Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Modified 1995-2001 Explorers

Notices

Modified 1995-2001 Explorers Questions related to modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and 2002+ Sports (2dr). Aftermarket accessories and modifications. Bullbar, running boards, floor mats, cargo mat, DVD headrest, wheels, tires, stereo upgrade, headlights, mud flaps, torsion twist, lift kits, engine swap, transmission swap.

Body lift on 1997 Ford Explorer

Old 11-29-2007, 10:49 PM   #1
willys5555
Spring TX
1997 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Body lift on 1997 Ford Explorer

I have a 1997 Ford Explorer V8 5.0L 4dr 2wd. I want to put a 3" body lift on it. I have found the lift but for them to install it it costs an extra $700. Is it extreme or do I just not know about this? I do believe it is pretty easy to do. How long would it take for 2 men to put it on? What modifications would we have to do? and does everything come included in the kits? Please if anyone has done this befor to this year or a similar year please let me know. I need help. All help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

p.s. is it cheaper or better to put a suspension lift on it? If so does anyone know where one is? I havent been able to find one. And i have also heard that the Explorer and the Ranger are the same when it comes to suspensions. Is this true? If so do they go year by year (like is a 1997 Explorer the same as a 1997 Ranger?)

Please help.

Also pictures are great. I would love to see pics of a 1997 explorer lifted or any other modifications that are good to do to Explorers. I want to customize mine.

Thanks
willys5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:59 AM   #2
Blee1099
Evil Asian
Elkridge, MD

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
You need to get a Performance Accessories body lift #853 for the Ranger plus have bumper brackets fabricated. There are drawings/templates on the bumper brackets here on the forum, just search for bumper brackets.

Body lift will be cheaper, $250 max for a body lift, suspension lift like a 4" superlift/trailmaster or a 5" RCD lift will run you atleast $1200. The Rangers are not the same.. I believe they went to a torsion bar setup in 98 compared to the Explorer in 95 and the ranger is spring over axle where the Explorer is sprung under.
Blee1099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 09:10 AM   #3
beenwrong2002
Dallas,TX
96' Ford Explorer XLT 4x4

Vehicle Specs

there are tons of 96', 97', etc explorer pics that are lifted on these forums just search around, search using keywords "before" and "after"...but since im a whore heres mine

Under Drive Pulley On the Way
beenwrong2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 08:36 AM   #4
JoeMahma
Pa.
1997 Mercury Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenwrong2002 View Post
there are tons of 96', 97', etc explorer pics that are lifted on these forums just search around, search using keywords "before" and "after"...but since im a whore heres mine
Explorwhore. LOL!
JoeMahma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 12:16 PM   #5
Ray Lobato

2006 Honda Accord

Vehicle Specs

Arrow

This forum is for stock Explorer questions ONLY
I have moved your thread to the Modified forum.

Old 12-01-2007, 01:00 PM   #6
beenwrong2002
Dallas,TX
96' Ford Explorer XLT 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMahma View Post
Explorwhore. LOL!
lol yessss

Under Drive Pulley On the Way
beenwrong2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 02:48 AM   #7
trj360
1999 XLT SOHC

Vehicle Specs

the body lift takes about a day if you know what you are doing and have a computer running explorerforum.com right next to the truck. The only thing i had to "fabricate" was to grind down a little bit of the steering extension so it would fit...Some people sound like they fabbed their whole truck.
trj360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page