SAS With leaf springs instead of coils | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SAS With leaf springs instead of coils

Regulator_XLS

Reaction score
City, State
Barrie, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLS
Why not do an sas with leafs instead of coils, you could literally whip it together in a day, just line up the drive shaft and the new diff, mount the leaf springs, and your done, am i missing something, why has no one done this, its so easy!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

im thinking about doing it unless someone has a reason not to

There are tons of SAS leaf sprung Explorers/Rangers. Search the SAS registry, a few that come to mind are Skunk, Spas, Chief34, Yomie, buchvilleman and I believe RangerX.

You could one together in a day, but i'm not sure if it would be worth a $hit, honestly. Theres a little more involved than that.

You ahve a '99, so you have to mount a steering box, fabricate a steering shaft, make a driveshaft, measure then make your steering (drag link), mount your front spring hangers, measure and mount your shackles, mount the leaves, mount the axle, measure then order shocks, not to mention building the axle, lifting the rear, and i'm sure i'm missing quite a few things,

with all that said i built mine in 3 days and have 52 hours into it, 3 long days

LOL yeah what do you mean no one has done this? there are plenty of people.

im workin on doing it to mine but i drive it daily and its hard to drive w/o a front axle .........

Back