Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Tow Rig Forum

Notices

Tow Rig Forum Towing, hauling, boats, campers, trailers etc... Trailer hitches, weight distribution, hitch ball, safety chains, tow bar and brake controllers. Discuss it all here!

U-Haul hitch - part # 78166

Old 06-05-2008, 09:42 PM   #1
Tom Brown
Regina, SK
2000 Limited

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
U-Haul hitch - part # 78166

When I was calling around town for a Hidden Hitch model 70647, just about every dealer told me they could get them in but that I should contact U-Haul. Everyone claimed that U-Haul make a Hidden Hitch clone that is the same thing for a lot less.

.... so I called U-Haul and now have a 78166.

It's hideous. It will be coming off. My nice black Limited has a 4" black (and silver where it has no paint) pipe hanging below the bumper. It does not tuck up under the bumper like the Hidden Hitch and it does not curve much with the spare tire like the Hidden Hitch.

Now I'm going to do what I should have done in the first place. I'm going to order a 70647, rip this eyesore off my X, and put on the far more attractive Hidden Hitch unit.

.... just a cautionary note to anyone who is told the same story. U-Haul does not sell a clone of Hidden Hitch. They aren't even that similar.
Tom Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

Join the Elite Explorers for only $20 a year. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:07 PM   #2
Essex4x4
Johnston Iowa
2011 Dodge Grand Caravan

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The link below is for the etrailer.com hidden hitch for $136.95. If you click on the link when the page opens up there is a video showing the install on a 1996 Explorer.

If you spend $150.00 on etrailer you get free shipping

The Swagger Wagon
http://youtu.be/ql-N3F1FhW4
Fuel economy, cargo and family fun power... yep I bought a minivan Love it!!

Last edited by Essex4x4; 06-05-2008 at 10:17 PM.
Essex4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 10:09 PM   #3
James909
Long Island, NY
1994 GMC Yukon 2 Door

Vehicle Specs

Thanks for the heads up. I've never really liked the U-Haul hitches either. The main reason I would never buy a hitch from them though is because they've forever lost my business since they banned renting their trailers to Explorer owners. It's kind of ironic actually that U-Haul will sell a hitch for an Explorer but won't allow you to rent a trailer.

350 TBI
James909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:11 AM   #4
Crunchy
Ottawa, Ontario
Ranger 03 XLT 4L SOHC 2wd

Vehicle Specs

UHaul doesn't make hitches. They buy them and slap their sticker on it. I went in to buy one, they said it is actually a draw-tite so go to draw-tites website for instructions to install. But when it came in, it was a curts brand, so I went to the curt site for instructions.
Crunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:37 AM   #5
wyochimneysweep
fargo, nd
97 explorer AWD 5.0

Vehicle Specs

the hicth at etrailers is the same as the reese i got at advance auto. i'm very happy with it and have towed 5000 plus pounds easily with it.
wyochimneysweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 11:49 PM   #6
71cutty455
St. Louis, MO
1998 XLT 5.0 V8 AWD

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Any pics on how the U-haul hitch looks?

Old 06-07-2008, 12:19 AM   #7
Gator Jeff
Elite In Memoriam
2000 Sport 4x4

Vehicle Specs

I've got one on my 2000 Sport. It's no hidden hitch, but it's not too bad. The paint isn't worth a crap though. It's flaking and now getting some surface rust. I need to take a wire wheel to it and repaint it.

I have to say though that I'd never buy a U-Haul anything. Between their stance on Explorers and the fact that their vehicles are rolling death-traps, I wouldn't buy a packing box from those @#$%*&#$. I hate to see more people killed, but it's invetible and I look forward to reading one day that they were sued out of business.

A great cause -- Leary Firefighters Foundation

RIP Jeff - You are truly missed
Gator Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 02:58 AM   #8
Tom Brown
Regina, SK
2000 Limited

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
I apologize for taking so long to post a picture. I've been extremely busy but found the time to snap a shot of the hitch this evening after returning from some back country exploring.

I suppose it's not completely hideous. I prefer it to the big square style hidden hitch but it's crap compared to the nicely inconspicuous tube style hidden hitch.

Tom Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:47 AM   #9
rc-guy
Tennessee
99 Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

Hi guys, does anyone have a picture of the Hidden Hitch installed on this body style?

I have looked all over and it seems that there was never an original ford hitch for this vehicle?

Thanks guys,
Alex
rc-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 01:47 PM   #10
jseabolt
Kingsport, Tennessee
2006 Explorer Limted V8

Vehicle Specs

US

Quote:
Originally Posted by James909 View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I've never really liked the U-Haul hitches either. The main reason I would never buy a hitch from them though is because they've forever lost my business since they banned renting their trailers to Explorer owners. It's kind of ironic actually that U-Haul will sell a hitch for an Explorer but won't allow you to rent a trailer.
What? U-haul won't rent trailers to Explorer owners?!? Doesn't surprise me, I remember when I had my Jeep Wrangler I heard they wouldn't rent to Wrangler owner's either.

One of the main reasons I bought my Explorer was to haul one of my vintage cars to a car show up in Pennsylvania in August. Now I may have problems trying to find someone who will rent me a car hauler?

Maybe or maybe not from U haul. Are they the only ones that don't rent to U haul owners? Enterprise?

