Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

how to replace heater control/bypass valve

Old 11-29-2007, 02:40 PM   #1
wangmauler
Shrewsbury, MA
'98 explorer sport rust

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Exclamation how to replace heater control/bypass valve

Hey all. I've read up a bit on this site on how to replace the Heater control/bypass valve (on a 1998 ford explorer sport 4WD 6cyl), but still have some unanswered(and unasked) questions.

I went to CAP and grabbed one, was $21 bucks.

Now i'd like to replace it, but if i cut the hoses that are connected to the stock one(which is faulty), it seems like there will not be enough length left in the hoses to reach, is this true(buy new hoses) or should I be okay(cut and go)?

Also, before i start cutting, what preperation should I do so that not much coolant leaks out? is it going to spit out everwhere when I make a cut?

Thanks guys!

1998 ford explorer sport - K&N Air Filter. walmart Baja driving lights. Warrior 153 Shackles(replaced the rusted-debris that "was" my previous shackles). Zip Tie Throttle mod. ABS kill switch. Engline Kill swtich. Fuel cutoff switch. 2" Torsion Twist.
wangmauler is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 11-29-2007, 02:41 PM   #2
Blee1099
Evil Asian
Elkridge, MD

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
The hoses are simply just connected to them.. Just yank em off and then re-connect them to the new control valve.
Blee1099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 03:05 PM   #3
toypaseo
Flunked daycare
outside shovelling snow

................ 96 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Burp system afterwards.

My local Ford did not burp the system after they replaced mine, so my temp gauge reads colder and/or flutuates alot.

1992 Toyota Paseo - Tein Super Street coilovers, Whiteline swaybars 22MM(F) 20MM(R), Prothane endlinks & mounts, VVR poly control arm bushings, K&N drop-in, Dynomax Ultraflo, Gibson stainless tip, 15x7 Enkei RPF1 with 195-50-15 Firestone Firehawk INDY 500
toypaseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 05:33 PM   #4
DeRocha
NEX Vice President
Brockton, MA

'93 XLT 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ben is 100% correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blee1099 View Post
The hoses are simply just connected to them.. Just yank em off and then re-connect them to the new control valve.

Repair info NEX-New England Explorers NEX: Club Events
DeRocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 06:05 PM   #5
alohamonte
Glendale, AZ
1998 Explorer 4.0 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
valve

i replaced mine just 3 weeks ago.

i noticed when the heater control valve started to drip onto the exhaust manifold making smoke.

it's an easy fix. I did not drain the system, very little coolant spills out, just a few ounces. Open the radiator cap first to remove the pressure and you'll be fine.

dont cut the hoses or you'll wind up buying new ones. Unclamp them. Twist & pull at the hoses until the valve comes loose. and replace. it's very easy and took me 20 minutes and i'm beginner skill level.

tools needed: plyers and shop towel

1998 Xplorer 4.0 OHV 4x4, 3.73 L/S, 31x10.5 Good Year Silent Armor A/T, All Synthetic Fluids, Sony Audio System, Yakima Roof Rack w/ 3rd Crossbar, Bilstein Shocks, Silverstar Ultras, Clifford Alarm & Keyless Entry, Throttle Cable Mod, Moog Front End
alohamonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:22 PM   #6
atomixist
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
98 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Where is the HCV located on the SOHC? Where did you find out how to replace it also? I need to replace mine but I can't find it.

Last edited by atomixist; 01-14-2008 at 07:46 PM.
atomixist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 06:45 PM   #7
j0rdantay10r

Vehicle Specs

Hey guys,

I was having problems with my HCV so I replaced it. Now that I've replaced it, I get no more leaks from that area (which was originally causing my car to overheat). I believe I connected everything properly but now the heat doesn't work anymore, it just blows cool air. If I leave the heat on, it opens the valve and that's when my car overheats. If I leave the heat off, the car doesn't overheat and I get no leaks.

Can anyone post a picture of how the hoses should be connected on a '96 model 2 WD Ford Explorer Sport? I will try to post a picture of how my hoses are connected if I can figure out how.

Thanks in advance.

j0rdantay10r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:52 AM   #8
baddriver
stuart, fl
97 explorer sport

Vehicle Specs

on the engine side of this valve.. which hose goes where... it cannot be seen from the pic?

top hose -> manifold and bottom hose -> water pump???

or vice versa???
baddriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:23 PM   #9
help

Vehicle Specs

I also need to know how the hoses are ran. The heater control valve blew up a couple weeks ago and I did a work around until I could get the part. now I do not remember how the hoses are connected. Thanks for your help on this issue.
help is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:45 PM   #10
Leslie72
Texas
2000 XLS

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by toypaseo View Post
Burp system afterwards.

My local Ford did not burp the system after they replaced mine, so my temp gauge reads colder and/or flutuates alot.
How do I burp it?
Leslie72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:37 AM   #11
Prospeeder

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddriver View Post
on the engine side of this valve.. which hose goes where... it cannot be seen from the pic?

top hose -> manifold and bottom hose -> water pump???

or vice versa???
yea sombody needs to respond to this, lol i havent a clue which goes where either.
Prospeeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:20 PM   #12
funkylikeagoat
OBX, NC
Ford Ranger

Vehicle Specs

j0rdantay10r : Sounds to me like you need to replace the heater core.

To 'burp' your cooling sys. you should uncap your radiator (while cool), allow your vehicle to warm up to op. temp. this should work out any air that may have been introduced during a coolant change or adding of fluids. You will know youre successful if the coolant in your radiator swirling and void of any bubbles.... if yo u dont see coolant swirling then youre a little low so add a bit and repeat!
funkylikeagoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:46 PM   #13
Cardfan99
Shreveport, LA
1999XLTExplorer

Vehicle Specs

Don't laugh my valve just started leaking and my 1999 XLT has 252,700 miles on it.
Cardfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:24 PM   #14
koda2000
Elite Explorer
Georgia

2001 Explorer EB 5.0

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
i couldn't get my SOHC to burp to save my life after changing the lower rad hose. tried all the suggestions on how to do it. i finally decided to take it around the block. w/in a 1/4 mile the TEMP gauge pegged on high and the radiator puked into the reservoir and blew the cover open. i rolled it home, added about 1/2-3/4 jug more of antifreeze mix (once it cooled down) and then it was fine.

2000 Mountaineer 5.0L V8 auto AWD
2001 Explorer XLT 4.0L SOHC V6 auto 2WD (RIP 5/13)
1997 Explorer Sport 4.0L SOHC V6 auto 2WD
koda2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:57 PM   #15
Napu(StrongWave)
Elite Explorer
Marrero,La
2001 Sport Trac Gen 1

Vehicle Specs

How can you tell if the heater control valve is going bad? I can hear pressure building up around that area every time i start up my engine..
Napu(StrongWave) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:03 PM   #16
Napu(StrongWave)
Elite Explorer
Marrero,La
2001 Sport Trac Gen 1

Vehicle Specs

My temp gauge is working fine and the heater works well..
Napu(StrongWave) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:17 AM   #17
koda2000
Elite Explorer
Georgia

2001 Explorer EB 5.0

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
the heater control valve will leak if it starts to wear out. as far as its operation, vacuum opens it and lack of vacuum allows it to close. when open it allows hot water to flow through the heater core. if your temp gauge reads normal, the heater control valve isn't leaking and you're getting heat - all is good.

2000 Mountaineer 5.0L V8 auto AWD
2001 Explorer XLT 4.0L SOHC V6 auto 2WD (RIP 5/13)
1997 Explorer Sport 4.0L SOHC V6 auto 2WD
koda2000 is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page