• Register Today It's free!

Removing Center Console??

Mkrucejr

Reaction score
City, State
South Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Sport 4x4
Can anyone tell me how to get the center console out??

My passenger seat has been rattling. The back of the seat pretty much has "left to right" play in it. The bolt on the left of the seat, down next to the console, you can feel the seat back move on this bolt, BUT it feel tight by my hand. It's driving me nuts, as I drive, it just rattles non stop. I can't get to it because of where it is.

Any one have any tips to fix the seat and remove the console??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can anyone tell me how to get the center console out??

My passenger seat has been rattling. The back of the seat pretty much has "left to right" play in it. The bolt on the left of the seat, down next to the console, you can feel the seat back move on this bolt, BUT it feel tight by my hand. It's driving me nuts, as I drive, it just rattles non stop. I can't get to it because of where it is.

Any one have any tips to fix the seat and remove the console??

take out the seat instead

Bingo, an easy five minutes, four bolts. Do the back bolts before unplugging the seat.

The seat is FAR easier to take out than the console. Usually when I clean the carpet I take the front seats out anyway, so 10 minutes I have easy access to really get the carpet clean and uniform.

The console (at least in mine) is kind of a pain as you have to undo an electrical connector under the front part of the console, take all the black plastic out including what's in the armrest storage and then manage to get to all 6 bolts that hold it to the floor and then manage to dis-loge it from the hooks that also hold it down. Should take about 3 hours to get out and a lot of cussing.

Your call, 4 (5 including seat belt) bolts or 6 reallly hard to get to bolts.

Sorry for forgetting the seat belt bolt. Start with that one, those can sometimes be hell to break free.

Thanks for the input.....

think I'll work on this next weekend......

SO the seatbelt is the tough one.....

And the seat has 4....

How tough is this job anyway....

The bolt I need to get to to tighten the seat back, IF it needs to be replaced, are they hard to get?

I wish you luck, I'd like to know more about the noises, because both of my 93 seats have minor squeaks in them.

Its not a squeak....basicly, its a rattle...the sound of 2 pieces of metal clunking together....

when sitting in the driver seat, feel down on the left part of the passenger seat....there is a bolt, kinda like the nader bolt for the door. its the bolt the seat hinges on to recline....i can feel the seat move around on this bolt...there is play in it....so as I drive, its constantly clanking on this bolt....when i drive, i put my hand down there, and feel it moving it....when i hold it, it stops making noise.

Yes I agree that you likely have an easy job to do. My 86 Crown Vic had both seats have that bolt come loose. I tightened one at about the 220k mark, and later they both loosened. When you tighten it, add a couple of drops of loctite red to keep it in place. Regards,

UPDATE:

I took out the seat...took me 5mins....

went to tighten that bolt for the seat...and it just spun and spun and spun....

wouldn't tighten....wouldn't loosen.....WTF!!??

I have no idea...I couldnt move the bolt either way...i was turning it, yanking it, pushing it...turning while yanking....turning while pushing.....

I didn't know whether to get pissed....or turned on!!!!

Back