• Register Today It's free!

Solenoid Block Replacement

tmeraw

Reaction score
City, State
Victor,NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 XLT
I need some expert opinions: I have a 2003 Explorer XLT 4wd 4.0l ohc and believe after reading for hours and hours on this forum that I need to replace the Solenoid Block. I believe that my trani is a 5r55w(agreed?). I found a guy selling new solenoid blocks on e-bay for $100 which is a good deal if it is the proper one. Dealer told me part number was 4L2Z-7G391-AA but this one is listed as 1L2Z-7G391-AE (see listing:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-0...013QQitemZ230202156786QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Is this the right part for my truck?

Thanks,
Tim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No I do not have a code but based on my symptoms and what I have read I believe that this is the fix. It is a long sad story about how all my problems started when I had a simple filter and gasket replacement at a local AAMCO..I won't go into it now.

The problem is when the trani and vehicle are cold it will not easily go into reverse or Drive from Park and if still cold will slip from D into Neutral when sitting at a light. The gear can be slowly engaged by a quick feather of the throttle bring RPM's up to the 2-3k range and it feels just like letting a clutch out. Once it is well warmed up there is no noticeable problem. I think it is the EPC solenoid so a block replacement is in order.

If anyone thinks I am wrong or it could be something else I'm all ears...short of a rebuilt trani that AAMCO is offering for $1800...minus the parts and labor they spent creating my problem of course.

wow, thanks for that link, Brooklyn. I spent about an hour looking at it.

I think I'll wait before tackling one of those. looks like some 'spensive parts inside that baby ! **

.....jjf

** not going to find many of those in the discard pile to rob parts from..... :)

I have a 2003 ford explorer with a fault code PO775. The O/D light keeps coming on and off and the need service soon light is on. It seems there is pressure control problem when I am shifting gears. Do I need a new solenoid block and can I repair it my self.
Thanks,
Jersey guy

I replaced the solenoid block and did a band adjustment and it didn't fix mine. It's probably the servo bore on mine. I sent it to the transmission shop for a rebuild. The servo bore seems to be a very common problem on vehicles with more than 70,000 miles that have the 5R55W trans. Sorry.

Mark

Dealer told me part number was 4L2Z-7G391-AA but this one is listed as 1L2Z-7G391-AE

Back from the dead... Did you end up getting this part and installing it? I bought a part off of ebay that had Ford 9L2Z-7G391-AA in the title, but has Bosch 1L2Z-7G391-AE on the part received. Just want to make sure it is okay before I install it.

Update: Stock part removed from the vehicle was stamped Bosch 1L2P-7G391-AF. I replaced it with Bosch 1L2Z-7G391-AE and it seems to have solved my harsh shift from park to reverse. No other apparent issues.

Back