Spark plug access 2001 Sport

ontheocean

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport
Hi

I am new so go ahead and abuse me I deserve it!
I searched old forums first and found no real answer.
My problem is getting to the passenger side rear spark plugs on my 2001 Sport (please note that I have a Sport not a Sport Trak, am I on the right forum?) it has the 4.0 SOHC V6 engine (with 120k on original plugs). I need alittle more help than most people (I have some "challenges" to deal with) so just saying get to them from under the truck doesnt register well with my brain, I need more specific instruction if anybody can help I thank you!

I almost forgot, my thermostat housing (bottom part of it) is leaking and there suposidly is no replacement gasket for it, I have to replace the housing (including the harder to do bottom part) how hard is this to do?

I have a great set of tools and ability to improvise but little hands on auto repair, if I am being too greedy please let me know, I am new to this. I don't have alot of info for others but I will try when I can.

Thanks!

ontheocean

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The plugs are simple to access if you go through the opening in the wheel well.

I jack up the truck and put it on jack stands when swapping the plugs.

Good luck ...

Technically, your post belongs in this forum:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//forumdisplay.php?f=100

But, the engine and compartment is the same as the Sport Trac. I can move this thread to that forum if you want.
As for your dilemma. Are you trying to reach the spark plug from looking in through the hood opening?

I think its best for you to attack the spark plugs going through the wheel wells.

Remove the front tires and possibly the wheel wel plastic liner. Since I've been modified for extreme 4x4 operations for a long time, I discarded my wheel well liners a long time ago. I can't remember if it is beneficial to remove them to change the spark plugs or not.

2001 sport

Thanks to all of you and yes please move me to where I belong.

I went to Walmart and purchased a 2 ton trolley jack for $15 and two jackstands for $12. Will attempt plugs and wires!

Thanks!

Hello...Greetings to everyone! I own a 2001 Explorer Sport. I bought it in Washington State, drove all accross the US. I have driven it (yes, the same Sport) in Egypt, Swaziland, South Africa, Mozambique, Botswana, Namibia and now we are West Africa. In all the other countries there were Ford Dealers (although here in Africa we use parts for Mountaineers as mine is considered an "Export." So far we had great luck with it, but now I need to change the rear bearings and am in need of the "C-Clip" removal tool as our mechanics in Liberia don't have specialized tools. I know that soon more mechanical issues might appear, but so far our Sport has performed beyond our expectations. Need help finding this rear shaft removal tool ASAP. All information is welcome. Thanks.

this is someones thread about Spark Plugs. you are asking about rear bearings... you need to start your own thread to get answers to your question(s) or put the Search tool to use.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/search.php <<< link to search tool.

edit..... i see this thread is 2yrs old. so i guess you did use the search feature (maybe) to pull this thread up. you just need to start your own thread if you did not find what you needed through the search cause this thread is far from what your question pertains to.

Apologies...Thanks..will move the posting.

Back