Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Explorer & Ranger Transmissions, Transfer Cases, & Differentials

Notices

Explorer & Ranger Transmissions, Transfer Cases, & Differentials Transmissions, Transfer Cases. A4LD, 4R70W, 4R44E, 4R55E, 5R44E, 5R55E, M5OD, BW 1354, Control Trac, GEM, AWD. Ford 8.8", Dana 35

Help!! 98 Xlt Installation Of Front Drive Shaft

Old 11-18-2007, 04:10 PM   #1
TCTBSKY
LOUISVILLE, KY
1998 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Help!! 98 Xlt Installation Of Front Drive Shaft

Help - does anyone out there know if there is a trick to installing a front drive shaft into the transfer case? I can't seem to figure out the proper procedure to install the bearing case and drive shaft into the transfer case. I have a 98 4.0L 4x4 XLT.
Thanks!!
TCTBSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 11-18-2007, 04:40 PM   #2
IZwack
Moderator Emeritus
Germantown, MD

1998 Ford Explorer

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Heh? the front driveshaft's ball interface looking thing just sits right into the transfer case's front output flange that looks like a cup. Then you bolt it on with I think six small but rather long screws.

Old 11-18-2007, 04:48 PM   #3
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Welcome to this forum!
BrooklynBay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 09:21 PM   #4
TCTBSKY
LOUISVILLE, KY
1998 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
You make it sound tooooooo easy!! Not my experience so far! My questions are -

What is the correct procedure to attach the drive shaft to the transfer case flange/cup? I have tried putting the ball bearing case in and then trying to place the drive shaft into the case inside the flange, but it keeps pushing the ball bearing out of the case. Or, should I be putting the ball bearing case over the end of the drive shaft and then trying to place the whole thing into the flange? Does the orientation of the drive shaft have to be in a specific position/3 oclock, 6 oclock etc..? Are there any markings I should be looking for to line up the drive shaft with the flange? Thanks for your help!!!! (I'm getting really frustrated!!)
Old 11-18-2007, 09:40 PM   #5
IZwack
Moderator Emeritus
Germantown, MD

1998 Ford Explorer

Vehicle Specs

I've re-read your last post a few times now and it sounds like you actually pulled the drive shaft apart where you're not supposed to.

Your driveshaft, as a whole, should look like the set of images below.
It should hold itself together even if you hold it vertically on either end

It sounds like you took the driveshaft apart at the rubber boot -- the "CV" joint -- which is pictured in the third/bottom image.
Attached Images

Old 11-19-2007, 08:40 PM   #6
TCTBSKY
LOUISVILLE, KY
1998 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Thanks!

Yep - that's exactly what I did! I have never had to work on this stuff before so I just thought I had to undo the bolts at the CV joint - I didn't realize the thing came apart like you showed in the pix! Thanks so much for sorting it out for me!
Old 11-19-2007, 08:42 PM   #7
IZwack
Moderator Emeritus
Germantown, MD

1998 Ford Explorer

Vehicle Specs

Thats all you should have to do to remove the driveshaft:

- unbolt the 6 bolts at the CV joint
- unbolt the 4 bolts (on the U-joint's metal strap) at the other end of the driveshaft (on the front differential's yoke)

In the picture above, the 6 bolts near the CV are on the driveshaft only because I didn't want to lose them. But they do slide right out and the entire driveshaft should hold itself together without those 6 bolts.

But if you did take apart the CV, then I think you need to either get a new/used driveshaft, or get that one rebuilt by a shop.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:38 PM   #8
climbingstiles
Truckee, California
99 Ranger XLT

Vehicle Specs

Wow I skrewed up too

I messed up and pulled my dive shaft out of that rubber boot and now I'm thrashing to get it back in. I got a puller and have been trying to remove the bearing case from the transfer case with no success, any suggestions on removing it and how to get the gear shaft back into that rubber boot? Thanks
climbingstiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:23 PM   #9
albi1cnobi1
Elite Mountaineer
South Jersey

99 Mountaineer V6 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
If you pulled the CV joint apart then you should probably go to a junk yard and pull one or get a rebuilt one from a shop or online. Once that joint is separated its never going to be right. If you're lucky a sop might fix it but you could probably get a rebuilt shaft for less than the shop would charge. If you're going to go that route then just make sure the 6 bolts are out and spray the crap out of with PB Blaster or WD-40. Then go at the CV cup with a small mallet and it should come out.

