Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1991 - 1994 Explorer Ranger Navajo 1st Generation > Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers For questions related to the base Ford Explorer. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications. No modification questions.

94 steering knuckle removal problem

Old 03-27-2008, 06:28 PM   #1
kgihemp
Bitburg
94 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
94 steering knuckle removal problem

I am in the process of changing out my ball joints on my 94 xlt 4x4. i have read the forums, i have a haynes, but with all of the advice and direction i cannot get the steering knuckle off. I have all the snap rings removed, cotter pins out, the pinch bolt out, the nut completely off the lower ball joint, and obviousley the abs sensor removed, axel shaft out, and spindle off. I have hit the inside of the steering knuckle with a hammer, i have hit the outside, i have hit the top of both the upper and lower ball joint trying to force the spindle down and nothing happens. Am i missing something. I am in the USAF in Germany, i can fix a plane with no problem, but the ol ford is giving me a run for the $$$$$$. Any help, tips, point in a direction will be greatly appreciated.
kgihemp is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:37 PM   #2
410Fortune
ELITE BRONCO2ERER
Crawlorado

B2 Mod

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
10# sledge right on top of the knuckle, hit straight down

Trick for stubborn ones is to also support the bottom of the torsion beam just inside the lower ball joint (block of wood, jack stand, etc)

I have also used a pickle fork to destroy and separate the lower ball joint, but basically what you need is a bigger hammer. I have not met one yet that didnt come loose if you hit it hard enough with a big enough sledge

It also really helps to wedge a large tip flat head screwdriver into the upper pinch bolt on the beam so you can easily rotate and remove the upper camber shim before attempting to drop the knuckle

Wifes 07 FJ build - 2007 FJ cruiser locked and lifted
410Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 06:51 PM   #3
kgihemp
Bitburg
94 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
The big hammer trick sounds good. Fogot to metion i have not removed the shim yet. the upper ball joint rotates when i turn the knuckle, but the lower one does not. What i mean by that is the shaft where the snap ring goes turns. The shaft where the nut goes on the lower ball joint does not rotate. is that normal? Thanks for the advice.
kgihemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 08:22 AM   #4
ricco750
Springfield, MO USA
'93XLT4X2 (3:27 LimSlip)

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgihemp View Post
The big hammer trick sounds good. Fogot to metion i have not removed the shim yet. the upper ball joint rotates when i turn the knuckle, but the lower one does not. What i mean by that is the shaft where the snap ring goes turns. The shaft where the nut goes on the lower ball joint does not rotate. is that normal? Thanks for the advice.
Yes, this is normal...for your present situation. You have removed the pinch bolt on the upper BJ, so the shaft is no longer restricted, which is what the pinch bolt does when tightened. The lower BJ is tightly wedged into a machined conical opening, so removing that nut nut does not loosen the shaft. That's the one that's holding the knuckle on now, and providing you with your problem.

My advice...put the lower BJ nut back on just a few turns to secure the knuckle so it won't fall when you separate the joint. Then, take a pickle fork, place it between the lower edge of the knuckle and the BJ rubber seal, and bang hell out of it with good hammer. You will win! And thanks for your service.

Last edited by ricco750; 03-28-2008 at 08:59 AM. Reason: more info
ricco750 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page