Getting those plastic trims back to OEM black with pics | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Getting those plastic trims back to OEM black with pics

I'm the 3rd owner of this mounty and unfortunately the first two were not exactly passionate about cars and left it unprotected and unmaintained. all it got was the weekly scratch and swirl making car wash. Left under the sun for more than 10 years, the black trims faded and the paint was cracked up and in very bad condition specially on the hood. So, i'm trying to bring her back to shape one inch at a time with the most inexpensive methods that i know.

Here's what i did with all that faded trim:

I bought a couple of rattle cans of dupli-color trim paint and 1 rattle can of dupli-color truck bed lining.

i took out the wiper cowl, masked the rear hatch handle, took out the rear hatch glass handle, masked of the keypad entry system on the drivers side and started cleaning them by wiping everything down with mineral spirits.

after that i started masking all parts thats not supposed to be painted like the rubber lip on th wiper cowl the actual keypad of the keypad entry system, and all surrounding areas of the rear hatch opener and drivers door.

Time to spray away... i srayed a mist of the trim paint on all the stuff that i was trying to restore and waited for it to get dry to the touch but still tacky. spayed light coats at first letting it dry thoroughly then started to aplly heavy coats till i finished out 1 can. Let it dry before installing and you will be rewarded.

some pics of the process:

rear hatch and keypad frame:
CIMG0842.jpg

CIMG0843.jpg

CIMG0848.jpg

CIMG0845.jpg

CIMG0846.jpg

CIMG0852.jpg

CIMG0844.jpg

CIMG0851.jpg

wiper cowl:

1st coat on bottom cowl, faded cowl on top:
IMG_1633.jpg

finished cowl on top, stock faded on bottom:
IMG_1635.jpg

IMG_1637.jpg

The bed liner is for the running board steps. since is a non slip type of finish and is designed for the abuse that a truck's bed liner gets, i figured it would be suitable for this kind of application.. pics of this to come..

hope this helps on all those who want to restore thiers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yup, that and a couple more things like the running board black steps, door sill black trims and probably that faded roof rack that i never use. pics of the results will be posted :chug:

That's a VE-RY NICE! :thumbsup:

Personally, I'd yank the roof rack if you're not using it. Rails included. It would make for a much cleaner look, too. I know quite a few here have done it and it's not too tough.

Can't wait to see the final outcome.

Here is my pics showing the trim before and after painting

If I didn't do that right...forgive me. Just click the car domain link and you can see them

Thanks guys.. i think i'll keep the roof rack.. i like the oem look anyway and i might need it in the future.. Here are the door pillars, that door sill step trim and running board step. it has been a good pruductive day-off :D

btw, sorry to all you 56K users.. :ttiwwp:

Door (window) pillars i went for the oem satin/matte/semi-gloss look

Before:
they were not really in bad shape but if you really look at it you can see a couple of signs of wear.

IMG_1664.jpg

IMG_1661.jpg

here you can really tell its faded and the color is far from black. got a scratch in there too.
IMG_1662.jpg

the side area is already showing the metal part
IMG_1670.jpg

time to paint..
IMG_1671.jpg

IMG_1672.jpg

IMG_1673.jpg

IMG_1675.jpg

IMG_1676.jpg

IMG_1678.jpg

IMG_1679.jpg

still a bit tacky
IMG_1680.jpg

IMG_1683.jpg

the final result.. imho, it looks awesome :D
CIMG0875.jpg

CIMG0876.jpg

CIMG0877.jpg

with flash
CIMG0878.jpg

Running Boards
*FYI to remove black step portion of the running boards, youll need a 8mm deep socket and knee pads (specially if you dont have a garage like me)..

Before: again, not too faded but definitely grayish.
IMG_1660.jpg

IMG_1668.jpg

1st coat with dupli-color truck bed liner
IMG_1669.jpg

drying out before installation.. i used a combination of truck bed liner for texture and bite, trim paint to add that oem dark color and clear top coat for extra protection and to give a little bit of shine
CIMG0867.jpg

close ups
CIMG0868.jpg

see the bed liner texture? i love it..
CIMG0869.jpg

CIMG0871.jpg

CIMG0870.jpg

reinstalled
CIMG0874.jpg

that door sill step trim:

upper trim > faded original
small lower trim > painted with trim paint then misted with clear top coat
CIMG0853.jpg

CIMG0854.jpg

before and after
CIMG0857.jpg

i had an idea and painted the mercury word on the trim silver then re-misted it with clear coat for added durability and protection
IMG_1686.jpg

IMG_1687.jpg

ahhhh, gotta clean that mat one day.
IMG_1684.jpg

well, that's it for now.. will post the roof rack finished pics when i get the time to paint 'em.

Holy pictures, Batman!

Nice work! I like how you masked off a large area around your painting area- save from overspray. :thumbsup: Looks really good.

Where are you located? You don't have a location under your name.

You know, you can go Elite and upload all the pictures you want to this site. ;)

Outstanding project. Looking great!

thanks again for the comments! oh, i'm currently here in virginia but might move to san francisco in a couple of years (all part of life's big plan... hehehe)
Maybe later with being Elite... i'm still getting to know my mounty and dont have enough experience with it yet to dare be an Elite..
but that wont stop me from posting certain restoration stuff and fixes that worked for me.. :hammer:

very nice results
Good lookin' Mounty too :thumbsup:

*FWIW* For pristeen results I would not use news paper as a mask, I would use pasking paper desinged for paint. The reason is the pro stuff will absord and hold the dry paint more. With news paper the dry paint will blow off when you add second and third coats, adding dirt to your finnish.

That said your results still look fantastic.

very nice results
Good lookin' Mounty too :thumbsup:

*FWIW* For pristeen results I would not use news paper as a mask, I would use pasking paper desinged for paint. The reason is the pro stuff will absord and hold the dry paint more. With news paper the dry paint will blow off when you add second and third coats, adding dirt to your finnish.

That said your results still look fantastic.

Thanks man!

That's true MONMIX. but for right now as a low cost fix for textured trims newspaper works pretty well :D .
besides, i still have to restore the rest of the body paint anyway. i'll just color sand and buff out the rest of the body panels to a respectable shine like my rear hatch. though there are a few panels that needs repainting like the hood.

I have a question--how difficult is it to remove the plastic cowl pieces from the 97 Sport?

Regards,
Barry

There’s one Phillips screw right at the middle (its right there just look up and over and you'll see it). It holds both wiper cowls down and secure. Loosen this and starts prying/pulling away from the middle (one screw secures them down but the cowls are basically attached with clips) with the drivers’ side cowl first then the passengers.

wow that looks awesome thanks!!

Thanks Parad1mg...I never saw that screw before...I just took my cowl pieces off today and painted them...for those of you who also want to give this a try be careful...I cracked both of mine...the drivers side in the middle and the passenger side towards outside end...my clips were really tight and the pass side spray nozzle hose was really difficult to get back on while putting the clips back into the slots at the same time...regards Barry

Hey parad1mg, i was wondering. Exactly what type/brand of spray paint did you use on the window pillars? Yours turned out great

heh cause mine needs it BAD
fadedpillars.jpg

i used krylon fusion black semi-gloss on mine, took a few coats but works great

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I used Krylon texturized paint on my door pillars and a few other things too and it looks great,
I also did the truck bed liner on the running boards but I used the roll on kind, I did my back bumper cover with it too and it worked great.

Back