• Register Today It's free!

Axle nut socket

jutgin

Reaction score
City, State
Chattanooga, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ST
Well I'm back with another stupid question!! Ha ha like to keep you guys busy. Anyone know what size socket for the axle nut? I was thinking 1 1/4 but I've had a few tell me 36 mm.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

34mm front axle 36mm rear axle

Thank you so much, I'm going to get it tomorrow. One more question, I know the bearing has to be pressed onto the hub but does it then have to be pressed onto the knuckle aslo?

Thanks for the info - I was wondering that myself, as I have to replace a snapped wheelstud on the front of mine.

the fronts are a bolt in affair. the rears are a pain. after you get the knuckle off the center hub must b pressed out. then remove the snap ring flip it over and press the bearing out. clean it out, lube it up and press the new bearing in. now the fun part. pressing in the hub. you need 2 put something under the bearing flat when you press the hub back in, this must be done carefully cause if not you can press the hub in and blow apart your brand new bearing. don't forget the snapring and use plenty of penetrating oil to ease installation of the bearing and hub.

Question

I have an XLT explorer 2002. I am replacing the front hub and was wondering what the nut size was that held the front hub assembly on. 34mm is way to big. I was told 28mm but I don't know if it is actually metric.

Axel nut socket

I am in the process of replacing my right front hub assembly. Several threads indicate a 32 mm socket is needed to take the axel nut off. Unless my 2002 XLS explorer is one of a kind, 32 mm is way to big! I tried 31 and 30 mm last night and those too are to big. Guess I am going to have to try smaller today. Also, make sure your sockets are deep! Regular ones will bottom out on the axel bolt.

Back to sears for the fourth time!

I just did mine on a 02 Explorer XLS and it is a 29mm.

Rear axle nut is a 35mm not 36mm. 36 will work, but it is a 35. I take these nuts off at least twice a week.

Back