How to: - How to change Transfer Case rear output seal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: How to change Transfer Case rear output seal

Prefix for threads which are instructional.

metalmechanic

Reaction score
City, State
Mission, B.C.
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
I searched for a thread on this and didn't find one. It's a fairly simple job, but it's nice to have some idea what you're doing. This job is made easier with air tools, but can be done with hand tools. Also, it was way to dirty to take pics, so I'll try to be as descriptive as possible. This was done on a 1995 XLT.

Step 1:

Block the wheels, start the truck, put the tranny in neutral, set the parking brake, and shut it off. You'll see why later.

Step 2:

If required, put the front and rear of the vehicle on jackstands so you can crawl underneath. You WILL need a jack later, even if you can fit under the truck while it's on the ground. Try and keep the truck as level as possible for the next step.

Step 3:

Drain the transfer case fluid. You don't have to drain all the fluid to change the seal, but you may as well change the fluid anyway, since you're there. I am going to borrow a pic from ExplorerDMB's thread here.

000_0706.jpg

Step 4:

Remove the driveshaft from the transfer case output flange. The bolts on mine needed a 12 point 12 mm socket.
Before removing anything, make a mark ,with a paint pen or something similar, at one bolt on the driveshaft and tranfer case flanges. When reinstalling, use this mark to put the flanges together in the same position they came apart.
In the above pic, 2 of the 4 bolts are showing. Remove 2, then jack up the rear end and spin the driveshaft to get at the other 2. If you are using hand tools, you will need to lower the rear end back down to undo the bolts. If using air tools, you can remove all 4 with the rear end in the air.

Step 5:

Once the driveshaft is out of the way, you will see a nut that holds the output flange onto the transfer case output shaft. I didn't have the Metric socket for this nut, but a 1 1/4" socket worked fine. I had air tools for this job, and this nut will be a PITA with hand tools as the shaft will spin with the wrench, and this nut should be TIGHT.
Once the nut is removed, make a mark with your paint pen on the output shaft that matches the mark you made at the flange bolt hole.
Remove the washer behind the nut, and remove the flange from the output shaft. Note the plastic dust cover under the washer you removed. Unless you have a new one, save this to put back on later.

Step 6:

The output seal sits in the housing around the output shaft and will be in plain view with the flange removed. Use a small pry bar or seal puller to remove the seal. Be careful not to gouge the aluminum housing that the seal sits in. Note which way the seal was facing (oil side in), as the new one goes in the same way.

Step 7:

With the old seal out, make sure the seal bore is smooth all the way around. If not, lightly sand with fine emery paper, making sure to wipe out all the filings. To install the new seal, you need a piece of pipe or large socket that sits along the OUTSIDE of the seal. Do not drive on the inner part of the seal or it will leak. Lightly apply some of the old fluid to the outside of the seal, and place the seal over the bore. Make sure it isn't ****ed, and drive it in.

Step 8:

Apply Never Seize to the splines inside the output flange, and slide the flange onto the output shaft. Make sure to line up the marks you made earlier.
Slide the plastic dust cover, and the washer, on to the shaft. If you are reusing the large nut for the flange, be sure to put Loctite on the threads.
Do the nut up tight. Be sure that you can't move the flange back and forth on the shaft. If you can, the nut isn't tight yet.

Step 9:

Bolt the driveshaft back onto the flange. Make sure to line up your marks, and use Loctite on all the bolts. The torque on the flange bolts is only 16 ft/lbs, so don't overtighten. However, you don't want your driveshft to fall off, so they do need to be tight. I used an air wrench to take the out, and tightened them by hand at installation.

Step 10:

Fill your transfer case using the fluid of your choice. This is also covered in ExplorerDMB's thread, found here

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152869

Step 11:

Clean all fluid of the outside of the transfer case and the surrounding area. After driving for a bit (but don't leave it to long) look underneath and check for any leaks from the seal area. Hopefully, you did good and no leaks are seen.

(Again, I apologize for no pics. If anyone needs clarification with anything, I will be happy to help)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

is this same procedure for a 2002 ford explorer or AWD mercury mountaineer?
haynes doesn't have details on removal/install of seal of transfer case output shaft seal.. not sure if the removal of the flange is the same as the differential where you use a puller to remove it.

will changing this seal get rid of any play at the tail shaft and drive shaft.. recently i noticed on my x i had vibration and couldnt figure it out so today while changin the oil i decided to mess with the two drive shafts.. the front one has no play its solid and tight but at the front of the back drive shaft where it connects to the trans case i can move it up and down left and right and it moves in the trans case not the drive shaft .. any ideas?

