Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

Cruise Control button replacement

Old 06-18-2008, 10:44 PM   #1
gold_expl
'01 Sport

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Cruise Control button replacement

Hello!

I own a 2001 ford explorer sport. This may sound stupid, but the plastic on the "on" button for cruise control is cracked and looks bad so I want to replace it (OCD) and I was wondering if I could replace the original buttons (here) with some of these (here) MOTORCRAFT Part # SW6350 buttons. It says they are compatible but I was wondering if I would just replace the buttons and that's it, nothing else, or if I would have to replace other things too for the new buttons to work. The only reason I have this concern is because in the description on www.rockauto.com says this> Sport; Kit, Mounted In Brake Line Or Master Cylinder; Deactivator<

please and thank you!

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:48 PM   #2
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Welcome to this forum! From the links above, the correct part is available, so why would you want to use a different part?
BrooklynBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:11 AM   #3
Sams01XplrSprt
Southern Cali Explorer
Newport Beach California & Bay Area California

2001 Sport (sold)

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
welcome aboard

Old 06-19-2008, 02:44 AM   #4
redneck21
Georgia
1999 sport

Vehicle Specs

I don't think they will fix . Look at the screw holes don't look like the will line up. Im sure you could make then fix if you really wanted to just need a lil work.
redneck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 06:48 AM   #5
JoeMahma
Pa.
1997 Mercury Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold_expl View Post
Hello!

I own a 2001 ford explorer sport. This may sound stupid, but the plastic on the "on" button for cruise control is cracked and looks bad so I want to replace it (OCD) and I was wondering if I could replace the original buttons (here) with some of these (here) MOTORCRAFT Part # SW6350 buttons. It says they are compatible but I was wondering if I would just replace the buttons and that's it, nothing else, or if I would have to replace other things too for the new buttons to work. The only reason I have this concern is because in the description on www.rockauto.com says this> Sport; Kit, Mounted In Brake Line Or Master Cylinder; Deactivator<

please and thank you!
Just go to the junkyard and pick one up.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:01 AM   #6
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Send KBabiak a PM or an email. I'm sure that he will have what you are looking for.
BrooklynBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 01:18 PM   #7
gold_expl
'01 Sport

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Well the reason I want the other part is because it doesn't look like it will tear up as easily, but I think I will just buy the original ford part. Besides, the ford one has lights in it and the one I was looking at does not. And thanks for all the responses!

Old 06-19-2008, 04:37 PM   #8
gold_expl
'01 Sport

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Hey everyone.

Just wanted you guys to know that I ordered some new buttons today from Amazon.com (here) because they were a steal, $34.15 with free shipping, and it is the same part # as Rockauto's so no worries. Thanks people, if not for you guys I would probably have ordered the wrong part! Peace!

Old 06-20-2008, 02:07 AM   #9
JoeMahma
Pa.
1997 Mercury Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Hey everyone.

Just wanted you guys to know that I ordered some new buttons today from Amazon.com (here) because they were a steal, $34.15 with free shipping, and it is the same part # as Rockauto's so no worries. Thanks people, if not for you guys I would probably have ordered the wrong part! Peace!
Nice! Even better than the junkyard.

Old 06-20-2008, 02:16 AM   #10
badge49
Humboldt, CA

'97 XLT 4X4

Vehicle Specs

Gold_Expl, If the only broken part is the face of the button (rubber), then you may be able to swap in the new cover without taking off the entire old unit. The rubber faceplates pull right off, and push back on. If the button inside is broken, you may have to remove the steering wheel center (horn/airbag) cover to get to the screws.
badge49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 04:48 AM   #11
JoeMahma
Pa.
1997 Mercury Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by badge49 View Post
Gold_Expl, If the only broken part is the face of the button (rubber), then you may be able to swap in the new cover without taking off the entire old unit. The rubber faceplates pull right off, and push back on. If the button inside is broken, you may have to remove the steering wheel center (horn/airbag) cover to get to the screws.
IMHO It's just as easy to replace the entire assembly. You risk breaking the clips on the new rubber faceplates is you pull them apart. Trust me I know.

P.S. Not to state the obvious but make sure you disconnect your battery before you go fooling around with the airbag.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:47 PM   #12
gold_expl
'01 Sport

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Lol yeah I was planning to use the steps on this post to replace the on button. I might replace the other buttons (set accel, etc) because the light is burned out in it and I think the new one comes with lights (?) but I'm not sure. Hey I have one more question. Does anyone know how much it co$t$ to get a new key from ford? I only have one working key so I can't program a new one myself

Old 06-20-2008, 01:52 PM   #13
gold_expl
'01 Sport

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Also, apparently amazon raised their price today on those buttons! I only paid $34.15 and now they are $38.87

Old 06-20-2008, 02:14 PM   #14
Green68
San Antonio, Texas
1999 Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

Find a local locksmith that has the programmer for the keys. They will be a lot cheaper than at Ford.

'02 Volvo S80
Hey, it's a Ford....sort of
Green68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 08:53 PM   #15
oplitic
Deering, NH
98 Mounty

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Lol yeah I was planning to use the steps on this post to replace the on button. I might replace the other buttons (set accel, etc) because the light is burned out in it and I think the new one comes with lights (?) but I'm not sure. Hey I have one more question. Does anyone know how much it co$t$ to get a new key from ford? I only have one working key so I can't program a new one myself
When I got one programmed and cut about 3 months ago it cost me $80. But you can buy the key off ebay cheaper, get it cut at wal-mart or someplace around you and only pay to have them program it, or the locksmith.

98 Mountaineer - Chopped top, welded, 3" BL, TT, shackles, jeep lift spring bastard pack, 34x10.5x15 swampers on white wagon wheels, cb, alpine deck, Infinity Speakers, 1 mile 2 way remote start/alarm, etc.
oplitic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:07 PM   #16
gold_expl
'01 Sport

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
well truthfully my key has been through some tough times with the previous owner and is VERY worn out, it won't even unlock the doors anymore, I'm surprised it can even start the car! I think the ford dealership cuts a new key from the VIN number. (At least I hope they do)

Old 06-20-2008, 11:38 PM   #17
Charlie
Wisconsin
1995 F-150

Vehicle Specs

Since when does amazon have car parts?

Geez, they've got everything.

1996 Sport
2000 XLT
1995 F-150
1987 F-150 XLT "The General"
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 04:35 PM   #18
gold_expl
'01 Sport

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Price on the buttons are back down to $34.15, for future reference. (here)
Also, not sure what the actual difference is but here is another one on amazon (different model #) for slightly cheaper. (here)

lastly, does anyone know if the buttons I currently have on my truck (stock for 2001 explorer sport) would work with a 1995 ford explorer? I know they look exactly the same but amazon.com's "make sure it fits" says it will not work. Just want a second opinion.
Thanks!

Last edited by gold_expl; 06-22-2008 at 04:49 PM.
gold_expl is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page