Faulty replacement ECM?

mupmanyu

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Sport
Hi:

I have had a range of issues on my 95 XLT Explorer (manual, EEV-IV), so let me give a bit of history before I get to the question.

i) I have failed emissions twice, with HC and CO readings which are off the charts (HC 7 times overlimit, CO 3 times overlimit)

ii) I could not access scan codes for the check engine light for a long time, as my ECM was fried. This is based on the fact that I recently got a new ECM over craigslist from someone who claimed that it was from the same explorer, and am able to communicate with the ECM now.

iii) Obviously, I am running rich, even with the new ECM, but scanning the ECM gives me weird codes.

First off, the options it gives me for the engine are 4.9L, 7.3L diesel, and someone else, but nothing for 4.0L V6. Secondly, the codes correspond to transmission oil sensors, torque converters, and what have you. I also get some (cars only) codes! So, its obvious not that my ECM is not for the truck, rather some car with a different engine.

iv) The way the car is running seems to fit the diagnosis - when I run it cold, initially, it runs okay, but after a while (after warming up, or open loop), it loses power, idles rough, etc.

Finally, questions:

i) Should I reflash this ECM, or should I try shopping for a new ECM from junkyards. The 1995 ECMs are tough to get, so I am exploring the reflashing option.

ii) Is there someone on this forum who can take my ECM via mail order and reflash it for me?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i would suggest finding the code off your ecm and trying to find a computer on ebay. I've seen a few for sale lately and if its federal you've got even more interchangeability.

thanks.

Thanks for the reply.

I cannot locate the ECM that would fit this car. I called a dealer, and he said that 1995 is too old to look up based on the VIN number.

Is it possible for anyone here to look up the correct ECM that would fit my car, or is there any resource that allows me to look up based on my VIN number?

Why do you think your original 95 PCM is bad?
95 is an odd year because it has an OBD-2 diagnostics port but the computer itself is still OBD-I

I have not seen a reason why you think your original 95 PCM is fried, just because your scanner couldnt talk to it, I suspect you are using the wrong scanner for a 95 and in 95 you can do a self diagnosis with a paper clip (like the 91-94 trucks) to pull codes.

Used PCM's at the junk yard are $35, Advance Auto keeps their inventory in the computer based on the PCM code

YOU MUST USE A 95 EXPLORER PCM for your transmission, 94 may or may not work IMO, 96 definatley not

Re:

The PCM was diagnosed to be fried by the ford dealership. I decided to take it to one after going through around 10 shops in a year, trying to read off the codes. Each and every shop gave up, but there are so much confusion.

You are right about the OBD-II issue, as most of the shops assume it is OBD-II after they see the port under the dash. So, the codes were not read even after we put in a OBD-I scanner to the connectors under the hood.

Anyway, I sent some SOS emails to folks on ebay selling ECMs, and finally found one kind soul who was able to look it up based on my VIN number. Again, you are right, it has to be a 1995 computer. I got hold of one shop around 200 miles away that carries that computer, and I get it in on thursday. Will post on how that computer holds, and takes care of all these weird codes I have been reading off the scanner..

Back