Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Ford Explorer Sport Trac Forums > 2001-2005 Explorer Sport Trac

Notices

2001-2005 Explorer Sport Trac All questions related to the 2001-2005 Explorer Sport Trac model.

a/c relay????

Old 05-28-2008, 08:42 PM   #1
mike_013106

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
a/c relay????

anyone know which is the relay for the a/c fan for a 2001 sport trac? I cant figure out which one it is. the relay box doesn't say. please help
mike_013106 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:47 PM   #2
mike_013106

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
?????????????
Old 05-29-2008, 09:35 AM   #3
John_Rock
Elite In Memoriam
Houston, TX

2001 Sexy Sport Trac 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Here are scans from my 2001 Job1 Explorer Sport Trac Owner's Guide...

John_Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 10:00 AM   #4
rwenzing
Michigan
03 Ranger FX4 LII 5.0 S/C

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The blower relay is #55 in the distribution box. The high speed bypass relay for the blower control is in Aux Relay Box #1 under the MAFS on the air filter box.

Bilstein 7100 reservoir shocks, Cadillac/Mustang SVO rear discs, Duff traction bars

Ford owners' manuals ONLINE, then click on "Glovebox"
rwenzing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 06:12 PM   #5
mike_013106

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
what do you mean high speed? my a/c fan ony works when it wants too......which relay do i need to change?
Old 05-30-2008, 06:33 PM   #6
bdmaash
YYC
'01 sport trac

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Holly Fukk, ok if you need someone to read and translate Johnstone's post for you, try relay 56A

Yay another post, I'm well on my way to being a post whore!
bdmaash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 03:13 AM   #7
John_Rock
Elite In Memoriam
Houston, TX

2001 Sexy Sport Trac 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdmaash View Post
Holly Fukk, ok if you need someone to read and translate Johnstone's post for you, try relay 56A
Since he obviously doesn't have the Owner's Manual and I am not exactly sure what exact information that he needed, I gave him the whole thing. So now if the 56A relay doesn't fix his problem he has more information to look at and try.

John_Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:43 PM   #8
mike_013106

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
I just chand 56a relay and its still not working?...which should I change next?
Old 06-03-2008, 09:30 PM   #9
mike_013106

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
I just 55 and it still not working.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:34 PM   #10
mike_013106

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
the rear a/c blower works just the front doesn't.....what should I do?
Old 06-04-2008, 01:15 AM   #11
bdmaash
YYC
'01 sport trac

Vehicle Specs

WTF is wrong????

first post:anyone know which is the relay for the a/c fan for a 2001 sport trac? I cant figure out which one it is. the relay box doesn't say. please help
this post indicates everything is working, but A/C isn't cooling the air that's blowing in the truck.

second post:?????????????
this post justs shows, you're impatient, when your'e not getting free advice fast.

third post:what do you mean high speed? my a/c fan ony works when it wants too......which relay do i need to change?
Do you even understand what you just said?

fourth post:I just chand 56a relay and its still not working?...which should I change next?
Randomly changing parts when you don't know what the problem is just stupid.

fifth post:I just 55 and it still not working.
This problem has made you crazy, your english language skills have gone to shi t.

sixth post:the rear a/c blower works just the front doesn't.....what should I do?
Oh, now you're talking about blower motors???????

rear air conditioning blower works, front doesn't??????

So you are trying to say your blower motor doesn't work when it is set to air conditioning?

Does the fan (blower motor) work on other setting than air conditioning?

if the fan works only at high speed - it's the blower motor resistor
if the fan doesn't work at any speeds, it may be the blower motor.

Right now from your random questions, it's possible you blower motor might not be working.

Try and explain your problem first then ask for solutions, instead asking for solutions for what might be your problem.

Old 06-04-2008, 03:02 PM   #12
mike_013106

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
first post:anyone know which is the relay for the a/c fan for a 2001 sport trac? I cant figure out which one it is. the relay box doesn't say. please help
this post indicates everything is working, but A/C isn't cooling the air that's blowing in the truck. there is no air blowing from front just the back is working

second post:?????????????
this post justs shows, you're impatient, when your'e not getting free advice fast.

third post:what do you mean high speed? my a/c fan ony works when it wants too......which relay do i need to change?
Do you even understand what you just said? yes(it works sometimes)

fourth post:I just chand 56a relay and its still not working?...which should I change next?
Randomly changing parts when you don't know what the problem is just stupid. if ur not gonna help why post

fifth post:I just 55 and it still not working.
This problem has made you crazy, your english language skills have gone to shi t. u serious?

sixth post:the rear a/c blower works just the front doesn't.....what should I do?
Oh, now you're talking about blower motors???????

rear air conditioning blower works, front doesn't??????

So you are trying to say your blower motor doesn't work when it is set to air conditioning? no air comes out when its set on anything...just the back works

Does the fan (blower motor) work on other setting than air conditioning? no

if the fan works only at high speed - it's the blower motor resistor
if the fan doesn't work at any speeds, it may be the blower motor. maybe its the motor

Right now from your random questions, it's possible you blower motor might not be working.

Try and explain your problem first then ask for solutions, instead asking for solutions for what might be your problem. man I just wanna fix my air....how can I find out if its the blower motor? and is there 2 blower motors?(one for the front and one for the back?)
Old 06-04-2008, 04:07 PM   #13
bdmaash
YYC
'01 sport trac

Vehicle Specs

man I just wanna fix my air....how can I find out if its the blower motor? and is there 2 blower motors?(one for the front and one for the back?)

