Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1991 - 1994 Explorer Ranger Navajo 1st Generation > Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers For questions related to the base Ford Explorer. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications. No modification questions.

93 XLT Ball Joints?

Old 09-24-2007, 11:31 PM   #1
n0c7
Edmonton, Alberta
1993 Ford Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
93 XLT Ball Joints?

93 Explorer XLT, V6 4X4, both front wheels have play up and down, solid from left to right. I know in most cars this means its the ball joints, does the same apply for 4X4, or is there something else I should consider? Had the thing aligned over a year ago, always pulled to the right before and after, and they never bothered to mention that the wheels have play. It barely gets any mileage so I'm just finally getting around to giving it an overhaul.
n0c7 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 09-25-2007, 12:10 AM   #2
Tbars4
Offroad/Fitness Moderator
anaheim hills,california

95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
...you are correct on the ball joints...right side is a common problem on the first gen's...the steering set up goes pretty regular also...at least they are inexpensive...

How to: Wheels,Tires, & Lifts...
Buy Explorerforum.com Items here
Tbars4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 12:32 AM   #3
n0c7
Edmonton, Alberta
1993 Ford Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
I've done regular upper and lower ball joints on cars, pop them off and rebolt. The Chilton's manual says I need some sort of special tool, looks a bit more involved. Any tips? Unfortunately this may be something I need to complete in one shot as we'll be out of a vehicle with my other car requiring more serious attention and I'm using the Explorer as primary transportation. yay.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:25 AM   #4
pokerman11
Akron,OH
'93 Limited

Vehicle Specs

I got a 93 EXP 4x4 and have had to change my ball joints about every 60,000 miles (done it three times).

If you have a Autozone nearby they have a loan a tool program to loan you the ball press. I know some other places also do a loan a tool.

If you put the new ball joint in the freezer first overnight, some guys tells you it goes in much easier.

I know harbor freight sells a ball joint tool but also need the 4x4 kit.

Be sure to change both upper/lower.

I used my clintons manual to change also - not that bad of a job - but just need a good place to work on the truck. Also if you need new brake pads - good time to change.
pokerman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 04:37 PM   #5
n0c7
Edmonton, Alberta
1993 Ford Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Turned out to be the wheel bearings, repacked, tightened, all good.

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page