• Register Today It's free!

fusion key

quicksix

Reaction score
City, State
staten island ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 xlt
just thought i let you know just cut and programed a 2007 fusion key with built in remote and it works perfect on my 02...
2j0cmky.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Stop bragging. I really want one for mine. ;)

Now I want one..

But I only have one key with my 04... so I have to get an original key made and programmed before I can think about a fusion key. Thats gonna cost me $100 or so...:mad:

Have you actually been quoted that price? I brought in my own second key already cut and was only charged $30. I know the price is down to the individual dealer, but you may luck out.

Have you actually been quoted that price? I brought in my own second key already cut and was only charged $30. I know the price is down to the individual dealer, but you may luck out.

Yeah I called the dealer... Key plus cutting plus programming... $130
I figured I may get one at a locksmith for about $100

Check Ebay for the key. Any place should be able to cut it.

Check Ebay for the key. Any place should be able to cut it.

The problem is not the key or the cutting. its the programming.
With the PATSII system you need 2 factory keys to program a third by yourself.

I only have one key and to program a second is where the dealer comes in. once I have 2 keys, i will be able to add others myself.

I understand. Mine is the same way and I understand the procedure. If you purchase the key off of Ebay(just looked it up @ $40-50) and take it to the dealer. It will be cheaper than buying the key at the dealer.

I understand. Mine is the same way and I understand the procedure. If you purchase the key off of Ebay(just looked it up @ $40-50) and take it to the dealer. It will be cheaper than buying the key at the dealer.

Ah I get what you are saying...I should call and see how much just programming is...Tks!

just thought i let you know just cut and programed a 2007 fusion key with built in remote and it works perfect on my 02...
2j0cmky.jpg

what all went into proramming besides having 2 factory original keys? when i had to get a spare remote, they stuck the key in the ignition and twisted it on and off 5 times quickly and my doors twitched lock and unlock and it was programmed... is it that simple or do i need to get the chip in the key to match my explorer?

what all went into proramming besides having 2 factory original keys? when i had to get a spare remote, they stuck the key in the ignition and twisted it on and off 5 times quickly and my doors twitched lock and unlock and it was programmed... is it that simple or do i need to get the chip in the key to match my explorer?

It's pretty much the same process, it should tell you how in your manual.

Programming the key and programming the remote are two seperate procedures even though they're one package. Both are easy procedures listed in the manual stated above.

the reason i ask is cuz i was considering getting remote start and it would be convenient to have the key all in one and have the other remote... so all i need is 2 factory keys? y is this?

They do the two just to verify that you do infact hold the keys for the vehicle. Kind of similar to entering your password twice when you change it.

I had been thinking about purchasing a 3rd key since my nephew will be driving my ex sometimes and had been wishing ford had a key like this. Now I get me a cool key and have an extra key and remote for him to use and not run off with my keys which also happen to have the key to my Z71 on them. Just picked one up on ebay for $47 shipped and it specifically said it will work with a few other vehicles including the 04 to 07 explorers, actually had about 6 or 7 other vehicles listed.

When I had my 02 we got our second key at a hardware store with a locksmith inside it for $50 programmed, took them about 20 minutes using some little machine they plug into the car.

When I got extra keys off ebay for my 98 expedition I used to have I took them to walmart and they cut them for free. It had the previous PATS system with the odd almost square shaped ford keys. For some odd reason they worked with out me programming them.

'98s only needed one key to program. So possibly you programmed it without knowing. Starting in '99 they updated the PATs system and it required new keys. In '02 they updated it again and started using the 'more attractive' key.

sweet where did u buy urs so i can get to ordering? i checked ebay and the ones ive seen only support 04+ explorers, or at least thats what it says... will it work with my PATS system with the included programming instructions?

i wanna know soon cuz im going get a factory key made tomorrow to have two before i order the fusion key... if it says only 04 and up will it still work with 02?

Bigapple,

Sorry I was out of town and have been exhausted since I got back.

Mine is an 05 so I got the one from ebay that says it is for an 04 and up. Quicksix said he used the 2007 fusion key on his that is an 02 and the key on ebay is for an 07 fusion so it should work. It's worth a shot since it's only $40.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bigapple,

Sorry I was out of town and have been exhausted since I got back.

Mine is an 05 so I got the one from ebay that says it is for an 04 and up. Quicksix said he used the 2007 fusion key on his that is an 02 and the key on ebay is for an 07 fusion so it should work. It's worth a shot since it's only $40.

they also mention that u can send it back if it doesnt work so ill probably just give it a try... thanx for the reply

Back