Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

How To Check And Replace Inner Tie-Rod (pictures & video)

Old 09-03-2007, 06:18 PM   #1
Texplorer
Elite Explorer
Morgantown, WV

96 XLT 4x4 4.0

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
How To Check And Replace Inner Tie-Rod (pictures & video)

Well I had a loose tie-rod that I had to replace so I figured I would do a little write-up on it with pictures to hopefully help someone else down the line. I try and remember all the little tricks I used to make it easier.

First off this is a little vid of how you can tell if your inner tie-rod is loose. Grab it and try to wiggle it, if it moves as much as mine does then you need to replace it. (click on picture to play video):

This is what the suspension looks like before starting:

Remove the cotter pin and unscrew the castle nut on the outer tie-rod:

Outer tie-rod unbolted:

Now comes a little trick to make removing the tie-rod easier, unbolt the sway bar from both sides and rotate it up. It gives more room to work with:

Remove outer clamp with some pliers:

Then remove inner clamp with a long skinny flathead screwdriver, sorry I didnt get a pic of it. I needed both hands at this point.

Pull boot back and this is what you should see:

Use a pipe wrench to remove the tie-rod from the steering rack:

This is what it looks like when removed:

Then unscrew the outer tie-rod from the inner:

Outer tie-rod and inner tie-rod separated:

After that just reverse the steps and your done!! Now get in your rig and drive straight to the alignment shop because you will need one, every time you mess with any suspension/steering components you need to get an alignment. Good luck and enjoy saving yourself over $300 doing it yourself.

2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Rocky Mountain Edition

Last edited by Texplorer; 09-03-2007 at 10:20 PM.
Texplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn what modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to see less ads, no green underlined links, and many other benefits such as being able to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 09-03-2007, 07:05 PM   #2
white96x
Rancho Cuc,Ca(home) SLO,Ca(school)
1997 E.B.

Vehicle Specs

good write up....however i think i remembering seeing another write up a while back regarding replacing the whole tie rod assembly(outer and inner) and taking note of the distance of the outer tie rod adjustment screw...it needs to be the same distance on the threaded portion of the new inner tie rod as it was on the old..basically you need to have the adjustment nut in the same place before and after...just thought i would add that, i hope it doesn't confuse anyone...but this is a good write up and should either be 'stickied' or placed in the 'how to' forum

Old 09-03-2007, 07:17 PM   #3
Texplorer
Elite Explorer
Morgantown, WV

96 XLT 4x4 4.0

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by white96x View Post
good write up....however i think i remembering seeing another write up a while back regarding replacing the whole tie rod assembly(outer and inner) and taking note of the distance of the outer tie rod adjustment screw...it needs to be the same distance on the threaded portion of the new inner tie rod as it was on the old..basically you need to have the adjustment nut in the same place before and after...just thought i would add that, i hope it doesn't confuse anyone...but this is a good write up and should either be 'stickied' or placed in the 'how to' forum

You are exactly right, I forgot to mention that after you get the whole tie-rod assembly off measure the overall length of the two tie-rods while they are still together. Then when you put the new one on make sure to screw it to the exact length that you measured of the old tie-rod assembly.

2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Rocky Mountain Edition
Texplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 08:26 PM   #4
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Good write up! You could add that if you click onto the first picture, it will direct you to the short video clip. An alignment after this is a must. It's almost impossible to maintain the same alignment even if you keep the lock nut in the same place. Send Rick a PM with this link. He might like it.
BrooklynBay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 06:55 PM   #5
CDW6212R
Elite Explorer
Knoxville, TN

98 Mountaineer A4WD

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Take both old tie rod sets out, both sides. Use one nut from one old set, or buy new nuts if you like. Lay the old tie rod assembly on the ground(left intact to original length with nut), then assemble the two new tie rods, and lay them next to the old assembly. You can make that length very close to the original for that side visually. I've done that before and had the toe in be almost perfect, but still safer going to the alignment shop.
Do the other side by measuring, and see which is easier or you like better. Regards,

Be American, Buy American (Manufacturer)
CDW6212R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 11:12 AM   #6
Charlie's_93EB
Cat 3 Hurricane Rated
Venice florida

1993 Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

Very good, I will PM this to a mod for a sticky..

Old 04-28-2010, 05:50 AM   #7
Krupp
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
2001 Explorer Sport Trac

Vehicle Specs

This thread really helped me out yesterday when I did my tie-rod ends. Thank you very much.
Krupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:58 PM   #8
MikeLord
Seabrook, Tx
'00 Sport

Vehicle Specs

I have a problem. I was driving through a crowded parking lot, and i hit a comcrete pole with my tire, it bent my rim, poped my tire, and pulled my inner tie rod out of the rack and pinion, the inner tie rod was pulled out of the boot. Can the socket in there be replaced? Any help would be awesome!
-Mike
MikeLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:40 PM   #9
mudbug0426
Allen, Tx
96 XLT V6 OHV 4x4

Vehicle Specs

this is really helpful and appreciate the post. i just got back from the alignment shop to get mine done and the tech told me my inner tie rods were shot and the service manager quoted me 235 bucks for labor. now i think ill do it myself, it looks like cake!

My 96 Explorer
mudbug0426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:03 AM   #10
WatchThis!!
Vilseck, DE
01 ST

Vehicle Specs

Today a mechanic told told me that the inner tie rod in the right side had "backlash" and needs to be replaced. What the hell is "backlash"? Is it even a real term, I mean this guy is German and speaking better broken English than most but still...parts/ labor total about 260(euro not dollars) so I want to be sure.

Last edited by WatchThis!!; 10-22-2012 at 08:23 AM.
WatchThis!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:53 PM   #11
CDW6212R
Elite Explorer
Knoxville, TN

98 Mountaineer A4WD

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I'd guess that he means play in the joint. The tie rods only cost about $20 maybe, not much. It takes a big wrench or crescent wrench to loosen them, but it's not a tough job really.

The alignment has to be redone(the toe), and that labor will take longer than one tie rod.

Be American, Buy American (Manufacturer)
CDW6212R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:04 PM   #12
koda2000
Elite Explorer
Georgia

2000 Mountaineer V8 AWD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLord View Post
I have a problem. I was driving through a crowded parking lot, and i hit a comcrete pole with my tire, it bent my rim, poped my tire, and pulled my inner tie rod out of the rack and pinion, the inner tie rod was pulled out of the boot. Can the socket in there be replaced? Any help would be awesome!
-Mike
according to the picture, the "socket" is part of the inner tie rod. that's what's being replaced. so yes.

2000 Mountaineer 5.0L V8 auto AWD
2001 Explorer XLT 4.0L SOHC V6 auto 2WD (RIP 5/13)
1997 Explorer Sport 4.0L SOHC V6 auto 2WD
koda2000 is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page