• Register Today It's free!

98 Speaker Size

Buffalosports

Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Sport - 4WD
I know this has been asked before but I guess I have my sizes mixed up. I thought the 98s had 5x7" all the way around but crutchfield shows a range from 5 1/4" (circle) through 6x8" speakers. What comes stock?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 96 had 5x7's all the way around, but since the sport doesn't have rear doors, I don't know. At least here's a bump for ya...

the size is either 5x7 or 6x8, both come with mounting tabs to fit in the same spot. as for the 5 1/2 or 6 1/2 speaker size, if you order from crutchfield they will send you a mounting bracket that adapts them to your current speaker opening.

I took the 6x8s from my 96 and put them in my 03. I don't know what stock looks like, I take them out and send them away to be recycled (jk)

I know this has been asked before but I guess I have my sizes mixed up. I thought the 98s had 5x7" all the way around but crutchfield shows a range from 5 1/4" (circle) through 6x8" speakers. What comes stock?

for the first and second generation explorers, as far as i know, they come stock with 6x8 speakers. when crutchfield says a 5 1/4" speaker will fit, it's because it's smaller, and will fit into the whole created by a 6inch tall by 8inch wide whole
picky
30bmrsx.jpg

make sense?

6 1/2"s will also fit front and rear in stock location in 2nd gens...just have to be careful with the mounting depth. Need to space it out accordingly.

My spacers/adapters needed to be 1 1/4" deep to clear my focal k2p's. Worked out nicely though :)

focal_mid2.jpg

focal_mid.jpg

Back