Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Offroad Tech Forums > Offroad Explorer - Ranger Projects > Offroad Fabrication - Bumpers, Sliders, Cages etc.

Notices

Offroad Fabrication - Bumpers, Sliders, Cages etc. For the Ford Explorer and Ranger entusiasts who like to build their own rock sliders, bumpers, rollcages etc.

Belly Pans

Old 09-12-2007, 07:36 PM   #1
CodePoet
Indianapolis, Indiana

1993 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Belly Pans

Hey, done alittle searching and not come up with much. I'm in the home stretch of finishing the fabrication for my SAS, going well, simple and well thought out (at least I think so lol). Anyway, after this i'm going to finish building the axle, but I'm also thinking about a belly pan for the explorer. I'm thinking about making a frame out of 2x2x.187 (or round tube if I can find a bender), attaching it forward of the bell housing, just behind the shock mounts. Then extending it back to my transmission crossmember. The crossmember is 2x4x.187 and i'm not sure I want to tie this into that so I'd probably mount it just behind that removing the x-fer case gaurd and using those mounting points. Has anyone else done this, or something similar??? Just looking for some ideas. On the surface it seems like a relatively cheap and good mod.

Something like this...paint isn't a very powerfull tool for designing stuff but it kinda conveys my idea. Of course it would bolted on, and the gray crosshatch pattern would be a solid sheet.
CodePoet is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:07 PM   #2
ProjectAviator
SE, WY
1998 Explorer XLT 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
looks like a good idea. What thickness are you thinking for the guard itself?

Tim

ProjectAviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 08:14 PM   #3
CodePoet
Indianapolis, Indiana

1993 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Not really sure, would .187 be too thick, maybe 11 gauge? I could also use UHMW but i have no clue where to buy that...

Looking for any suggesions here. And also, i'll have to figure out a way to support it somewhere in the middle...too far of a span to have the weight of the explorer sitting on it without a middle support I would think.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:30 PM   #4
Brian1
Elite Explorer
Albuquerque, NM

1991 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodePoet View Post
Not really sure, would .187 be too thick, maybe 11 gauge? I could also use UHMW but i have no clue where to buy that...

Looking for any suggesions here. And also, i'll have to figure out a way to support it somewhere in the middle...too far of a span to have the weight of the explorer sitting on it without a middle support I would think.
.187 itself with no support braces is definately not enough. I have a 1/4" steel belly on my Jeep and have bent that in places with no support. If you add UHMW to the 3/16 I think that would be ok with little or no bracing except at the edges.

Look for plastic supply in the phone book, there should be at least a few around where you live.
Brian1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 09:03 PM   #5
CodePoet
Indianapolis, Indiana

1993 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
cool, thanks for the advice
Old 09-13-2007, 09:28 PM   #6
jimbo74
Elite Ranger
Nor*Cal

98 XLT Supercab 4x2

Vehicle Specs

tap plastics should be able to get hte hookup

Old 09-13-2007, 10:42 PM   #7
dkchrist
Lurker
Fayetteville, AR

'03 Ranger XLT 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
i like the plastic idea i have personal experience with it on four wheeler and it works great but no idea on vehicles keep us posted

My Ranger for Sale

Daniel
dkchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 10:55 PM   #8
RubySlow
Pacifica Ca to be S'Pacific
BAYDESTRIAN

Vehicle Specs

sorta an offshoot what about a undercarriage pan, like on formula cars, would this help in aerodynamics?
RubySlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 10:58 PM   #9
IZwack
Moderator Emeritus
Germantown, MD

1998 Ford Explorer

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If "UHMW" doesnt turn up much on E-bay, search for "HDPE". I'm planning on plating the underside of my soon to be rock sliders with this material.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:00 PM   #10
CodePoet
Indianapolis, Indiana

1993 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Not sure if a belly pan for aerodynamics would make a whole lot of difference for an explorer...they're bricks pretty much haha. Mine is to keep rocks out of my tranny and to help me slide over crap. UHMW is used alot from what I can tell, best part is it's probably a whole hell of a lot easier to work with than 1/4"+ steel haha.

Thanks for the tip iz...my sliders will DEFFINITLY need something, I have three nice big anchors on each side with those haha.

I do want something that's easily removable since after each run it'll need a thourough cleaning...the plastic may be the best since it's lighter.

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page