I still don't know what the problem is, other than something may not be working with the HVAC system, it's never been explained yet.

anyways to answer the latest random(?) question:

yes, there are 2 seperate blower motors.

If there is no air (not sure what "air" is - air circulation/air conditioning) from the vents.

I'll assume air circulation for now.

Set front fan to middle speed, set heat/cold switch to middle, set vent switch to defrost (windshield), there should be air blowing on the windsheild through the vents.
If no air is blowing, it's you blower motor, or blower resistor, or maybe a fuse.
If the air only blows at high speed (4), then it's the blower resistor.

Edit:I just looked over Johnstone's post above, and it can't be the fuse since fuse 6 (driver's side compartment) gives power to both front and rear blower motors.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:13 PM   #14
rwenzing
Michigan
03 Ranger FX4 LII 5.0 S/C

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_013106 View Post
the rear a/c blower works just the front doesn't.....what should I do?
OK, so the rear blower works but the front doesn't.

Front HVAC Blower:

The circuitry for the three lower blower speed positions goes through the resistor block.

The highest speed switch position bypasses the resistor block using the High Speed Fan Control Relay in Aux Relay Box #1 near the air filter box.

If NONE of the front blower speeds work, it is probably caused by one of these two: Blower Relay #55 (apparently already replaced) or fuse #16 (40amp) in the underhood electrical distribution box. All that's left after that is the wiring, grounds and the blower motor itself.

[Forget about 56A - it is for the A/C compressor clutch, not the blower.]

Bilstein 7100 reservoir shocks, Cadillac/Mustang SVO rear discs, Duff traction bars

Ford owners' manuals ONLINE, then click on "Glovebox"
rwenzing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 05:39 PM   #15
mike_013106

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
"All that's left after that is the wiring, grounds and the blower motor itself"

should I just take it to a electrical shop? caused I changed all the relays already. (it didnt just stop working.....it would work sometimes and sometimes not....now it dont work at all.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:06 PM   #16
bdmaash
YYC
'01 sport trac

Vehicle Specs

from your last post title: "All that's left after that is the wiring, grounds and the blower motor itself" this is the assumption made:
- you tested the fan on all speeds an it didn't work

so

the blower motor bearing is probably gone(it's a bushing not really a bearing). The fix is to replace the blower motor, the intermittent operation was probably the armature of the motor being properly aligned sometimes or not.
Any competetant mechanic should be able to remove the 3 or 4 screws and electrical connection to replace the motor.

Replacement of the motor is all based on assumptions, since no questions were answered, unless you're posting to multiple threads/forums and assuming we read/subscribe to them all.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:43 PM   #17
mike_013106

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdmaash View Post
from your last post title: "All that's left after that is the wiring, grounds and the blower motor itself" this is the assumption made:
- you tested the fan on all speeds an it didn't work

so

the blower motor bearing is probably gone(it's a bushing not really a bearing). The fix is to replace the blower motor, the intermittent operation was probably the armature of the motor being properly aligned sometimes or not.
Any competetant mechanic should be able to remove the 3 or 4 screws and electrical connection to replace the motor.

Replacement of the motor is all based on assumptions, since no questions were answered, unless you're posting to multiple threads/forums and assuming we read/subscribe to them all.

does it have 2 blower motors? cause the rear a/c works fine...
Old 06-17-2008, 07:43 PM   #18
bdmaash
YYC
'01 sport trac

Vehicle Specs

yes 2 independent motors.
it's sort of funny how you say the rear a/c works.
- so does the front heat work, and only the front a/c doesn't work?

You should try and find a haynes or chiltons or whatever service manual. A lot of these types of repairs are covered in them.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:42 PM   #19
JonAlthoff
Canal Winchester, OH
2000 Sport

Vehicle Specs

blower motor

Mine is doing the same thing. Last Friday I went to leave and the blower motor would not turn on. After driving home and letting the truck sit for a bit I tried again and the blower motor started up. It worked fine for several days and stopped and started here and there. Today regrettably it has stopped working all together. I have found replacement blower motors at Advance Auto Parts and Autozone. Neither have the squirrel cage, retaining clip or the gasket. They are $39.99 at both. I went to a Ford dealer and they want $141 for the blower motor. My Explorer has 186,000 miles and I figure it's worn out. I took it apart and cleaned out the dust. Probably from the bushing. It's nice to see all the dust combined with the water on the evaporator I think it is.

Any suggestions on where to find a motor or making a gasket for an after market replacement? I am guessing or hoping the resistor is good. Should I consider replacing it first?
JonAlthoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 01:54 PM   #20
bdmaash
YYC
'01 sport trac

Vehicle Specs

"Any suggestions on where to find a motor or making a gasket for an after market replacement? I am guessing or hoping the resistor is good. Should I consider replacing it first? "

$40 is good price for the motor, unless your truck is only worth a few hundred dollars, then it's too much.
If it doesn't come with a gasket and the old one breaks, just get some thin weatherstripping foam tape.
If the motor works fine/consistently on high speed (max), and doesn't work on other settings then it may be the resistor.
The resistor is probably more expensive, but I've never looked into pricing.

the "squirrel cage" should be held on with a spring clip, so it's easy to transfer over to the new motor.

The problem I found with blower motors is that they use a bushing instead of a bearing (sealed), the bushing wears out and the armature (shaft of motor) drops so it's not centered anymore and then the motor doesn't spin freely.

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page