Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

knocking noise under truck, need help!

Old 01-07-2008, 03:58 PM   #1
jad2411
I'm a jackass!
El Paso, TX

blue 02 xlt & white 02xls

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
knocking noise under truck, need help!

Ok so it's been a while since the noise started, here's what I have done to my truck since:
4 new Monroe sensatrack shocks
reman rack and pinion
2 new cv axles
brake job (4 wheels)
new left upper control arm
2 new hub assemblies
2 new torsion bar adjusters
reman transfer case
removed front shaft (need to get a new or reman one)

Over 3k spent on repairs and noise just won't go away, am I missing something? dealer told me to change the torsion bar adjusters, which I had already done with no results at all,what is there left to do??? with all of that money I could just have bought another truck
jad2411 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 01-07-2008, 04:21 PM   #2
chriswells78
Powell(Columbus), OH
96 XLT 5.0 4x4

Vehicle Specs

When do you hear the knocking noise? Over bumps? Under acceleration, under braking?

Old 01-07-2008, 04:30 PM   #3
jad2411
I'm a jackass!
El Paso, TX

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
most of the time :mad:

That's why I haven't been able to find the problem, but you can hear it during regular driving, don't need to do anything for it to happen, it just does and sometimes it will last thru the entire lenght of the trip, sometimes it will just do it randomly.

First shop I took the truck to told me it couln't be the CV axles as my truck didn't have any (not doing bussines with them as the don't seem to know that 4x4's DO have those) next shop I went to told me that CV axles were not the cause of the noise, but that I needed to replace them as one was already about to break, that's when we found out the upper arm was done, so I took it to a 4x4 shop, to a suspension and to a transmision shop and nobody knows the reasson
I really don't have any more money to spend on things that I might not need
Old 01-07-2008, 04:40 PM   #4
chriswells78
Powell(Columbus), OH
96 XLT 5.0 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Have you though it might be something silly like a piece of trim flapping in the breeze? Seems like you have really covered most of the major problem areas of 2nd gen explorers and then some.

Old 01-07-2008, 04:46 PM   #5
jad2411
I'm a jackass!
El Paso, TX

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Yes

First thing I thought was the spare tire, a co-worker had a similar noise and he found out that the spare tire was loose so I took it out, no luck, looked under the truck when they lifted the truck to install the shocks to see if something was loose and couldn't find anything that could be loose and swing during driving to make the noise so, I'm really frustrated
Old 01-07-2008, 05:46 PM   #6
brianjwilson
98 Ranger, 05 Sport Trac

Vehicle Specs

Have you checked the common things like lower ball joints and sway bar bushings and endlinks?
The sway bar bushings seem to be really common. Sometimes you can tighten the crap out of the endlinks and it will get rid of the noise, other times they need replaced. Often, they won't feel loose when you try to move them by hand.

2005 Explorer Sport Trac 4x4 locked and lifted on 33's
1998 Ford Ranger 4x4 on 33's
1997 Ford Explorer 4x4 on 31's
brianjwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 07:27 AM   #7
Provokr
Jacksonville, NC
2005 XLT 4.6L 4X4

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What kind of sound is it? Does it sound like metal on metal... metal on plastic... random intervals?

Old 01-08-2008, 09:10 AM   #8
JoeMahma
Pa.
1997 Mercury Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

Mine was clunking over bumps and driving me nuts. I changed the sway bar end links even though they looked good. They were shot when I got em off but I just couldn't see it while they were on the truck. Clunk is all gone. How's you universal joints on the rear drive shaft? Oh, rear drive shaft slip yoke might need to be lubricated as well.

