How far can I drive with front drive shaft out? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How far can I drive with front drive shaft out?

uh60blackhawk

Reaction score
City, State
Scottsdale Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT 5.0 XLT 4wd
I have a 97 AWD with a bad transfer case. The truck drives ok with the front drive shaft out. I believe the out put shaft bearings are bad because The truck vibrates badly at all speeds I have put in three driveshafts with same results. Front hubs are new as well as both halfshafts wheels balanced tried drive shafts in all positions possible. The front out put shaft has play So I suspect that the bearing is bad. I am planning to change out 4404 transfer case with a 4406

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hopefully indefinetly since that is what i have been doing with my 97 for the past few weeks. I have the same tcase situation. Good luck

Thanks I need to drive it back to Phoenix from Salt Lake.

I drove from Indiana to Georgia and back with the front D-shaft out over the 4th of July.

Then a month later I drove from Indiana to Virginia to South Carolina and back to Virginia with it out

You'll be fine :thumbsup:

Mine has been out for a year and i get way better gas milage.

I've had mine out for a little over 2 years, with little problems ex drift in park and loss of power. However its really easy to remove i keep a 10mm 1/4" drive ratchet w/ 6" swivel extension in the glove box just in case i need 4wd.

i drive a couple hundred miles a day with it out never had a problem plus better mileage

Back