Twin I-beam infos needed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Twin I-beam infos needed

X-North

Reaction score
City, State
Montreal
I am about to check the alignment on my 1992 X because the front wheels have WAYYYYYY too much negative camber. I wont adjust it myself but i wanted to check suspension component to know if its the adjuster sleeve or bushings. In Haynes book they are telling that on 4X4 model like mine with Twin I-beam if the bushing from i-beam to crossmember is worn then it will give too much negative camber. But haynes is haynes and they dont even show pics of this bushing. Can anyone post a picture here of this bushing and where its located on the truck please. You could also send it to my email X_1980_X@hotmail.com
Thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They are referring to Axle pivot bushings. They are located at the very end of each Beam. The Left beam's axle pivot bushing is shown below.

TTB_and_components_ready_for_install_WEB.jpg

Do you mean the small round red bushing in the left middle or the crossmember? Also why theycall it Twin i-beam?? i mean theres always 2 i-beam even on the 2X4 model...

The Axle pivot bolt and bushing location are marked in RED. Its called a TTB (Twin Traction Beam) Because there are 2 beams instead of a (solid axle).

Axle_pivot_2.jpg

Really thank you ....So if theres slack in this pivot the two pivot will make more angle and then make too much negative camber if i understand well ??? They are talking that this bushing must be installed with a press...do you think that i can only drill or burn it out and reinstall the new one with a C-thing....i tell c-thing because i dont know the real name of the tool heheh but its normally red ..in C and you use it to manualle press buchings

Really thank you ....So if theres slack in this pivot the two pivot will make more angle and then make too much negative camber if i understand well ??? They are talking that this bushing must be installed with a press...do you think that i can only drill or burn it out and reinstall the new one with a C-thing....i tell c-thing because i dont know the real name of the tool heheh but its normally red ..in C and you use it to manualle press buchings

Correct.. if the axle pivot bushing has alot of wear it will make it difficult to keep the front end aligned correctly. The Ball joint "C" press can be used to press out/in Axle pivot bushings. See similar threads such as Axle Pivot Help for additional information.

Back