• Register Today It's free!

losing antifreeze

93SPORTIOWA

Reaction score
City, State
SIOUX CITY IOWA
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 SPORT
hey everyone im losing a small amount of antifreeze about half a cup every few thousand miles there is no visible signs of leaking and no water in the oil where could this be going and is this normal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I had a problem similar only worse than yours. I was losing all of the resovoir and then some in a few days after I filled it. I went to AutoZone and the guy there recommended a product called stop leak I beleive. I put it in the radiator, started it up and let it run for a while and I haven't lost anything since I put that in it. You might try it. I don't think that 1/2 cup in a few thousand miles is all that bad though.

I would also check the heater core. Mine was leaking into a busted core and I didn't notice it for almost a month. Under the passenger side dash there is a box. I would take that off to get to the core and check to see if you have a wet spots or antifreeze. Hope that helps

You might also change the radiator cap too. As the cap gets older, the spring in it will start to weaken and that can cause a very slow, almost undetectable leak.

Go to a local auto repair shop and have them stick an auto emissions sniffer in your coolant resevior. If something is detected you can bet you have a blown head gasket.

I wouldn't recommend putting any stop leak into your cooling system. Its main function is to clog up leaks - eventually it can clog your cooling system and affect performance.
b/t/w obviously check your hoses for leaks and make sure they are fastened tightly.

Hey.. I was having that same problem.. you know what it was? It was that little rubber hose that runs from the radiator to the reservoir... I wasnt seeing anything on the ground nor did I detect it by looking in the engine.. it was a slow leake that ran underneath the hose... I just tightened up the clamps and it was all good. :) Of course... thats the easy solution.. I perfer to hope for easy stuff rather than internal leaks. :)

nick

Undetectable Leak

My 1991 XLT will lose coolant similar to yours. I traced the problem to the upper radiator hose. There is a long scientific explanation which basically boils down to temperature change/expansion and contraction. When I first start the vehicle it will leak a steady drop from this hose. It only takes about 1-2 minutes of warm up for the leak to stop. I have yet to replace the hose or clamp (broke college student) however am sure the problem lies here. To get a better grasp on the leak wait till morning, start the engine drive about 100 yards or down to the corner of the street, shut down and look under the vehicle for a leak, on the radiator support for a puddle, around the hoses for a leak, at the corners of the radiator, at the radiator cap, at the overflow, along the radiator for wet spot, at the water pump anywhere coolant flows past. Takes a little effort but this could show the leak, or drop it off the night before at a dealer with a note for the technician to do the same, just driving it into the shop for him will be enough, run it any longer and the leak will stop.

Always check the easiest solutions first then go from there!

Back