I Am Ignorant Spring loaded reset button | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I Am Ignorant Spring loaded reset button

sjj814

Reaction score
City, State
Farmington, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
OK so i Must be ignorant I am not completely a car guy, but i try to be...My theft system has caused my 2002 explorer to stop working. I need to find the spring loaded reset button. It supposedely is under the driver's dash.....the only problem is I CANT FIND IT?? does someone have a picture of it or a better description of it???

Sorry for being Ignorant!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not 100% but you could try this:
Put the key in the ignition, and turn forward
all the way just before cranking. Then within
5 seconds, locate, press and hold in the
valet/overide button, found under the
dash area, (push button, spring loaded)
until the installed LED (the blinking light)
in your dash area goes on solid,
and the siren chirps once.

(Your valet switch might be the toggle
(on/off) type. in this case, key on,
flip switch in opposite direction,
then turn the key off.)

This should reset the alarm, and reset
the grounded relay on the starter wire,
allowing you to start the engine.

At this point, the only thing working would
be the keyless entry from the alarm,
if it came equipped that way.

Just Repeat these steps to place it
back to usable armed mode.
You may get 2 chirps, confirming it,
and the lights may flash twice as well.

That should do it.

If that doesn't work, you could try and disconnect the negative terminal of the battery for about 15 min. That should clear the ECU of anything.

Search around on this site too. Welcome to the forums. :cool:

Your key...

OK so i Must be ignorant I am not completely a car guy, but i try to be...My theft system has caused my 2002 explorer to stop working. I need to find the spring loaded reset button. It supposedely is under the driver's dash.....the only problem is I CANT FIND IT?? does someone have a picture of it or a better description of it???

What key did you use? Wasn't the dealer key...

it is the dealer key. The only problem is i cant find the (valet/ override) button at all. Once again it may be in my ignorance?? who knows?

this sounds silly, but do you have another dealer key to use or have you already done that... (before you reset)

i have only got the one key??

The chip in the key could have gone bad. Had that happen in my 02 Mounty last year. I don't know if this happend to yours, but it might be the key itself not making ur truck start.

To fix the key, the dealer had to reprogram the key

Then you should follow Froader's advice... And so you don't get stuck on the street, you should get that second key made. As far as I know, there is no button under the dash... but I will see if I have one on mine - be right back. If there is a button, I prefer to eat my crow with butter. Be back.

No button found...

Don't worry about it, at least you know your security system works. Do you have an aftermarket remote start? It's said that they can affect your factory system (certain brands). The above advice is your answer. (not ignorant... I've had mine for 5 years now, and just found out last year that it had a factory alarm).

ok..thanks for the help, but according to Froader there is a valet/override button WHERE is this located what does it look like...that i think is the problem???

I have a factory key and it all works good. I had that tested.

ok..thanks for the help, but according to Froader there is a valet/override button WHERE is this located what does it look like...that i think is the problem???

I have a factory key and it all works good. I had that tested.

no, he is mistaken. there is no override button, period.

no, he is mistaken. there is no override button, period.
Good grief...
I searched google and found what I quoted, so I have no idea if there is one or not. I have a 92. :rolleyes:

Have you tried the neg batt cable yet?

alternate option

If he says his key was checked out and is good, then it can't be the key. If it were me, I'd have the computer in his truck reset, and the only way to reset the computer is to plug in from under the drivers side dash which only dealers can do or a shop that has a computer that can reset his trucks computer.

Good grief...
I searched google and found what I quoted, so I have no idea if there is one or not. I have a 92. :rolleyes:

Have you tried the neg batt cable yet?

I have tried the cable...didnt work....

But i just tried something else...and BOda BING!!! it WORKED...I took the fuse for the PATS system out let it sit 15 mins and then IT STARTED....now i just have to hope that the theft system does not crash on me again when I am on the road .

Thanks to all of you that have helped...you gave me some pointers that eventually led in a direction that atleast got my explorer started :)

If the engine IS immobilized...

If he says his key was checked out and is good, then it can't be the key. If it were me, I'd have the computer in his truck reset, and the only way to reset the computer is to plug in from under the drivers side dash which only dealers can do or a shop that has a computer that can reset his trucks computer.

how was the key validated? I think Froader said what you said, alternate option - computer reset. No one is wrong, we are all saying the same thing. :cool:

(don't forget the 2nd key)

But i just tried something else...and BOda BING!!! it WORKED...I took the fuse for the PATS system out let it sit 15 mins and then IT STARTED....now i just have to hope that the theft system does not crash on me again when I am on the road .

Thanks to all of you that have helped...you gave me some pointers that eventually led in a direction that atleast got my explorer started :)

(get that key too... good luck!) :cool:

the key is a ford manufactured key...it is the original key

If this continues i will probably have to get it reset...Only thing is I dont want to put the money in to it :)

Understood...

the key is a ford manufactured key...it is the original key

If this continues i will probably have to get it reset...Only thing is I dont want to put the money in to it :)

Just imagine, you go to the grocery store at 11:30 at night, you come out, immobilized again. I'm thinking about having a 4th key made just because you never know :shifty_ey Suerte man@!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just imagine, you go to the grocery store at 11:30 at night, you come out, immobilized again. I'm thinking about having a 4th key made just because you never know :shifty_ey Suerte man@!

You are right...they are exspensive to have that 2nd key made though...We will have to look into it though

Thanks again

Back