Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

1996 lower ball joint must replace control arm?

Old 01-28-2008, 10:52 AM   #1
bgingras
1996 ford explorer sport

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
1996 lower ball joint must replace control arm?

I'm being told that I must replace the entire lower control arm and not just the ball joints on a 1996 explorer sport? is this right? Seems a bit extreme. quoted $1100 for 4 ball joints replaced becuase it was for all 4 control arms?
bgingras is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:57 AM   #2
carlover
Fontana,CA
'96 XL

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
You can replace the lower ball joint without replacing the while arm. the upper control arm must be replaced as it is one sealed unit. You can do this while job in your driveway uf you want to save on the labor. Parts shouldnt be more that 350$ for the Moog balljoints and tie rods and such.

BTF-FABRICATION.COM
carlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 11:00 AM   #3
bgingras
1996 ford explorer sport

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
thanks,

even the online "repair guides" on autozone say replace the entire arm...go figure.
bgingras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 11:11 AM   #4
carlover
Fontana,CA
'96 XL

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Ive done this job quite a few times on my explorer. You do need a ball joint press to remove and re-install the lower ball joints. There are a few very good writeups on this board about how to do this job.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=165352

or

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=188225

BTF-FABRICATION.COM
carlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:18 AM   #5
doctorkev
Williston, FL

Vehicle Specs

The Haynes repair guide says the same thing, but my local Ford dealer parts department carries the ball joints alone
doctorkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:32 PM   #6
markcoronado
Bracey Va.
95 Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

I have a 95 EB and replaced one of my lower ball joints a few years ago.
I bought the part at Auto Zone or Advance, can't remember which one but they will lend you the ball joint press.
markcoronado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:45 PM   #7
Turdle
Moderator Masterbaker
Humboldt, Kansas

2000 Mounty

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Yeah this is an old thread but I am throwing this into the pot.

I found it easier to replace the whole ( lower) arm.

Look at it this way. New bushings and ball joint pressed in for twice the cost of the joint alone.

The tricky part is releasing the tension on the torsion bars, but believe me doing it this way will save labor hours and get the front end a lot tighter. Your control arm bushings are 16 years old.

Also, since the uppers are also removed, re install using camber adjuster shims. This will allow a better alignment,and, they should not charge any additional labor to install them over the upper ball joint(s) labor charge, as the adjuster kit is basically a different style of mounting bolt for the upper arms.
My .02
Turdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:28 PM   #8
idoticsoigpa
Springfield, MO
1998 Eddie Bauer V8 AWD

Vehicle Specs

I have repair manuals that say that the entire lower control arm has to be replaced, and just looking at the lower ball joints, one would say the same thing. Thing is, it's not true. I have not done it, but I have had the lower ball joints replaced on two different 1998 explorers at a Ford dealer, and they have a method to replace the lower ball joints without replacing the whole control arm. It looks to me like a hole is punched out in the lower control arm and a replacement ball joint is put into the hole.
idoticsoigpa is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page