• Register Today It's free!

02 Explorer 4WD won't work

low66396

Reaction score
City, State
Everywhere Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT
My 02 Ford Explorer 4WD won't work. I have checked it over and found the motor bad on the transfer case so I replaced it and still doesn't work. I found the module, but not sure how to test it. I do know that I have a back feed to the switch in the dash. This switch has 4 auto, 4 high, and 4 low on the switch. I'm leaning toward the module being bad, but the back feed has me confused.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You did not mention it but I would start with the fuse. Something I learned in aviation start in the begining and follow the power.

I tested the fuses with a power probe and found no problems with the fuses. I will check out the other thread. Thanks.

That thread has everything mine is doing and it's all leading back to the module, so I will get it and if that isn't it then I will let my ford dealer know what I think.

Got my new module today and good thing I get parts at body shop price. I pulled the old one and plugged in the new one and I have four wheel drive. The parts guy seemed to think that it wouldn't fix it and I needed to get it in the shop. I started passing on the information you guys passed on and he wasn't happy to find out I knew more than he thought I would. Thanks for all the help I greatly appreciate it.

Great to hear its fixed. Thanks for updating.

4WD module

My '02 XLT had a failure of the module while under warranty, ~26,000 miles. The dealer tried to tell me the module failed because I did not rotate my tires enough, making the tires different circumferences. They told me they would not replace it until I put new tires on the vehicle. I asked them to measure each tire's circumference along with me so we could verify this. They declined and lost my business forever. Another dealer performed the work under warranty with no issues.

Back