Changing door ajar tone | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Changing door ajar tone

Joe Dirt

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Camry
Is it possible to swap the door ajar tone relay thing from a late model Ford into my Ex? I'd like to have the one that will play the long warning tone once, then shut off so I can listen to my radio when cleaning it. I know if the key is in the "on" position, it would do it in my newer Ford's. On te new trucks, when on "Accessory" it bongs constantly, but when in the "on" position, it bongs once with a long tone, and then shuts off. The constant "bong bong bong" keeps me from being able to enjoy tunes! :D

Anyone done it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i dont like the noise either it just goes ding ding ding i wish it was a different tune. On my uncle's volkswagon it has a different noise when the door is open it sounds like the jeopardy theme on his.

If I could get that, I could turn the radio off and listen to the theme song! :D

I pulled the ignition switch off, so it doesn't ding when the key is in it and off, but it still does it with the door ajar if the key is on...

its on my uncle's old vw vanagon

If you just have the door open, look in the latch and close the top claw of the latch. The door ajar will go off, just make sure to "open" the door before trying to shut it. They are really easy to move with a screw driver.

I'll have to check that out... Thanks for the tip! If that doesn't work, or I break something when (I said when) I forget to open it, I'll look at a new hardwire solution...

*cough* pull the little white box out *cough* No more dinging here :D Not sure if its as easy to in a 2nd gen as it is in a 1st gen.. Mine was a little white box under the ashtray just above the tcase and tranny shifters.. Unplugged it. Done and done. lol

Ash tray?? 3rd gens don't even have that... trip. Those door chimes are horrendous... I've about had it with mine. When I find it (I'll search), I'll post it.

ah, I thought he was talkin about his 95 lol. Either way, unplug it! They're annoying and useless imo.. Trust me, I know when my door is ajar!

you're right... i was talking about mine. no ash trays... you know, i've never heard anyone say their door chime failed. hmm... i have to search that one too. :)

True story, mine was on the verge of failure. Thats why I removed it.. I would be driving and it would chime, not nearly as loud as when the doors were open, but it did so even when the vehicle was off and what not. That was shortly after I sunk my truck in a lake and what not... So Sure, it wasnt failure failure, it was water damage failure, but none the less! It was about to die (or it sounded like it lol, made some weird sounds) so I found the culprit and unplugged it and threw it out

lucky! :) i'm going to go look for mine...

I'll have to look now- there are Gen 2's with ashtrays on the dash- the short console units have one... I'll give it a look behind my console.

It would be nice to get one with the voice of the robot in Lost in Space. "Warning, warning, warning..."

Oh well.

JP

The chime and tone generator is located inside the GEM. You would have to figure out a way to get in there and wire in one you wanted. Sounds like a great mod to attempt.

Hmmm... Maybe I'll take one apart at the junkyard and check that out... Thanks CG

Back