Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

Need Help Improving My Explorer's Ride Quality

Old 12-27-2007, 05:53 PM   #1
ExplorerSport2WD
Rochester, MI
'01 Sport 2WD XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Need Help Improving My Explorer's Ride Quality

I am a new user to this site who recently re-took possession of a 2001 Sport 2WD; which served two kids very well during their years at college. But I was shocked after driving the vehicle (for the first time since it was new) to discover just how sloppy the suspension and steering was on the vehicle. The back end loses contact with the road at higher speeds and rough road conditions, and the suspension feels like the vehicle is slamming against the pavement.

Now I'll admit that suspension and overall ride quality (even as a brand new vehicle) were not my Explorer's strongest attributes. But ride quality was substantially better then, than it is now after having provided 75K miles of faithful service.

My initial suspicion is the vehicle needs new shocks, rear springs replaced and new tires. Then after high speed balancing new tires and checking front/rear alignment to see that it’s within factory specs, we can evaluate the effect on ride quality and if necessary, tweak things from there.

In an effort to avoid wasting a lot of time (and more importantly money) trying to resolve and improve the ride quality issue, I'm curious to know what experience other users would be willing to share on this topic. For instance, has anyone had particularly good experience with a specific brand and model of tires on their Explorer? I'm running on the factory issued P23570R16's and am reluctant to change tire sizes for fear of causing another problem. Likewise, the shock and replacement of rear springs, I'm not comfortable moving away from OEM products without guidance from someone who's experienced improved results.

Any other advice that anyone can offer to improve ride quality would be appreciated. I just don't want to modify the suspension system that Ford designed in the vehicle initially, for fear of negative results or more importantly creating an unsafe condition in the vehicle.

Thank you in advance for your comments and input!

Last edited by ExplorerSport2WD; 12-27-2007 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Correct grammer
ExplorerSport2WD is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 12-28-2007, 12:21 AM   #2
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Welcome to this forum!
BrooklynBay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 05:04 AM   #3
unclemeat
Elite Explorer
Richmond, VA

91 sport

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Inspect all suspension bushings, replace with rubber if necessary. A new set of shocks, I like Bilstein 5100s (mono tube). Check your tire pressure with an accurate gage. Less presure, lower spring rate, smotther ride.
unclemeat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 06:53 AM   #4
ExplorerSport2WD
Rochester, MI
'01 Sport 2WD XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Will do. Thank you for the comments and advice.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:38 AM   #5
Sams01XplrSprt
Southern Cali Explorer
Newport Beach California & Bay Area California

2001 Sport (sold)

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
welcome explorer u got pics of ur sport

Old 01-23-2008, 12:06 PM   #6
hunterdan
Fairless Hills, Pa
2010 Chevy Silverado

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Are you looking into trying to tighten up the suspension? Looking for a firmer ride or smoother/softer ride? AS far as shocks, Monroe Sensatracs or Reflexes should work well. I would check the bushings, although I've yet to do them on my 98.

Dan

Gone: 1998 Ford Explorer Sport, lifted with all the cool stuff
hunterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 12:58 PM   #7
ExplorerSport2WD
Rochester, MI
'01 Sport 2WD XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Soften it up some, as the vehicle rides like a boulder bouncing on the pavement. I'm concerned that it'll knock out my fillings if I don't address it soon. Thank you.

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page