Stuck/No Speedometer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stuck/No Speedometer

BrokeExplorer

Reaction score
We have recently acquired a 97 Explorer 4.0 OHV 2wd with an auto. Ive tried searching and have tried some stuff, but to no luck.

Before: As soon as I would start moving the speedometer would go up to 50mph and stay there. It wouldn't go up or down until the vehicle was shut off.

I replaced the speed sensor with no luck, then the abs sensor

Now, it will read speeds under 50 mph, but not accurately. and as soon as it goes past 50 mph it drops to 50 and stays there.

The code that autozone pulled is P0714 but the description on the scanner does not match the one online. The scanner said it was the turbine/input speed sensor (not sure what that is).

We were thinking of replacing the cluster but since it sort of started to work we think it might be some sensor/electrical problem.

Any ideas? Experience with this?

Sorry for being long wanted to share all info. Thanks guys

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! The TSS is an internal transmission sensor which is mounted on the center support. The problem you're describing sounds like a problem with the cluster. As far as the TSS, first check the external wiring harness to see if the connector is clean, and plugged in all of the way. Are you getting erratic shifts? You might want to check for pinched wires in the steering column near the area where the tilt part is.

i forgot to mention that it is shifting hard upon acceleration. We had the dash and cluster apart to clean and check the connections. We didn't see any loose or pinched wires.

Thanks for the suggestions I will look into those. I'd rather take the dash back apart than drop the tranny.

also the ABS light came back on today can that code be read with a scanner. Any other common problems that can cause it to come on?

Are you sure about that P0714? According to the service manual, P0714 doesn't exist in either the powertrain or the transmission section...

As mentioned, the ABS code can only be read with an NGS or WDS scanner. It's unlikely that the ABS problem has anything to do with the speedometer on a 97. The speedometer is powered directly from fuse #25 (7.5A) in the interior fuse panel. The VSS on the transmission provides a variable ground signal to the instrument cluster. The VSS also provides the speed signal to the cruise control.... If you set the cruise, will it hold the speed properly? If so, then we can eliminate the VSS as the problem... If that's the case, I'd be looking at the speedo itself...

it doesn't have cruise control. and the VSS is brand new also the previous owner tried a new VSS so thats not the problem I will try a cluster from a junkyard, I have a great all ford junkyard back home.

That is the code that autozone's scanner read. I saw it for my self. So I don't know what to do about that. I'm going to try this stuff out at some point. Thanks for your help.

Back