Bad bearing-like noise in front end | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bad bearing-like noise in front end

Hokie

Hokius Maximus
Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 TJ Sport
Ok guys, I'm getting tired of chasing this noise in my front end so I figured I would ask for help.

I have alot of road noise/grumbling/rumbling coming from my front end. It is a rotational noise, dependant on speed (not engine RPMs). It sounds similar to what I heard when my wheel bearings were going on my '99 Sport.

I can feel the rumbling in the floorboard, it feels "rough" against your heels/feet

- I have replaced the front wheel bearings, they're nice and tight.
- I had a bad pinion bearing on the front end, so I replaced the whole diff with a low mileage (45-50k unit), filled with Valvoline synthetic blend gear oil.
- I have pulled the front driveshaft and the noise continues: leading me to believe its front end related and not t-case or u-joints. The front u-joint is new as it was required for the 4406 swap and the other u-joints are nice and tight (the front Expedition d-shaft only has 55k on it). I was also thinking that maybe the front Expedition driveshaft was putting too much of a load on the pinion (too long?) but the noise is still there when I pull the d-shaft.

The only thing left I can think of is the CV half shafts. But they usually don't grumble when they're going bad. CV's usually pop when going around corners when they're on their way out (mine do not do this).

Any ideas? :dunno:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Subsribing becuause I'm experiencing the same thing.

Subsribing becuause I'm experiencing the same thing.

Don't know if thats reassuring or disconcerting... ;)

Also, the front output shaft bearings on the t-case are nice and tight, so I know its not those either.

sounds like a mountaineer problem, I had horrible noise coming from front wheels on my ex, and since you can't replace the wheel bearings I just bought 2 brand new hub assemblies and installed them and problem solved.

Is your's coming from the left side? That is where mine is coming from. Mine also makes a noise when I'm coming to a complete stop. It's not a grinding sound but a growling/grumbling sound like you are having. It does it about every 1/2 rotation of the tire possition.

I'm going to Jon's next week 27th & 28th to do some work. He is thinking it is a bad rotor.

sounds like a mountaineer problem, I had horrible noise coming from front wheels on my ex, and since you can't replace the wheel bearings I just bought 2 brand new hub assemblies and installed them and problem solved.

Left hub assy & axleshaft are only a year old.

Is your's coming from the left side? That is where mine is coming from. Mine also makes a noise when I'm coming to a complete stop. It's not a grinding sound but a growling/grumbling sound like you are having. It does it about every 1/2 rotation of the tire possition.

I'm going to Jon's next week 27th & 28th to do some work. He is thinking it is a bad rotor.

Yeah, I think its coming from the driver's side as I can feel it while driving. I've got Powerslot rotors on there... hopefully they're not bad!

My axleshafts aren't new (138k on them) but the wheel bearing assy's are good. They were the first things I checked.

No ,I still have the AWD case.

I have the same noise. Nothing in my front suspension is over a year old. I have a feeling it is the factory set backlash in the front diff.

The front gears are always riding on the coast side of teeth unless you use them. Try driving in 4x4 to see if it goes away when accelerating.

When I get around to it I will be installing 4:88s up front and replacing every bearing to see if it goes away.

I've got Powerslot rotors on there... hopefully they're not bad!

About a year ago I had the bad grumbling/rumbling sound you described from the driver's side that surely was the hub/bearing assembly. So I swapped out the assembly and the sound was down to about 50% of what it was...so I was pissed but couldn't find what else the problem could be. It was time for new front rotors about 6 months later, so I got some AutoZone cheapies, slapped them on and suddenly my front end was as quiet as new. I have no idea why the rotors contributed to the noise, maybe the old ones were too thin and could not "absorb" vibration and noise from the hub assembly????:dunno:

I have the same noise. Nothing in my front suspension is over a year old. I have a feeling it is the factory set backlash in the front diff.

The front gears are always riding on the coast side of teeth unless you use them. Try driving in 4x4 to see if it goes away when accelerating.

Tried it on the way home from the lab. Straight line, dry pavement, accelerating/coasting in 4HI and 2WD... still grumbling.

Dan's still AWD so his front diff is driven all the time

How much TT if any do you have?

I had a similar problem, but only under hard acceleration. I checked everything, and I mean everything. I couldn't find anything wrong.

When I accelerated, my front end went up, my control arms dropped, putting too much angle on my cv's. The cv's were "complaining". Lowered my torsion bars, no more noise. This may not be your issue, but that was mine.

How much TT if any do you have?

I had a similar problem, but only under hard acceleration. I checked everything, and I mean everything. I couldn't find anything wrong.

When I accelerated, my front end went up, my control arms dropped, putting too much angle on my cv's. The cv's were "complaining". Lowered my torsion bars, no more noise. This may not be your issue, but that was mine.

None, I put the 3" BL in so I didn't have to touch the torsion bars. It does it during acceleration, while slowing down, while barely even moving...

Could it be cupped tires?

I thought that was my problem. I got new tires last week & the noise was reduced but not all the way.

As for the rotors I know mine are getting thin. I had to put pads on the end of May to pass inspection but I did not have money for rotors then.

I thought that was my problem. I got new tires last week & the noise was reduced but not all the way.

As for the rotors I know mine are getting thin. I had to put pads on the end of May to pass inspection but I did not have money for rotors then.

You are bringing some? I hope--

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

mine makes the same type of noise...along with a dozen or so others...its just the trucks character...when something needs replaced...it will really let me know :)

Back