Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2002 - 2005 Explorer Mountaineer 3rd Generation > Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers

Notices

Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers and Mountaineers. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications. Sport Trac and Sport use the 1995-2001 forum.

2002 Explorer front wheel bearing question

Old 12-27-2007, 04:08 PM   #1
NEWFS02X
Manitoba,Canada
2002 E/B 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
CAN 2002 Explorer front wheel bearing question

Any reason why the front bearing can't be removed/replaced in the front hub of these vehicles instead of replacing the entire hub assembly?

I just got a price of $163 up here for Fenco (low line); $266 for CR; and $250 for Bower.

Has anyone ever pressed them out and replaced them?

thanks....John
NEWFS02X is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:58 PM   #2
NEWFS02X
Manitoba,Canada
2002 E/B 4x4

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Front wheel bearing replacement

Anyone???
Old 01-24-2008, 03:42 PM   #3
Merc02
2002 Mountaineer 2wd V8

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
front bearing

Wow, I'm new here and can't believe no one has replied. I've had to replace both hub assemblies. Dirver's side in Dec '06 and pass side Dec '07. I see parts available to have them pressed out, but I don't know what it takes to get them out and back in properly. I bought the first at the dealer for $158.00, after I asked nicely for a discount. I got the second at rockauto.com, Here's a discount code good til feb 5 2008 for a 5% discount. The 5% actually covered my shipping cost plus some. I paid under $110 total.

* Enter your discount code (and no other characters or spaces) in the "How did you hear about us" line of the shopping cart.
* If you are using our traditional HTML catalog, please click the "Set" button to the right of the field.
* Your discount will automatically appear, subtracted from your order total.

TIMKEN Part # SP470201

Last edited by Merc02; 01-24-2008 at 08:08 PM. Reason: found current discount code
Merc02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 03:33 PM   #4
34Ford
North Carolina

Vehicle Specs

Well I thought you possibly could since there is bearings for sale to fit the hub.
But after looking my old hub over real close it appears the factory has installed the bearings then used high pressure to press the steel of the hub around the bearings to keep them in place.
Removal of the material would mean there is nothing there to keep the new bearing in place.
Not sure if there are pressed fit or not. But they sure made it so they would never be just merely pressed out.

'01 Lincoln LS
34Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 03:42 PM   #5
btexpress
Westminster, Colorado
2000 Ranger XLT 4X4

Vehicle Specs

Don't know of any available except the assembly with the hub.
btexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 05:42 PM   #6
roh92cp
Fort Kent Maine
2002 Explorer xlt

Vehicle Specs

I did have the bearing pressed in for the rear on one side major pain, would have been better to buy the hub assembly which I did when the other side went. I just replaced the front this week and the bearing and hub assebly with speed sensor was $130 from http://www.tascafordparts.com very easy to instal.
roh92cp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 08:47 PM   #7
Rar
Winnipeg, Manitoba
2002 Explorer EB

Vehicle Specs

CAN

I had to replace the Rear Passenger Side and pressed out the Bearing, using a 20 Ton Press, anything smaller won't do it. Can't imagine the Front being much different.

Rar
Rar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 10:49 PM   #8
NEWFS02X
Manitoba,Canada
2002 E/B 4x4

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
CAN Bearing issue

Hello Roger...good talking to you over the phone.

I just had a look at your F150..that's one clean truck! No rust??

Price is certainly in the ballpark for the shape it's in .

Good luck in selling it....John
Old 01-28-2008, 09:18 AM   #9
just2L
South Dakota
02 XLT

Vehicle Specs

I had the left front and the right rear go on mine at the same time. I bought the hub assemblies from a junkyard off an 05 with 20,000 miles on it. The front one swaped out but had to press the back one out and replace it with the 05. The front one took 20 mins. The back one took 3 hours while messing with the press.

All in all it cost me $240 for the hubs and labor for a mechanic to press the the rear hub out and replace it.
just2L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 11:49 AM   #10
NEWFS02X
Manitoba,Canada
2002 E/B 4x4

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
CAN hubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by just2L View Post
I had the left front and the right rear go on mine at the same time. I bought the hub assemblies from a junkyard off an 05 with 20,000 miles on it. The front one swaped out but had to press the back one out and replace it with the 05. The front one took 20 mins. The back one took 3 hours while messing with the press.

All in all it cost me $240 for the hubs and labor for a mechanic to press the the rear hub out and replace it.

I'm assuming that when you say the front one swapped out you're referring to the entire hub assembly..correct? Not just the bearing.

........John
Old 01-29-2008, 09:37 AM   #11
just2L
South Dakota
02 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Yes that is what I meant, it took about 15 minutes from start to finish on the front the rear one was the issue.
just2L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:59 AM   #12
NEWFS02X
Manitoba,Canada
2002 E/B 4x4

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
front bearing

thanks.............
Old 01-31-2008, 09:15 AM   #13
sfbayjay
Cleveland-ish, OH
2002 XLT SOHC 4L V6

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Question

Hi all,

After a routine dealer inspection/maint visit, they told me that my 2002 XLT needs a new front left hub/bearing assembly (Quoted me $350). I don't notice anything while driving (no noises, etc.). They didn't drive it, either -- just had it up on the lift.

A local independent shop tells me that if I don't notice anything while driving then I probably don't need a new bearing/hub. They say that "I will know" when the bearins go bad -- either steering will be funny or I will get some serious noise from the front end.

I'm nervous about just driving until I hear terrible noises. Won't I do more damage or have the wheel sieze or something?

What can I do to check this out and make sure I don't need new bearings? Maybe check for play in the wheel when it's off the ground? How much play is tolerable?

Thanks for any advice!

From what I've read, it looks like I could probably change this thing myself -- but I don't have any "specialized" tools. I think I would need to buy a large socket (and a breaker bar?) to remove the driveaxle nut, maybe a puller to get the old hub assembly off the driveaxle, and obviously a torque wrench.

Is it worth buying all the stuff to try it myself, or should I go with a local quote I've got for $272??? I found the part online (Timken SP470200) for $125. How hard would this be for a "rookie"?

Finally -- are there any additional seals or other parts I'd need to buy, or just the hub/bearing assembly?

Thanks a million!
sfbayjay is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page