My father has a full size Chevy van with a trailer hitch. Perhaps I should get him to pick the trailer up for me then drop it at my house.

Would they sue me if I brought the trailer back to them with my Explorer? Like do they make you sign an agreement that it won't be used on specific vehicles like Explorers and Wranglers?

By the way, their converter boxes are crap. I had them install one on my Subaru Baja so I could pull a 4X8 utility trailer. They kept shorting out.

After the second replacement at $80, I went and purchased a non-powered unit from Northern Tools for $9, put it on myself and it's been working fine since.
jseabolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 01:33 PM   #11
1_v8_merc
calvert,MD
04 Mounty

Vehicle Specs

Why would you want to buy a Hitch from U-haul?
There's so many better aftermarket companies out there.
(well atleast for my 3rd gen there is.)

My hitch hangs very low too, I had to get a 5 1/2" gooseneck and flip it right-side up just to get the Ball mounting point at a center level for towing.....otherwise i'd be dragging stuff and not towing it.

Old 07-16-2009, 05:02 PM   #12
Joe Dirt
Elite Explorer

07 Camry

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
The real question is: Why would U-Haul offer a hitch for a Ford Explorer which you can then be content to NOT use any of their rental trailers with?

Old 07-17-2009, 09:39 AM   #13
jseabolt
Kingsport, Tennessee
2006 Explorer Limted V8

Vehicle Specs

US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dirt View Post
The real question is: Why would U-Haul offer a hitch for a Ford Explorer which you can then be content to NOT use any of their rental trailers with?
My Hidden Hitch just arrived yesterday. Just like the one I ordered for my Subaru it looks like a nice hitch. I found it on Ebay for around $160.

I would have prefered they shipped it in a box rather than sticking a bunch of shipment stickers all over it. How the bag of bolts made it with the hitch I have not a clue. It was laying next to the hitch on my doorstep.
jseabolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 01:26 PM   #14
Joe Dirt
Elite Explorer

07 Camry

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essex4x4 View Post
The link below is for the etrailer.com hidden hitch for $136.95. If you click on the link when the page opens up there is a video showing the install on a 1996 Explorer.

If you spend $150.00 on etrailer you get free shipping
Did their prices just go up? It shows $165.00 now...

Old 07-18-2009, 03:36 PM   #15
Essex4x4
Johnston Iowa
2011 Dodge Grand Caravan

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dirt View Post
Did their prices just go up? It shows $165.00 now...
WOW guess the economy changes are effecting even the internet companies. To answer your question yes the price went up, when i first was looking this hitch was much cheaper. They are still doing free shipping so if you buy the hitch the total cost would be the hitch plus tax.

The Swagger Wagon
http://youtu.be/ql-N3F1FhW4
Fuel economy, cargo and family fun power... yep I bought a minivan Love it!!
Essex4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 11:49 AM   #16
Duster Doug
2000 XLT

Vehicle Specs

I am thinking of getting the U-Haul hitch as their price is only $105 CND.

No picture of the U-Haul 78166 on this thread anymore. Is this it??

If not does anyone have a picture of it?? Please post so I can see what it looks like before I buy it. Thanks!

Last edited by Duster Doug; 11-13-2010 at 05:56 PM.
Duster Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 04:22 PM   #17
Joe Dirt
Elite Explorer

07 Camry

Vehicle Specs

Hidden Hitch, Draw-Tite, Reese are all Cequent Technologies products.

U-Haul buys their hitches from Curt, Cequent, and Valley.

All of the hitches are produced by Cequent, or Valley Industries for the Explorer.

I bought mine from this seller, and they're on sale right now... CLICK

Here it is on my truck:

Old 11-13-2010, 05:24 PM   #18
Duster Doug
2000 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Thanks Joe. That's exactly what I'm looking for. Nice tight fit under the bumper.

From what I can tell the U-Haul hitch (#78166) is indeed a Valley #V81680 unit, which seems to me to be the same as the Hidden Hitch #70647 unit. Or am I missing something??

BTW - we have exactly the same X - same colour (Deep Wedgewood Blue?), same trim, same chrome! Nice.

Last edited by Duster Doug; 11-13-2010 at 05:59 PM.
Duster Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 04:35 PM   #19
Joe Dirt
Elite Explorer

07 Camry

Vehicle Specs

Of the 2 hitches, I don't think there is any real difference. I'm sure U-Haul buys some from Valley, then buys some from Cequent/HH/DT/Reese depending on who's cheapest at the moment. Kind of like Sears does with their Kenmore appliances... Dozens of vendors there...

Thanks for the comments!

It's way better than the visual abhorrition that was on my '95. I hated this hitch, but I got it for $30

Old 11-15-2010, 12:37 PM   #20
thebrakeman
Canton, Michigan
2006 Mercury Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Most of these different brands come from the same plant. When I purchesed a "Reese" weight-distributing hitch kit for my previously owned Chrysler minivan, the source was backordered, but they arranged to drop-ship directly from the Cequent plant. When it arrived, the WDH head unit had a "Reese" sticker on it, but the lifter mechanism had a "Drawtite" sticker. hehe

Cashmere/Camel Interior, navigation, power 3rd row
2004 Surveyor 261T Hybrid Travel Trailer (27 ft)
Equal-i-zer 10,000 lb 4-pt Sway Control WDH
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page