2002 2003 2004 2005 Mirror Replace (Here's How) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 2003 2004 2005 Mirror Replace (Here's How)

HIPERCO

Reaction score
City, State
Binghamton, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer Limited
Replaced the passenger side mirror this morning. Not a difficult job at all. Here's how its done:

1)Got a replacement mirror from my local salvage store, $75 + tax.

2) If your original mirror looks like this, this how-to is for you: ;)

IMG_2287Medium.jpg

3) Remove bezel around door handle, I got it out with my fingers, but careful use of a screwdriver might help. (You must do this first, it helps holds the switch panel in place):

IMG_2286Medium.jpg

4) Remove door switch panel (again, I used my fingers), and unplug it:

IMG_2285Medium.jpg

5) Remove the two screws on the bottom of the door panel, and the one behind the door handle, and lift the panel up and off:

IMG_2283Medium.jpg

6) This is the mirror location. The gasket is held on with some sticky stuff. If you pull carefully, you can peel the sticky stuff off the metal, leaving the gasket and sticky stuff intact:

IMG_2284Medium.jpg

7) Mirror location with the gasket removed and the connector unplugged. I stuffed some paper towels in the holes, since if you drop the nuts inside the door they are probably gone forever:

IMG_2282Medium.jpg

8) With someone holding the mirror, remove the nuts. I used a deep socket, and was able to get my fingers in one of the adjacent holes to help not drop the nuts when taking them off.

9) Install the new mirror in reverse order.

I hope this helps someone. :cool:

Thank you very much! It took longer to find this link than replacing mirror!

nice, only thing is you kinda got hosed on the mirror price. you can find them for $20-35 depending on heated option or not.

otherwise, very useful thread for those who have never had to take the door panels off.

Back