rear hatch shock mounting 2001 xls 4dr | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

rear hatch shock mounting 2001 xls 4dr

I have a 2000 xls 4dr and one of the rear hatch shocks/support
mounting balls broke off. This is the male ball piece that
fits into the female piece on the hatch support strut.
It was the upper one on the passenger
side. The actual shock support is good, but this is part of the body
and I see no way of getting access to the back side. The only thing
that I can thing of doing is to cut the spot welds off the bracket,
remove the bracket and attach a new ball. But I don't know where
to get one of these ball.... Is there a repair kit for this?

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

-Almus

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

is the ball completely missing ?

I am not aware of any repair kit.

You might have to result in creative engineering.

is the ball completely missing ?

I am not aware of any repair kit.

You might have to result in creative engineering.

Yup... The ball broke off. It is gone. There is no way to get to the
other side of the bracket except perhaps to drill-out the spot welds,
remove the entire bracket and see if I can get another one....
If I can't get another one I will try to fab one. I have access to
a lathe but no ball-turning attachment.

I am scared that with one side only supported, that one side
will also break.

-Almus

The only idea I can come up with is to some how rip one off of a junk yard vehicle.
This is an odd delema I have never seen before

Isn't the lower mount the one which is suspect? Supposedly the fix is welding. If the piece is missing you are better to get one from a bad hatch in a salvage yard. Good luck,

I believe there are kits that allow you to buy just the ball part and usually the ends are threaded. Couldn't you drill out a hole, tap it and screw a new ball in? I can't remember what the mounts look like at the moment, but just throwing the idea out there.

Dan

I believe there are kits that allow you to buy just the ball part and usually the ends are threaded. Couldn't you drill out a hole, tap it and screw a new ball in? I can't remember what the mounts look like at the moment, but just throwing the idea out there.

Dan

That would be perfect if I could find one of these. I could drill it out and
tap the piece. Do you know from where these things are available?

Thanks for your help,

-Almus

I would check a parts store, they may have to order them. But if they check the lift support catalog they have a section that has different hardware pieces. I have yet to find a place online that has the hardware, but I will post a link as soon as I find one.
http://www.aetnascrew.com/bstud.htm?kc=aN76q&OVRAW=ball%20studs&OVKEY=threaded%20ball%20stud&OVMTC=advanced&OVADID=6015511021&OVKWID=64678280521
I just found a link that will let you order whatever size you need. Just have to measure the one you have to be sure you get the correct one.

Dan

that area is just sheetmatal. No place to tap any threads :(

I wish this would have happend to you a month ago. I would have cut the ones off my old lift gate and sent them to you :mad:

Ask one of the parts sources here to cut one off and send you, or a local salvage yard. It will require careful welding, the paint will get very hot, make sure to go slow. You can deal with the finish on the inner edge of the hatch, don't let too much heat get to the outer section. Good luck,

hmm

Tried to post this once already, and it ate my idea....

Have you considered getting a couple of heavy duty blind pop rivets and mounting a junkyard donor that way?

-Shawn

Back