Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Explorer Audio & Navigation

Notices

Explorer Audio & Navigation Audio and navigation systems. CD, DVD, MP3, GPS, Video, Mobile Computer, Speakers, Amplifiers.

How do I remove a 1996 Explorer door panel?

Old 09-19-2000, 09:08 PM   #1
audionut
Everett, WA
96 XLT 4 X 4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Angry

Hello,
I just got my Rockford Fanatic FNX1514 component speakers in the mail and I'm dying to install them in my 96 Explorer 4 door, 4 X 4 XLT.

How do I remove the front door panels? I removed two screws near the door handle on the drivers side and that's all I could find. I then started prying around the perimeter of the door panel with a screwdriver to no avail. Is there another screw somewhere that I need to remove? I'd hate to destroy my door panel. Any suggestions?
audionut is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn what modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to see less ads, no green underlined links, and many other benefits such as being able to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 09-20-2000, 01:31 AM   #2
Tony91Sport
St Charles, MO
91 Sport

Vehicle Specs

NO, no more screws, just annoying push pins. You can pull, and they WILL come out, but I wish I would have bought the tool, I suggest you do.

03' Blazer Xtreme
87' Mazda Rx7 Turbo
Tony91Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2000, 07:21 PM   #3
Nate46290
Where the parties are common and the cops arn't
1991 Explorer Sport

Vehicle Specs

Yeah just take out the screw in the upper corner and the two screws from under the door handle. Then get a flat head screw driver and have fun. When your done just pust the door pannel back on. Nothing to it.

Beer. Now there's a temporary solution.

Im crarzy about Fosgate
Nate46290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2000, 09:10 PM   #4
audionut
Everett, WA
96 XLT 4 X 4

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Yep, just got the door panel off. I went out and bought a door panel removal tool ($7) as suggested and it made it much easier. It turns out I had to remove two screws and a few of the push pins, unhook a couple of cables, and the panel is history.

Now it turns out that the 5 1/4 Rockford speakers are not a slam dunk installation. It looks like I need a spacer of some sort. The original speakers used a spacer to clear the window. Looks like I'm crusin' the web for a spacer.

Thanks again,
Carter

[Edited by audionut on 10-05-2000 at 08:01 AM]
Old 10-05-2000, 10:07 AM   #5
audionut
Everett, WA
96 XLT 4 X 4

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Just an update on my Rockford speaker installation. I ended up buying a spacer from: http://store.autotoys.com/cgi-bin/wfp53024.storefront/

Autotoys has a spacer made for installing 5 1/4 speakers in the 6 x 8 opening on Ford products. All I had to do was buy some hardware to mount the speakers to the spacer. I left the original spacer in the door and just mounted the new spacer on top using the original bolts.

Check out Autotoys, it has a lot of cool harness adapters too.

Carter

Suggest this thread to friends: