FIX: Clicking Noise from the rear AC Box! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

FIX: Clicking Noise from the rear AC Box!

wchain

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT V8 2WD
After driving around for 3 weeks with a knocking/clicking/ticking in the rear AC area of the explorer, I finally delved into fixing it.

Since nobody else has done a pictoral, I decided to do one.

Here you go! Feel free to use it as a guide. It took me about an hour including time to b.s. with the neighbors.

Happy fixing!
http://redassaggie00.blogspot.com/2007/11/my-first-technical-post.html

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is just outstanding! I have been putting off digging into the back of mine to replace same, pending detailed instructions. I have stared and stared at the rear panels, while scratching my head wondering how to get to this bugger.

Did the replacement unit appear to be any more robust than the original, or should I reassemble mine with wing nuts to facilitate the next time it breaks and has to be replaced??

That is just outstanding! I have been putting off digging into the back of mine to replace same, pending detailed instructions. I have stared and stared at the rear panels, while scratching my head wondering how to get to this bugger.

Did the replacement unit appear to be any more robust than the original, or should I reassemble mine with wing nuts to facilitate the next time it breaks and has to be replaced??

unit looked exactly the same as the one I took out. Surpisingly, I cracked open the failed unit and all the gears looked ok. Must be the motor thats failed inside it. Regardless it was easy to do.

When I opened mine two of the gears were scraped smooth - my motor however, works fine.

You wanna send me the gears from your actuator box? I'll reimburse postage... :)

PM me for my address if you'll do it.

Steve

I just PAID to have this done a month or so ago!!! :-(

What were the damages ($)? I am really dreading this job (bad back).

Oh man this forum is sweet! I've been going nuts with that noise...look doable to me :thumbsup: thanks for the info.

a quick note on those thinking about doing this. Our parts dept. told me you need to bring the item in, or know the type of end on the drive shaft(it is a D shape or a # shape) The part number is the same.

Mine is clicking and this post is going to be great help. Thanks.

Thanks!!

Called the Ford Dealer near my house. They want $525 for THE ENTIRE ASSEMBLY. For that kind of dough I can engineer my own repair. Called a Ford Dealer closer to work, can buy specific part for only $75.

DO NOT EVER USE JOE MYERS FORD IN NORTHWEST HOUSTON.

Patron Mac Haik Ford when in the Houston area.

That is all I am going to say about that.

Jonathan

BTW...
made the fix and no more clicking sound.

Thanks for the original posting. Saved me money, and a lot of crap from my friend about being put to sleep from the rhythmic clicking sound.

Explorer rear climate noise

Thanks for the instructions and the forum. my '02 just started the noise. I thought the kids were pulling my leg w/ the door locks. Sounds the same. Been through lots of wheel bearings (4) and broken coils (2...2 pairs in replacement mode). Just another fix on the long termer. Still a great ride!! Wonder if their are any soft water hoses that should be replaced while it's apart? Wouldn't be good if one of them let go taken the in-laws to dinner!! I'll reply if I find any and recommend the same to other owners w/ rear climate units.

Live life, live well...

Thank you wchain, your pics and descriptions were flawless. Problem solved. Bought the part for around $86 incl. tax from my Ford dealer (after a 15% discount) and did it myself. Total time less than 2 hours. In my case, it was the rear of the two actuators (closest to the door/hatch) which controls heat / cold blend. This is a known problem and a common part at the dealership. As soon as I would move the control from cold to hot the clicking and chatter would stop. To test, you can unplug one of the actuators as well before you go out and buy a part that doesn't need replacing. I didn't use a trim tool but a long flat screwdriver.

I Had that happen to me as well BLEND DOOR ACTUATOR

Thanks for the tutorial. I had the problem for over two years. I was just turning the AC thermostat just low enough to stop the clicking noise. AC still blew cold though.

Took about 1 hour to disassemble and about 30 minutes to put back together. Now, works fully and no clicking.

When I work with tools, I look like a friggin Superman to my wife!

Just got back from Advanced Auto Parts. Dorman has released several of these actuators now, so you can get them without going to the stealership!

THIS JUST STARTED TODAY :banghead

Fixing on Sunday

THIS JUST STARTED TODAY :banghead

Fixing on Sunday

Mine started at the end of the winter. I have been putting it off since the front heat was working fine. Now the front heat it out as well. I guess I have to fix them both or freeze my you know whats off this winter!!

Good luck getting yours sorted. :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine went bad again, I just replaced them several months ago. The only way I could stop the clicking/banging noise is to set the temp just below the MAX cold. Have to contact RockAuto on that Dorman Warranty. I might have to go OEM this time.
I am in doubt if the Dorman replacement is that reliable.

-----------------------------------------------------------
MY MOUNTY
http://www.facebook.com/diyfordexplorer/photos_albums

Back