineer 3rd Generation > Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers

Notices

Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers and Mountaineers. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications. Sport Trac and Sport use the 1995-2001 forum.

2004 explorer service engine soon light on

Old 08-31-2007, 11:48 PM   #1
mamd1996
Jersey Girl
2004 Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Smile 2004 explorer service engine soon light on

I took my 2004 explorer xlt (56,000 miles, no other problems)
The "service engine soon" light came on
The idiots at the ford dealership said they don't know whats wrong with my suv!
Possible things: my computer chip is not working right or my fuel pump is going?

Don't they just hook up the suv to a diagnostics thingy?

I'm a girl so I have no clue about this stuff!

I have only done oil changes every 3 months, and changed the air filter.
Otherwise, the suv has had no other service.

Does anyone have any suggestions as what should be done or what the problem could be?

Thanks!
mamd1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn what modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to see less ads, no green underlined links, and many other benefits such as being able to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 09-04-2007, 09:30 AM   #2
jrford
Birmingham, MI
'10 Sport Trac

Vehicle Specs

I would suggest trying another dealer. As yes you are correct there is a diagnostic thingy that can be hooked up - sometimes its called a diagnostic scanner. Asked them 'what codes did you pull?'. Then post your codes here, maybe someone can confirm what they are. At this point it could be anything. Maybe your gas cap is lose . . . oil fill cap . . . they should be able to tell you something and if not leave. Note there may be a charge to hook up the tool or as they call diagnostic service - $45 - and yes it’s a rip off.

2004 EB Quad Buckets V8 AWD, 105k
jrford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 09:51 AM   #3
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Welcome to this forum! Autozone could read the codes for free.
BrooklynBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 02:38 PM   #4
dford
Bethesda, Md.
2003 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My 03 with 93K recently had the "check gas cap" light come on and then as the owner's manual stated, the "service engine soon" light soon came on. The gas cap seems ok to me---do they fail? Does anyone know what this might be? The truck runs great despite the warning lights. There is no AutoZone near me and I'd hate to buy a scanner if I don't need to.
dford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 05:21 PM   #5
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

The light could come on if the engine is running while you are refueling (with the cap off).
Old 09-06-2007, 09:57 AM   #6
dford
Bethesda, Md.
2003 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I had refueled after the warning lights had come on. It has been about a week now and they still haven't reset themselves yet.
dford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 05:30 PM   #7
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

It's a good time to read the codes. There might be more than one code stored.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:12 AM   #8
JCUZ
Elite Explorer
Canberra, Australia

2004 Explorer Limited V8

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
My 2004 XLT has just done the same thing (lit up the Service check light) - this was after I fitted a monster 9" K&N filter to it and took it for a run, so maybe I kinked a hose running under the intake tubing or something. The truck still goes great though - in fact the K&N is a massive improvement over the stock filter - especially as mine looked like it had been dipped in mud. Anyway, I digress....

Is there any way (other than a scantool) to clear the code. If not, anyone know where I can get a cheap scantool that works? I'm in Australia so can't go to your local auto store, but am happy to order on-line etc.

2004 Ford Explorer UZ Limited 4.6 V8 5spd auto Pearl White, Thermo fans, 4WD (with BWM 2WD mod), 2 x Lukey sports centre mufflers and rear resonator, Roof mount DVD system, HID driving lights (high beam), Expedition Nudge Bar, Pod in a box filter, factory 17s with 265/65/17 Mickey Thompson STZs, JVC 7" screen - DVD, reverse camera & bluetooth, Garmin 5" GPS, Ford roof racks, Roof Basket
JCUZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 12:08 PM   #9
Maniak
Moderator-Stock 91-94
Vail, Arizona

1992 XLT 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
This code scanner is on sale @ harborfreight for $64

If you have a local harbor freight just print out the web page with the price an they will honor it.

If you don't have a local HFT you can mail order it...

I personally have this scanner and have used it on our 2006 mustang.. It works great. It will give you the current and pending codes and support the new CAN protocol.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94217

~Mark

Old 09-07-2007, 06:21 PM   #10
JCUZ
Elite Explorer
Canberra, Australia

2004 Explorer Limited V8

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniak View Post
This code scanner is on sale @ harborfreight for $64

If you have a local harbor freight just print out the web page with the price an they will honor it.

If you don't have a local HFT you can mail order it...

I personally have this scanner and have used it on our 2006 mustang.. It works great. It will give you the current and pending codes and support the new CAN protocol.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94217

~Mark
Thanks for the tip - I couldn't see international postage at Harbour Tools, but used the product description to find the same thing on ebay for under $40 USD (plus postage, of course):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Auto-...spagenameZWDVW

I have mine ordered and it will arrive next week. Again, thanks for the tip/link - much appreciated.