Transfer case seal

I am facing a similar job, but in my case is the front seal in the transfer case.
First of , I was not able to unbolt the front U Joint. Ford has that strap looking Clamp holding the U Joint, it makes impossible to fit a socket or a wrench on the bolts to unbolt the U joint.
I unbolted the yoke on the transfer case side, pushed the front drive shaft up, but the flange does not come off the transfer case.
My question to the experts.
( Ford Explorer 2004 V6 AWD )
Does the flange on the transfer case has lock snap rings on the inside ?
Does the transfer case have to be removed and opened to replace the front seal ?
)
Or, how does the flange come out of the transfer case ??
:rolleyes:

Well,
I tent to disagree with this advice , the picture you are showing it the back of the transfer case seal, going from the transfer case to the rear differential.
I am talking about the front one, goes from the trasnfer case to the front differential.
It has no nut , so there is no leverage for jaw pullers to push against...
The puzzle continues...
:rolleyes:

Oh, my bad. You were referring to the front output shaft. Unfortunately you have to take out the transfer case and open it. The flange has a bolt (or a shaft) that connects to one of the gears inside. I haven't tackled this yet but this is really one dumb design by Ford.

see the parts diagram here:

http://www.rsgear.com/technical/diagrams/ep-diagrams/borg-warner-4404-transfer-case.aspx

-----------------------------------------------------------
MY MOUNTY
http://www.facebook.com/diyfordexplorer

Changed T case rear seal

Great write up METALMECHANIC.:thumbsup: With your help I changed my rear output seal today. Took about an hour only because that flange bolt is a real B*%$! :hammer: to break loose. Then couldn't find :splat: one of the driveshaft bolts. Some how while scooting around while trying to break loose the flange nut it managed to find its way into my rear pocket by my wallet. Spent 15 min looking :eek: for it LOL.

Thanks again for the great write up

Photo of old leaky seal with flange removed, You can see where it was spraying fluid above.
The second with the flange cleaned up and ready for driveshaft.

Attachments

• seal1.jpg
    seal1.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 48,273
  • seal3.jpg
    seal3.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 40,019

Great write up. Mine is leaking from there as well, but I was looking at oreillys auto online for the seal and they have 2 of them. Booted and non booted. So which one will work for the BW4405-GA?

I used the Timkem 710403, which looked like the same as I pulled out. It is non booted. Not too sure about the booted ones, they look interesting maybe someone can explain why to or not to use them.

I used the Timkem 710403, which looked like the same as I pulled out. It is non booted. Not too sure about the booted ones, they look interesting maybe someone can explain why to or not to use them.

Good call, be nice to know before I have my spare one rebuilt and I'd like to put the right seal on it too ya know. Hope somebody chimes on on this one.

hey have a question i have a 99 explorer EB with a 4.0 SOHV and a 4405 TC, I replace my transfer case and everything went in good untill i put the flang on the back of the TC I tried to re-use the the rubber washer under the metal washer but my issue is that the flang goes all the way in and hits the TC casing what hold this out so it does not hit? i ordered a new flang and bolt and rubber washer but not sure what i am doing wrong.

Was hoping somebody with experience would chime in on this thread.

I'm thinking of doing this next weekend, but a question I have is that on the auto parts store for the output shaft seal it says it's a 4404 seal but my tcase is a 4405. Any ideas or input?

*UPDATE* - The seals that O'Reilly's had in stock were the wrong ones, so carquest had them and and they were abougt $24 and part number 710403

Thanks for the info.

I have a 2003 Ford Exp. sport xlt with a small amount of oil coming out not real bad and was wondering if this could be done. So that being said THANK YOU for the info:salute::salute:

I did this to my Explorer today and at the same time I lubed the slip yoke. I honestly think if the slip yoke is left to bind like that, it kills this seal and will eventually kill the output bearing in the transfer case.
My seal was rolled in one area. It wasn't leaking very much, just enough to make a mess on the transfer case.
That nut on mine is a 30mm. The sockets I used were a 12mm 12 point, a 30mm 6 point, and a 1 3/4 in 12 point. I actually broke it loose with a 32mm but got the 30 to tighten it. I also used a couple different ratchets and breaker bars, a seal puller, a hammer, and even my leatherman. To reach all the flange bolts I rolled the truck back and forth (be careful if you are lying underneath when you do this) and I only disconnected the front flange. To get the big nut loose I put the truck in Park and put the biggest breaker bar on it I had, then I crawled partly under the driver's side and kicked the bar until the nut broke loose. One thing that did happen is the flange stuck on the pinion just enough that I couldn't pull it off by hand. I used a three jaw puller and could turn the jam bolt on it by hand to free the flange. That part was easy but the puller isn't a cheap tool if you have to buy it.
Also at least check the TC fluid anytime you're under there with a 3/8 drive ratchet--replacing a transfer case isn't cheap. Mine was almost full (I'd filled it last Saturday) so I left it alone.
I didn't have to jack up the vehicle at all, and I'm a big guy. My belly is pretty mushy (from too much McDonald's) so I slid right under the truck. The repair is pretty straight forward with just a couple of bits that are physically difficult. With the rear driveshaft fixed, the truck rides like a dream.
Oh yeah, the vehicle is a 98 Explorer Sport with a Borg Warner 44-05. Someone told me the vehicle might be four wheel drive, so I'll check on that and get back to you. :)

Hi all,

Is the t-case nearly central to the car underneath?

If not when it the consonant that is pretty much central under the vehicle?

Thanks,

Jake

Back