Old 01-08-2008, 11:23 AM   #9
Vinniety
Westchester county, NY
2000 sport

Vehicle Specs

What kind of noise are you talking about? Is it a rubbing sound, a clunk, a whinning sound what does it sound like? Did you ever think maybe the tires can be causing it. Rotate them. Just an idea. It seems you changed more things then probably needed to.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:08 PM   #10
Turdle
Moderator Masterbaker
Humboldt, Kansas

2000 Mounty

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
have you checked the transmission mount?
Turdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 01:47 PM   #11
jad2411
I'm a jackass!
El Paso, TX

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Provokr What kind of sound is it? Does it sound like metal on metal... metal on plastic... random intervals?
Sounds to me like metal on metal and it's almost as if someone was knocking at the door

Vinniety What kind of noise are you talking about? Is it a rubbing sound, a clunk, a whinning sound what does it sound like? Did you ever think maybe the tires can be causing it. Rotate them. Just an idea. It seems you changed more things then probably needed to.
I got new AT tires after the noise started(not because of the noise, I needed new tires), didn't do anything

jtsmith have you checked the transmission mount?
Transmission died at ~200K (yeah I know it's been on the road a lot) had a reman one installed in a pro shop so I would think that it was checked, don't know, just hoping

Joe & Brian don't know how to check those, I'll search here to see what I find about it

Thanks all of you for your replies, I'll keep you posted
Old 01-08-2008, 09:52 PM   #12
jad2411
I'm a jackass!
El Paso, TX

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Little update

So most of the time nobody rides in the back seat, today a fried of mine told me that she felt the knocking thru the floorpan but she felt it harder when I turned left, she was seating in the left side, so she switched to the right side and didn't feel it, so based on this new info, any ideas?
Old 01-08-2008, 09:56 PM   #13
Turdle
Moderator Masterbaker
Humboldt, Kansas

2000 Mounty

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
transfer case banging on truck because of the transmission mount being broke or loose
Don't assume they replaced it. Even if it was replaced it could be broken again, Stuff happens
Turdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:39 PM   #14
jad2411
I'm a jackass!
El Paso, TX

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
update

Ok so I had an appointment cancelled today so I had nothing to do for a while and decided to check on the truck, took my haynes manual and went outside to check on the sway bar end links, the one on the drivers side was soo loose! I could have unscrewed it with my hand so I tightened it but the bushing is al torn up, I'll be heading to autozone tomorrow and buying a new set, I'll pick up the bushings for the sway bar as well, hopefully this will solve the problem, I'll let you know, as always thanks so much for your help
Old 01-14-2008, 10:09 PM   #15
Sams01XplrSprt
Southern Cali Explorer
Newport Beach California & Bay Area California

2001 Sport (sold)

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My 01 sport has been rattling for some quite sometime when i am always on idle or at a red light it rattles my explorer I dunno if I got loose ball joints or my flowmasters loose or what.

It sounds annoying after awhile cause when i am with my gf she keeps on telling me it sounds bad.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:12 PM   #16
jad2411
I'm a jackass!
El Paso, TX

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Haha tune to a radio station she likes and crank the volume
Old 01-15-2008, 01:59 PM   #17
winsorcoke
Cottage Grove, MN
'97 Sport

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sams01XplrSprt View Post
My 01 sport has been rattling for some quite sometime when i am always on idle or at a red light it rattles my explorer I dunno if I got loose ball joints or my flowmasters loose or what.
Follow your exhaust pipe all the way back. Make sure it's not touching anything. When you take the muffler (I see you have a new one) off, the rear pipe will spin because of the bend on the end. If you don't twist it back up before you clamp the new muffler on, it will rest against the shock! I left while my neighbor welded mine up and he didn't twist it! Wasn't fun grinding a full weld off, but it rattled just you say yours does. Also check all the heat shields along the pipe. They like to rust and rattle.
winsorcoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 06:22 PM   #18
jad2411
I'm a jackass!
El Paso, TX

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Update

Today I took off the front sway bar, noise is still there, I'll get new bushings as I already have it removed I might as well do it now along with the end links, so now we know this isn't the source, next thing to check will be the transmission mount, I have no idea how to check it as I went under the truck and didn't know what to look for, so I'll have it checked by a shop

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page