Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1991 - 1994 Explorer Ranger Navajo 1st Generation > Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers For questions related to the base Ford Explorer. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications. No modification questions.

Symptoms of a Clogged Catalytic Converter?

Old 03-26-2008, 11:19 PM   #1
ParkerRocker
Hayden, ID
92 Explorer Sport

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Symptoms of a Clogged Catalytic Converter?

My truck is running quite well, but has a problem, whenever I accelerate too hard (usually on even a slight incline) my engine misfires a little. I only really notice this in third gear. But it has happened in fourth as well.
After getting the RPMs up over 3000 i usually smell a sort of sulfur smell. This leads me to suspect my catalytic converter. However would that cause my car to jerk like it does? it feels like a misfire but i could be wrong. I'm going to replace the fuel filter soon enough, but how much HP would a clogged cat rob? and do i need to get a new one or can i just bore it out and slap it back on? I live in ID so im not particularly worried about emissions testing...

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:45 PM   #2
Kyle0614
Greenville, NC
'95 XLT

Vehicle Specs

yes my old jeep cherokee did that but it was cause my muffler was f'd up and causing all the exhaust to have back pressure...so i suppose a cat will do the same

Old 03-26-2008, 11:58 PM   #3
boggs1227
Flowery Branch , Georgia, 1994 sport 2wd auto
2005 colorado 2wd 5spd

Vehicle Specs

the miss fire could be something wrong with the engine it's self ,have you pulled any codes or has the cel light came on ?? you may want to look at that prospect before cutting off your cat ...could be something easlilly fixed or adjusted etc....

or...

i also live in a area thats non emission regulated...personally i cut it off if it were clogged but ..... i am sure many will tell you that may affect engine performance to some degree.like cutting it off may take away from the bottom end or something to that effect ,you could cut it off then weld a proper length straight piece of exhaust pipe in it's place ...may cure the affects of engine performance.i dont wont to get into a discussion about muffler performance here but some may say "yeah cut it off " some may say "yeah just weld on a new muffler after you do with out replaceing it with a replacement pipe" etc ...... you know

i'm looking at my LMC catalog right now and they want $289.95 for a new one .....so if you dont want to fork out that type of money then cutting it off and putting in a replacement pipe may be a option for you .

Old 03-27-2008, 10:04 AM   #4
MrShorty
Spanish Fork, UT
92 XLT and '87 Bronco II

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Sulfur smell is usually related to the cat. Before just replacing the cat, I'd check to see if the engine is running rich. A rich condition contributes to clogging the cat and the sulfur smell and such.

'98 Chev K1500 Suburban SLT 4x4
MrShorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 05:43 PM   #5
ParkerRocker
Hayden, ID
92 Explorer Sport

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrShorty View Post
Sulfur smell is usually related to the cat. Before just replacing the cat, I'd check to see if the engine is running rich. A rich condition contributes to clogging the cat and the sulfur smell and such.
I'm sorry i don't understand what you mean by rich, could you please elaborate?

Old 03-27-2008, 05:46 PM   #6
Willard
Elite tree-smasher
Bloomington, Indiana

04 Ranger Edge

Vehicle Specs

Rich = too much fuel, not enough spark

Lean = not enough fuel

'04 Ranger Edge DD "Black Knight"

You want to see my face?

Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 11:34 PM   #7
ParkerRocker
Hayden, ID
92 Explorer Sport

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
what would cause it to run rich or lean? and how do i test for this?

Old 03-28-2008, 12:50 PM   #8
boggs1227
Flowery Branch , Georgia, 1994 sport 2wd auto
2005 colorado 2wd 5spd

Vehicle Specs

if i were to take a stab at that question most likelly be from bad o/2 sensor....dirty maf / throttle body ...worn or clogged pcv vavle.on my x when i bought it the whole upper intake had a layer of sludge little more than 1/8 thick all on both the inside and throttle body themselves.after soaking the upper intake in gas i managed to get every bit of crap out of it ..looked like new .no wonder it suffered a aneurysm (lol) but it ran rich and i to smelled sulfur smells ...so maybe the reason why yours is running rich is that the engine air management systems need a good cleaning .

my 2005 colorado requires the upper intake system cleaned every 30k and now i'm about 20k over due but when it acts up the truck will idle fine when cold but move a little down the road and put the clutch in to stop and the rpm's die down almost killing the motor (rough low idle condition) .

Old 10-22-2013, 06:13 PM   #9
ambrosiaB
fort worth, tx
2000 Ford Explorer

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Mine is doing similar. Would a bad o2 sensor throw a code? Need to replace pcv and fuel filter first thanks
ambrosiaB is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page