Erratic idle/stalling when put in gear | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Erratic idle/stalling when put in gear

NEWFS02X

Reaction score
City, State
Manitoba,Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 E/B 4x4
Hello guys/gals.
When shifting my 02 EB into drive the rpm drops down to a near stall and then jumps up higher than normal idle speed and you have to hold the brake hard.

Sometimes it stalls completely. Does the same thing in reverse. Sometimes I have to footfeed it to get it past that point and then it is fine.

It runs fine. Starts great. Just when it is placed in gear. Seems like its anticipating the load of the torque convertor and tries to over compensate if that makes any sense.

No CEL. Engine is a 4.0 SOHC. No other drivability issues other than gas mileage has dropped 3-4 mpg on average.

Last year I replaced the DPFE valve. I disassembled that again. Tubes are clear and no condensation.

I removed the EGR and checked it and it functions fine. No abnormal carbon buildup and it seals fine. I cleaned it.

I removed the IAC and cleaned it as well.

The throttle body/plate was extremely dirty and i removed it and cleaned it and the inside of the plenum as far as I could get.

Any ideas before I close the hood and test drive to see if one/more of the above has corrected it?

I plan on running seafoam through it as well.

Thanks..........John:ca:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Erratic idle

Hello Brooklyn Bay...is the TCC external on the trans or attached to the VB?

A friend of mine suggested having the computer 'reflashed'.?

John

5R55W solenoid pack is internal. I changed mine as well as the fluid and filter, and then cleared the TCM (batt disconnected, headlight switch on and hold the brake pedal) and now it shifts great. Mines an 02 4.6L V8 but it has the 5R55W as well.

DO NOT buy a 'rebuilt' pack. Go to Ford, or theres a guy that sells them here. I hear theres a guy on ebay that sells them for a good price too.

Did you disconnect the IAC to see what that did to idle?

How about the Mass Air Flow sensor (MAF) those need to be cleaned with electrical contact cleaner esp if you run a K&N or other type of Gauze filter.

Try cleaning the MAF sensor. Mine did this when I first got it. Cleaned the MAF and the problem went away. I just used non-chlorinated BraKleen, but CRC chemicals makes a specific MAF sensor cleaner. Most parts stores carry it.

Erratic idle

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I have just put everything back together.

As I indicated in the previous post I cleaned the TB, IAC, EGR, DPFE tubing, and the MAF sensor with the proper contact cleaner.

I also replaced what appears to be the original fuel filter as I noted a green dot on it. From working on Fords for quite some time usually original equipment usually had a coloured dot or some sort of paint daub on it. I could be wrong in this case though.

Fired her up. Ran smooth. Although she ran smooth before. In Drive and Reverse the idle just dropped slightly and then picked up to normal.

However, I'll have to drive it for a while and see if the condition persists.

I'll keep you posted and again...thanks for all the suggestions.

BTW..no CEL on as of yet.

Thanks...John

Idle problems

So far so good. Took her out for a drive and it runs very smooth. Idle problem hasn't surfaced yet. I'll have to drive it for a couple of days to see if it persists as it wasn't all the time.

I do notice that the truck is much, much smoother than before. Tach doesn't float anymore. We'll wait to see what happens..

I'll keep ya posted.;)

Idle problems

The dreaded idle problems are back.

Although the truck runs extremely smooth, accelerates well and has shown an improvement in mpg it still stalls when put in gear. So the cleaning of the items previously mentioned wasn't labour in vain..lol.:confused:

Fired her up today and let her warm up as it is cold and lots of snow here.
Went to back it down the driveway and when put in reverse the idle dropped of course like it should but then idled down further and further and then shut off. Fired right up. Back into reverse where it immediately shut down.

Backed it up to clean the driveway. Put her in Drive and immediate stall. Did this 3 times but on the 4th I foot fed it and it moved forward just fine and idled perfectly.

Any other ideas? Still no CEL.

Idle problems

It's a US vehicle so it is in miles..has 104,000 on it.

John

stalling

Is this something I can do myself? I rebuild engines and restore vintage cars so it shouldn't be too tough should it? Cost?
Will there be a tranny code logged for the block?
Thanks BrooklynBay....John

stalling problem

Truck is still stalling when put in gear. Spoke with the local ford dealership's top tech today and filled him in on the problem.
He feels that it isn't the solenoid block because when it stalls I put it in neutral start it and it immediately dies.
The tcc isn't applied at that point in neutral.

Today the vehicle did it on several occasions. put it in reverse and while still holding the brake pedal the idle sunk quickly down and then it picked up instantly on its own and attempted to 'lunge forward'.

Did it in drive several times. Put it in gear...idled down...shut off. Sometimes it lunges forward...sometimes it stalls. Fires right up, then dies. Fire up ..dies. If I hold the accelerator a tad it stabilizes and is ok.

He's thinking a solenoid sticking open maybe to a cannister as that would give it the same effect as a huge vacuum leak.

Any other ideas...? Brooklyn Bay???

Thanks and sorry to be a pain ...John

My 03 with only 65k on it has essentially the exact same issue(s), with the exception being that the wife says it has been having a random stall/hesitation lately at stop lights while in gear.

Same otherwise, though.. Drop in idle speed then severe spike, and 3-4mpg drop in mileage.

It is going in with the tax money.. I've gone through the vacuum system and beyond that.. My personal thoughts are intake manifold gaskets, but unfortunately I don't have anyplace I can tear into and find out.

I feel your pain

The 2002 Explorer EB 4.0 is a nice vehicle....BUT, boy have I had troubles. I bought our 02 Explorer in 2006 and I have paid for some major repairs. First, the 4x4 was engaging when it shouldn't have, replaced the 4x4 module, $300 later, problem was fixed. Then, the vehicle wouldn't start on occasion. New fuel pump (inside tank), new plugs and wires, problem was 'sort of' fixed = $600. Latest problem is the gas pedal sticking. Had the throttle cable replaced today for $180.

BUT, my vehicle has had the stalling/lunging issues since the day I brought it home. Sometimes it stalls, sometimes it lunges. You never know which situation you will get, so you better be ready. Anyone have a fix for this annoying situation? It's embarrassing to crank your vehicle over in a parking lot and it won't start. It's also dangerous for the vehicle to lunge forward/backward as it sometimes does. I can't believe this isn't a recall.

Good luck, any advice greatly appreciated.

erratic idle

ummdh...I too noticed a 3-4 mpg drop . Initially I thought it was the severe cold we are having up here right now but then I recalled during last years cold winter months it got much better mileage.

Yes, 4MYBOYZ...I certainly don't understand why this isn't a recall but then again yesterday I had my friend at the local Ford dealership pull up all recalls and no complaints from the public about this problem. I guess if they don't get the complaints initially after the car is in its first few years of age..it's not a problem.

Certainly dangerous though...you're right..it lunges forward or backward without warning...

Hopefully someone will chime in who has gone through this problem.....thanks all.....John

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have pretty much the same problem. I have an 03 4.0 with 53k miles on it, it's been doing it since about 40k. but the only difference from what you are explaining is that mine *only* happens when i put it in reverse, not drive. It did it yesterday actually for the first time in a couple months..didn't stall just acted like it wanted to then lunged a lil bit. other then that, it runs/idles/drives fine. i think they have a mind of their own. haha

Back