• Register Today It's free!

Can not fill the fuel tank

sakirfp

Reaction score
City, State
Forsyth GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 XLT 4.6
Let me tell you everything going on. A few weeks ago I had a gas problem code error. I replaced the cap..That went ok...Now I have a fuel filling issue and another code coming up. P1450 is the code.

When I attempt to put gas into the tank. The pump kicks off because the fuel is filling up to the point to shut off the pump. To get my tank filled I have to fill it slow till the pump kicks off wait a fwe seconds for the air and gas to transfer positions and the fuel goes down. I then keep doing this till the tank is full..It took 15 minutes to put 17 gallons into my tank of my XLT..Now the fact this is my wife's Exp. She is raising hell about it..

I think the problem is something is not allowing air to leave teh tank. What can I do to start to fix this problem..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you putting the gas pump in too far? Try pulling it out some.

check the vent on the tank if still under waranty that it to the dealer and have them repair it

sounds like someone put marbles in your gas tank

Or something crawled inside and couldn't back out... just wait for the smell.

I have been thinking about this for a while. Very interesting problem, and I've rarely heard of it.

First I think - do you live in one of those states with the rubber boot over the gas nozzle? If you have issues with emissions (like something plugged), the air pressure inside *might* be kicking the nozzle off.

Second - could someone have played a prank on you? I have seen people stuff plastic wrap and other stuff in there to plug the neck off, but that was also before that little hole and the flap came into being. I don't suggest looking down in there unless you understand the potential issues with looking into a hazardous environment with a non-intrinsically safe lighting tool might cause.

Other than those, or some kinda issue at your pump (maybe you always get gas at the same pump), that is all I can think of.

Be sure and let us know what it finally turns out to be!

-Shawn

Sometimes overfilling the tank will cause fuel to back up in the vent. We had a customer with a '02 Chrysler Concorde with the same problem. I'd never really heard of this happening before. After a quick web search of one of the Chrysler LH car forums, I found that it's a common problem, easily remedied by removing the vent hose from the filler neck and letting the liquid gasoline drain out. It worked, and she hasn't complained about it again.

The pumps do not have rubber stoppers at the top of the nossle.

No..Not over filling it..

Even if I use a gas can..It will not fill properly...I can only fill it a little bit at a time. Like probally a 1/4 gallon at time...when the neck fills up...Air and gas chnage places and then I can fill some more.

I really do not think any did anything to the EXP...It stays in the garage at home..and at work there my wife would know if someone messed with it.

I think I am going to try and look at the vent issue...The code that comes up on the scanner says it has somethign to do with it..

I
Other than those, or some kinda issue at your pump (maybe you always get gas at the same pump), that is all I can think of.

Tried to get gas in many different locations...I have pulled the pump nossle out to the point I can it is almost not even in the neck..

I think there is air getting trapped in the tank while pumping..

Where is the vent hose at...How can I get to it...

Look under the fender where the fuel ddor is and you will see 2 line (a big and a small) The small one is the vent line. There is a rubber hose connecting the filler neck to the tank. Make sure those are not pinched. You can pull the to see if they are clogged but it is not easy. I do not know at what gas level fluel will come out of them. I have seen people play a prank by putting a tampon in the filler and it will swell when it gets wet. Have you ticked anyone off lately?

Look under the fender where the fuel ddor is and you will see 2 line (a big and a small) The small one is the vent line. There is a rubber hose connecting the filler neck to the tank. Make sure those are not pinched. You can pull the to see if they are clogged but it is not easy. I do not know at what gas level fluel will come out of them. I have seen people play a prank by putting a tampon in the filler and it will swell when it gets wet. Have you ticked anyone off lately?

I will look at those hoses tommorow...No. I know nothing was done to it...

I think just do not know..I know that I had to replace the gas cap a few months ago....I then went about two weeks before I got the currect code
P1450 and problem

I got up under the Exp. I found the two vent hoses..One goes to the filler neck and the other goes to the side of the filler area. It is the bigger hose I have included pictures. There are some pictures. I think the reason I am getting this code and can not fill my tank up with fuel is because of the thing in the picture. If anyone knows what the heck that is. Let me know
I think this is the what is cause the code P1450. The code reader said "Manufacture control Auxillary emmison control.

venthose.gif

venthose1.gif

venthose2.gif

I found out that the thing in the first picture is a
Vent Canister Solenoid. Does anyone think this cause the code error and not allow air to come out of the tank while gas is going in.

Could the Charcoal filter that ins next to the VCS need replaced

Sorry I have been at work. I am looking in my OEM manual now..

You are correct on what that item isbut listen to this

The fuel vapors are routed from the fuel tank through the fill limit valve and fuel vapor vent valve. The fuel vapor vent valves are part of the fuel tank assembly and cannot be serviced separately.

If anything I would say thats your issue but there is no any real info we can do without special tooling. You could bypass and try to fill it but I would not just replace it. It coud be another sensor that controlls it or a wire issue.

This is just frustrating because I do not want to take it to the dealer or any other repair shop..I like to fix all my issues. Something is screwing up the vent system because air will not go out while I am pumping and the error code that I get...This is my wife's truck and you know whe does like to fill the tank half a gallon at a time and does not like to see the check engine light.

Any more help would be great...I think I found some suggestionshttp://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/411561-trouble-code-p1450.html

All it says is to follow the diagnosis in the PC/ED manual. Which I do not have sorry. Thats all I got.

I have given up trying to figure out why I can not get fuel into my tank, so I am taking it to a repair shop..It is just getting worst. I can not even stick the fuel nossel in the tank filler and get gas in the tank. The nossell has to be out side the tank filler to get gas in there and then only can I get a small amount of gas into the tank.

I hate doing that because I usually can fix anything but I do not have time to do this. I will put the solution in here when I get it fixed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just found out that the issue with my 05 Explorer and why it will not allow fuel to go into the tank. Is the purge valve is bad and needs replaced. I will update as I find out more..

Back