Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations"® > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Ford Explorer - Ranger Tires & Wheels

Notices

Ford Explorer - Ranger Tires & Wheels Want to know what size tire or wheel combo will work with your Ford Explorer or Ranger based vehicle? Interested in Beadlocks or Dubs? Learn all about them here.

4x4 Tire Myth?

Old 10-25-2007, 12:29 PM   #1
ma96782
Vancouver, WA
'94 XLT, 4dr

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
4x4 Tire Myth?

I was talking with my neighbor about local tire shops and the subject came up about tires for a 4x4.

My neighbor said, that since I have a stock 4x4 Explorer.......IF I change tires......I'll have to change all four tires at the same time.

I have heard the same thing about changing all four tires to the same size.......makes sense to me. IF, you're going to change size.

But, what if I only need one tire. Should I just get the same mfn same size and change one. (Not to mention, that the spare tire is a different mfn though the same size.)

And, what if I only needed two tires. Should I just change two (on the same axle).........again using the same mfn and size.

IF $$$ was no object.........I can see that changing all four would be nice.........but, living in the real world........I want to know?

Bottom line........is it TRUE? That 4x4s need to have all 4 tires changed at the same time for the sake of the 4x4 parts.......OR is it a MYTH?

Aloha, Mark

BTW........this is my 2nd 4x4 I've owned.....and never bought tires for either of them.
ma96782 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:38 PM   #2
Exploderpilot
Nuevo, CA (where?)

07 Titan SE

Vehicle Specs

it doesn't really matter that much as long as the tire sizes match. different brands are gonna probably have different wear properties, but as long as you aren't driving around town in 4wd with a 31 on one side and a 33 on the other side, you're fine.

Exploderpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 01:00 PM   #3
Maniak
Moderator-Stock 91-94
Vail, Arizona

1992 XLT 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
He may be talking about how different brand tires, of the same listed size can be different sizes.

i.e. my 33x12.50 BFG At KO's were actually 32.5" tall. My interco trxus MT 33x12.50 are really 33" tall.

~Mark

Old 10-25-2007, 01:34 PM   #4
techieman33
Topeka, KS

00 V8 Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
He may be thinking of AWD where tires size is much more impprtant.
techieman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 01:41 PM   #5
manaen
Clear Spring, MD
2011 Xterra Pro-4X

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
technically if the size is enough off the Auto 4x4 could get messed up and think it need to switch into 4x4 mod, but that would be an extreme case, and the small tire would need to be on the rear to make the computer think the tire is slipping. Just a theory not sure it it would really happen.

Other than that, like Techie said AWD has some issues with different tire sizes, and you could possibly burn up your TC but again that is an extreme case.

manaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 01:44 PM   #6
Joe Dirt
Elite Explorer

07 Camry

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I think his thoughts revolve around the issues of driving a vehicle with different diameter tires from having one new and one very used tire on the same axle. Wreaks havoc on the drivetrain to some cars, but I can't speak to the X...

Old 10-25-2007, 01:46 PM   #7
Fordmandan87
Royston, G.A.
in process of purchase

Vehicle Specs

well he has the first gen explorer so get one of the same manufacuturer for tire continutity (if u can) but so long as it is the same size it shouldnt matter

Old 10-25-2007, 01:47 PM   #8
manaen
Clear Spring, MD
2011 Xterra Pro-4X

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
^^^ yeah x2

manaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 05:38 PM   #9
MrShorty
Spanish Fork, UT
92 XLT and '87 Bronco II

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't know that I've ever seen a "specification" for how different tires can be. Here's my experience (in a little more detail than the discussion that got started over at FSC):

On my BII (13-50 t-case, so it had the same kind of basic part time 4wd system as on the your Explorer), the front two Good years that I had wore out, but there was still some wear left on the back two (I hadn't kept them rotated), so I bought a used set of Michelins for the front. All four were 235/75R15. If current tire specs are similar to those that I had, there could have been a difference of .2-.3 inches in the diameter between the two manufacturers (~1%). The binding/popping was definitely real. My experience is only one anecdote; I don't know what others experiences have been, but it suggests to me that a difference in diameter of as little as 1% is enough to cause problems.

I've never tried to run a pair of old and new tires of the same make/style, but it wouldn't be hard to get a similar size difference. My MT's had about 0.5 inch tread depth new. 1/2 worn, they would have about 0.25 inch tread depth. This would result in ~0.25 inch difference in overall diameter between a pair of half worn tires and a pair of new tires. If my previous experience is indicative of how much "tolerance" there can be between front and rear, this would be enough to cause problems. Looking at the specs, many tires have reported tread depth of ~ .5 inch (12-18/32). So half worn tires can be different enough from a new tire to cause problems.

I don't know exactly when "needing to replace one tire" means "replacing all four, no matter how much is left on the other three" It appears there would be some point beyond which it wouldn't pay to just replace one.

I would be interested in others experiences if they've been in similar situations.

'98 Chev K1500 Suburban SLT 4x4
MrShorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 05:48 PM   #10
smithbarry
Yorktown, VA
99 Mountaineer AWD

Vehicle Specs

Dk Exp Tire Size Matters

I have a 99 Mecury Mountaineer AWD and believe me, size does matter with the AWD! One slightly worn tire on drivers side was havoc on mine, binding, poping, etc. I replaced with 4 new tires and drives/steers great.
smithbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 06:21 PM   #11
JDraper
Elite Garage Builder
McVeytown, PA

'11 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
A half inch wear will change the circumferenece of a 30" tire by slightly over 1.5", which means that with each wheel revolution, the smaller tire will drag by 1.5", which adds up pretty quickly and will definitely bind when in 4wd on hard surfaces. In 2wd, you won't notice the difference at all. On slippery surfaces, you probably won't notice too much.

You could always buy 1 new tire and try it out. If it gives you problems, buy the rest.

"Ex"plorer's: '92 Sport, '94 Sport, '01 XLS
Our Crappy Website
JDraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 07:25 PM   #12
toypaseo
Flunked daycare
outside shovelling snow

................ 96 XLT ™

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
One of my coworkers bought a 94 Suburban, and a 96(?) Tahoe. Both vehicles had a single mismatched tire. Both vehicles had strange driveline noises. On one of them, the noise came from the location of the odd tire.

After switching to a fully matched sets, the strange driveline noises disappeared on both.
toypaseo is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page