2004 Ford Explorer UZ Limited 4.6 V8 5spd auto Pearl White, Thermo fans, 4WD (with BWM 2WD mod), 2 x Lukey sports centre mufflers and rear resonator, Roof mount DVD system, HID driving lights (high beam), Expedition Nudge Bar, Pod in a box filter, factory 17s with 265/65/17 Mickey Thompson STZs, JVC 7" screen - DVD, reverse camera & bluetooth, Garmin 5" GPS, Ford roof racks, Roof Basket
JCUZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 08:32 PM   #11
ViperGTS
South Jersey
'02 Mountaineer v8

Vehicle Specs

The code reader will find the problem. My experience with check engine lights on other cars has been the oxygen sensors going bad. Usually easy to replace and not too expensive if you buy them online.
ViperGTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 10:02 PM   #12
gpaps
Philadelphia, PA
2002 XLT 4.6L V8

Vehicle Specs

I have the same problem with the "service engine soon light". Went to Autozone and they scanned that is was the EGR valve. He scanned 3 x's to make sure and the computer gave him the same reading. I changed the EGR valve with factory EGR valve and had the computer reset. I drove the car to work the next day and on the way home the light came back on. I had it scanned again and the computer said the same thing the EGR valve needs to be replaced. What else could it be that is setting off this light since the EGR valve is brand new? Anyone know or had the same problem. Thanks.

"THE BEAST"
gpaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 10:09 PM   #13
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

What was the code #? It might be the DPFE sensor or a vacuum line going into it.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:59 PM   #14
1962dude
Deer Park, Texas
2004 XLS

Vehicle Specs

Hi there -- long time listener but first time....poster?

My 2004 XLS had its "Service Engine Soon" light come on roughly a month ago. I tried to hedge my bets first by getting the oil changed and then buying a new gas cap but the light never went off. The gas cap bit fixed my wife's Dodge Stratus "Check Engine" light woes, thought it was worth($16) a try.

My fuel filter is original(78,000 miles) and was about to change that next but had yet to find the jiffy Lube open after hurricane Ike left us a bit scattered a couple of weeks ago.

I finally dropped in at a AutoZone store where they read the codes for me and it was the EGR valve and here is all that it stated.

"The ECM has detected too little flow on the EGR system"

Probable causes:
1 -- Blocked passage on the EGR system
2 -- Failed EGR valve
3 -- EGR solenoid faulty
4 -- Failed EGR pressure sensor where applicable
5 -- Failed EGR position sensor where applicable

The guy at AutoZone said I might just need to remove the valve and blow it clean/clean it off(out?) to get the light to go out. I haven't done anything yet since this is merely the "Exhaust Gas Recirculation" valve and find it unlikely that the truck will just suddenly stop in its tracks until I haul it in to the dealership to fix the problem.

Also, if you change it yourself just unhook the positive battery lead for a few minutes and then hook it back up. That will reset the system for you. Works on most other vehicles anyway.

Any suggestions?
1962dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:18 PM   #15
easy2no
Kemah, TX
05 Limited

Vehicle Specs

Dk Exp

My 05 had a check engine light with a code P0401... EGR same as yours... However on the 05 the EGR & DPFE sensor are one unit, not seperate like earlier ones... Big $$$ locally but found a new motorcraft on line for half price... Will arive 10/2 and hopefully will fix the problem...
easy2no is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:27 PM   #16
rednekborn1989
leesburg,FL
2001 Ford Ranger Edge

Vehicle Specs

just take the truck to a part store like autozone and they can hook up the scanner and tell you what the problem for free as long as the light is still on if it isnt than there is no point. hope this helps

2001 Ford Ranger Edge 3.0L. K&N cold air intake, 3" inch rough country suspension lift and a 3" performance accessories body lift with 31/10.50/15 BFG All Terrains on stock 7.5" steel ranger rims... Soon to have 33/12.50/15 with 10" chrome aluminum wheels. Also I have a panasonic tilt screen head unit, MB Quart components, Kicker L7 12 inch sub, 1000W Bostwick and 250W Kicker Amps.
rednekborn1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 09:47 AM   #17
tv4fish
Minnesota
2007 EB V8 & 2002 EB V6

Vehicle Specs

I had it scanned again and the computer said the same thing the EGR valve needs to be replaced. What else could it be that is setting off this light since the EGR valve is brand new? Anyone know or had the same problem. Thanks.

You betcha' -- EXACT same problem - I have replaced the EGR valve and ONE of the oxygen sensors - STILL have the same code come up "EGR valve" (2002 Eddie Bauer w/4.0 L engine)
tv4fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:06 AM   #18
easy2no
Kemah, TX
05 Limited

Vehicle Specs

You may want to check the tube leading into the EGR valve... If you have been using fuel additives or premium could be some gunk build up in it... Also check to make sure the gasket was installed the correct way...
easy2no is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:45 AM   #19
tv4fish
Minnesota
2007 EB V8 & 2002 EB V6

Vehicle Specs

Gasket was installed correctly - tube looked fine - no additives used - Upon checking further - now I will just need to spend ANOTHER $35 +/- for a "DPFE sensor" - as that apparently could be the culprit
tv4fish is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page