TT/Warrior Shackles/Add-a-leaf, 2" BL, 32x11.5/15 BFG A/T's, Rancho 5000's, Supplemental HHO Generator(out for cell redesign), Electric Fan Conversion, AVM Manual Lockout Hubs, Dual Battery System, Gibson cat back. EATC Mod. BW1354 swap. My 4405 To 1354 Swap Thread Support your own economy, Buy American, all of our jobs depend on it.
albi1cnobi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:11 PM   #10
msw
1998 ford explorer

Vehicle Specs

I'm curious as to what is inside of that dome shaped part (picture 2) that interfaces with the transfer case? A bearing I suspect. I have a loud click coming intermittently from this very part. Can I guy just replace this part? ... the bearing with in? ... or does the whole drive shaft assembly need to be replaced? Please and thank you for any insights you may have.
msw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:21 PM   #11
IZwack
Moderator Emeritus
Germantown, MD

1998 Ford Explorer

Vehicle Specs

The interface at the transfer case is exactly the negative/opposite of that dome shaped part. Pictures in this post:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...78&postcount=2

Old 03-04-2012, 08:36 PM   #12
drdoom
VA
1997 XLT 4.0 SOHC 4WD

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
I have heard of rebuild kits for the CV joint.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4WD-4x4-Fron...-/370581952589
drdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:57 PM   #13
msw
1998 ford explorer

Vehicle Specs

Thank you for the quick reply. What I'd really like to know is what is the name of that Dome-shaped part in picture 2 and can it be replaced independent of the front drive shaft? The (bad) clicking noise I'm hearing seems to be coming from this part (hopefully the transfer case is okay). I'm wondering if there is a bearing inside a person can get to and replace, is it best to replace the whole part (whatever it is called) or should a guy replace the whole drive shaft assembly shown in picture 1. Hopefully, this makes sense and someone can help me with insights and terminology as I begin my search for replacement parts. Please and Thank You for the help.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:02 PM   #14
drdoom
VA
1997 XLT 4.0 SOHC 4WD

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdoom View Post
I have heard of rebuild kits for the CV joint.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4WD-4x4-Fron...-/370581952589
drdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:05 PM   #15
msw
1998 ford explorer

Vehicle Specs

Oh, Okay so this is the CV joint. Does it make sense that this would make a loud click... almost a metallic snap sound when bad. This doesn't happen on every wheel rotation but it happens frequently and seems to happen at the same point as I rotate the front tire. Many thanks for the info.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:10 PM   #16
IZwack
Moderator Emeritus
Germantown, MD

1998 Ford Explorer

Vehicle Specs

As posted, that part is the "CV" or constant velocity joint, which can be rebuilt. However, considering the price of the rebuild kit, the tools you need, and the time, most people will probably opt to replace the entire driveshaft as a new driveshaft will run between $200-$300.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:20 PM   #17
msw
1998 ford explorer

Vehicle Specs

Yes, this makes sense to replace the whole drive shaft assemble for a bit more $. Looks like I would get a new u-joint as well. Thanks for helping me to determine the best path as I'll begin looking for parts first thing tomorrow.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:50 PM   #18
GuardianSport
Lindsay, ON
'00 Sport 4x4 - '98 EB

Vehicle Specs

Grave dig. Should there be any play or rotation in the front drive shaft when it's not moving? I get a terrible noise when driving around.

/\----/\ - __-\
()_)'`()_)--{}--)_)
It was a blast, old girl.
GuardianSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:39 AM   #19
msw
1998 ford explorer

Vehicle Specs

I replaced the front propeller (driveshaft) with the CV joint and new u-joint. $260 from NAPA w/$60 core exchange. On the test drive around the neighborhood the problem was solved. I turned the car back over to the wife who just drives around town and she was telling me "no problems." Yesterday I had to use the vehicle and noticed at 35+mph I hear a howling noise coming from the front drive shaft. So I'm wondering is the shaft out-of-balance? should I have greased the front u-joint? (I noticed the new one has afitting but assumed it would have been packed in factory).
Any ideas?
Old 03-14-2012, 01:28 PM   #20
msw
1998 ford explorer

Vehicle Specs

Answering my own question... apparently the new u-joint was not packed in factory and was howling for some grease. Live and learn. BTW, the original u-joint was sealed and still good at 140K miles. Lesson, if you see a grease fitting... hit it.
Answer to Guardian Sport... I have zero play in the drive shaft and only a few degrees of rotation when the car is in park. FYI

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page