Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Under the Hood

Notices

Under the Hood Ford Explorer and Ranger, Engine, troubleshooting, modifications, performance and accessories.

losing antifreeze

Old 09-22-2000, 03:46 PM   #1
93SPORTIOWA
SIOUX CITY IOWA
93 SPORT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Question

hey everyone im losing a small amount of antifreeze about half a cup every few thousand miles there is no visible signs of leaking and no water in the oil where could this be going and is this normal

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 09-22-2000, 03:52 PM   #2
rock883
Unregistered

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Well I had a problem similar only worse than yours. I was losing all of the resovoir and then some in a few days after I filled it. I went to AutoZone and the guy there recommended a product called stop leak I beleive. I put it in the radiator, started it up and let it run for a while and I haven't lost anything since I put that in it. You might try it. I don't think that 1/2 cup in a few thousand miles is all that bad though.
Old 09-22-2000, 03:58 PM   #3
EB Bauer
Albuquerque, New Mexico
1991 Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

I would also check the heater core. Mine was leaking into a busted core and I didn't notice it for almost a month. Under the passenger side dash there is a box. I would take that off to get to the core and check to see if you have a wet spots or antifreeze. Hope that helps

Old 09-22-2000, 04:49 PM   #4
Ira
Northeast Tennessee
91 XLT 4x4

Vehicle Specs

You might also change the radiator cap too. As the cap gets older, the spring in it will start to weaken and that can cause a very slow, almost undetectable leak.

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.
Ira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2000, 01:00 AM   #5
Tony91Sport
St Charles, MO
91 Sport

Vehicle Specs

Go to a local auto repair shop and have them stick an auto emissions sniffer in your coolant resevior. If something is detected you can bet you have a blown head gasket.

03' Blazer Xtreme
87' Mazda Rx7 Turbo
Tony91Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2000, 06:01 PM   #6
mike91
Yonkers, NY
91 EB

Vehicle Specs

I wouldn't recommend putting any stop leak into your cooling system. Its main function is to clog up leaks - eventually it can clog your cooling system and affect performance.
b/t/w obviously check your hoses for leaks and make sure they are fastened tightly.

Mods: KKM Intake, BBK Throttle Body, Jacobs Wires, Bosch +4 Plugs, Pro Flow High Flow Cat, Flowmaster Series 50 Catback, Borla Headers (*GONE*), Sport "tuned"
Suspension featuring: Performance Products Springs, Bilstein Shocks, Energy Suspension Bushings, Explorer Express Sway Bars, Stainless Steel Brake Lines

Future Mods: A NOS 75hp bottle to blow her up.... literally!
mike91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2000, 06:12 PM   #7
flyguy
Gilbert, AZ
'07 XLT V8

Vehicle Specs

Hey.. I was having that same problem.. you know what it was? It was that little rubber hose that runs from the radiator to the reservoir... I wasnt seeing anything on the ground nor did I detect it by looking in the engine.. it was a slow leake that ran underneath the hose... I just tightened up the clamps and it was all good. Of course... thats the easy solution.. I perfer to hope for easy stuff rather than internal leaks.

nick

Old 09-30-2000, 12:05 PM   #8
RadioFlyer91

Vehicle Specs

Undetectable Leak

My 1991 XLT will lose coolant similar to yours. I traced the problem to the upper radiator hose. There is a long scientific explanation which basically boils down to temperature change/expansion and contraction. When I first start the vehicle it will leak a steady drop from this hose. It only takes about 1-2 minutes of warm up for the leak to stop. I have yet to replace the hose or clamp (broke college student) however am sure the problem lies here. To get a better grasp on the leak wait till morning, start the engine drive about 100 yards or down to the corner of the street, shut down and look under the vehicle for a leak, on the radiator support for a puddle, around the hoses for a leak, at the corners of the radiator, at the radiator cap, at the overflow, along the radiator for wet spot, at the water pump anywhere coolant flows past. Takes a little effort but this could show the leak, or drop it off the night before at a dealer with a note for the technician to do the same, just driving it into the shop for him will be enough, run it any longer and the leak will stop.

Always check the easiest solutions first then go from there!

RadioFlyer91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends: