Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Ford Explorer Sport Trac Forums > 2001-2005 Explorer Sport Trac

Notices

2001-2005 Explorer Sport Trac All questions related to the 2001-2005 Explorer Sport Trac model.

Squealing noise while driving!

Old 01-04-2008, 09:09 AM   #1
TracSport
Bloomington, IL
Looking

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Squealing noise while driving!

Every once in a while at random times while it's colder than 30 degrees, I hear a loud squealing noise coming the front of the truck which ends up really squealing from the back. When I open up the back window, you can really hear it coming from in between the bed and cab. At first I thought it was the belt which is new as of this past summer so I sprayed some belt spray on it. It does not squeal in park, only while driving. Has anyone come across this weird situation? It's really embarrassing , almost more embarrassing than my horn issue!
Thanks.
TracSport is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:18 AM   #2
glfredrick
Elite Explorer
Louisville, Kentucky

86-98 Ranger STX

Vehicle Specs

It almost sounds like your belt is slipping badly when the fan kicks in (automatic fan clutch on Explorers).

I'd change the belt and see what happens.

I'd also check the power steering unit to make sure it is filled properly.

Try to duplicate the noise with the hood up so you can isolate the cause. Sometimes a mechanic's stethascope can be helpful. It lets you hear a bad bearing in a water pump, alternator, etc.

A couple of things I'd check...

1. Is it RPM related (speed up when you press the throttle in neutral)
2. Is it drivetrain related (not dependent on engine speed, but vehicle speed)
3. Does it happen when you are turning, pressing the brake pedal, etc.?
4. Is it on acceleration or deceleration -- or drive coast at speed?

If it isn't the engine, it could be a bad bearing in the 4x4 system or something.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:47 AM   #3
TracSport
Bloomington, IL
Looking

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
It has to be speed related. Like I mentioned before, it will not squeal when in neutral, even over 3000 RPMs (that's another question, everyone says there is rev limiter). The squealing happens when I'm going over 20 mph on acceleration and de-acceleration to a point and when colder than about 30 degrees but this does not happen all the time. It almost does sound like it's coming from the drivetrain. The belt feels snug and I put belt dressing on it to help it from slipping and drying out.

Thanks for the reply!
Old 01-04-2008, 10:17 AM   #4
billz260
Tulsa, OK
'94 Sport

Vehicle Specs

I have a simular sound, but i'm pretty sure it's been with the truck since I've had it (12 years). Whenever it's cold, it sounds like a belt but i don't think that's what it is. I suspect cold bearings in the alt or water pump, but it almost always goes away as soon as you put it gear and drive off.

EDIT:Sounds like we have different issues.
billz260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 02:49 PM   #5
TracSport
Bloomington, IL
Looking

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
After driving around this afternoon, the noise is most noticeable when driving at a constant speed or letting off the gas. The minute I hit the gas, it goes away until I let off the gas again. After a stop, such as at a stop sign, it might not even make the noise until a later time. Very weird. I still can't reproduce the sound in park or neutral.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:39 PM   #6
IZwack
Moderator Emeritus
Germantown, MD

1998 Ford Explorer

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quite obvious its drive train related -- probably a bearing in either the transmission or the rear differential -- check for play at the rear differential's pinion flange.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:24 PM   #7
svaby
Canal Fulton , Ohio
sport trac 2002

Vehicle Specs

Ah im glad i seen this i have the same sound in my 02 ST and it's only when it's cold and when i am on the gad not off of it... seems like it's comming from somwhere up front to me when i try to listin to it like behind the dash it seems so damn close...
svaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 09:22 AM   #8
TracSport
Bloomington, IL
Looking

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
My squealing has gotten so loud at times, I know for a fact it's coming out the rear end. I also took it in for a mechanic to hear it and they believe it's the U joints in the rear end. I still need to take it back so he can keep it for the afternoon and actually get under the truck to look.

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page