97 Explorer Power Steering Pressure Hose | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 Explorer Power Steering Pressure Hose

Johnnybull

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer Sport
I have a 97 Explorer Sport with a 4.0 SOHC. I purchased a power steering pressure hose for it and have been told by Ford parts man they rerouted it. Hose looks night and day different from original and I'm not having any luck finding out how they want it rerouted. My machanic is also scratching his head. :scratch: Said he has never run across this one before. The hose looks too short but it is the Ford part numbered hose. Has anyone out there been through this yet. I would appricate any help or possible pictures you might have on this. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I cannot say what the 97 part is or changed to. My 99 truck I bought a new high pressure line which was longer then stock. It runs forward from under the AC compressor, simply looping back from behind the frame horn. Mine has a built in plastic clip which pushed into the inner frame rail, forward of the sway bar area. Hopefully your line is supposed to do the same thing. Good luck, here are the used and new lines on my 99 truck.

Attachments

• 99SOHCfrontdress001.JPG
    99SOHCfrontdress001.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 23,584
  • PressurePS line.JPG
    PressurePS line.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 7,673

Thanks

This is exactly what I was looking for. We should be able to have it on in no time. Just couldn't seem to figure it out with out tearing everything off of the front of the engine. We didn't know if the new hose went into the other side of the pump or what. Again Thank you, you guys are Great. :thumbsup:

Glad to help, when I was thinking about that part I had the whole body off to get to everything. Regards,

I Realize the thread is 3 years old, but thanks for the post... big help!

Power Steering High Pressure Hose

I had the same questions a year ago when I replaced the pump, reservoir, and related hoses. As you wrote, the difference is so striking that even the parts guy at the Ford dealership thought it wasn't the right one, even though the computer said it was.
Before I left the dealer, I had a mechanic come over to confirm that it was the right one, and how to route it. I used a crows-foot flare to tighten the high pressure fitting at the pump.
Since the push-in strain relief plastic piece that goes into the frame wasn't staying very well, I added a heavy-duty tie-wrap around the frame and around the hose to keep the plastic piece in place. That seemed to work quite well.

Good luck,
Dick

I cannot say what the 97 part is or changed to. My 99 truck I bought a new high pressure line which was longer then stock. It runs forward from under the AC compressor, simply looping back from behind the frame horn. Mine has a built in plastic clip which pushed into the inner frame rail, forward of the sway bar area. Hopefully your line is supposed to do the same thing. Good luck, here are the used and new lines on my 99 truck.
I wanted to say thanks too! I picked up the same part and spent about three hours trying to figure out what the engineers were thinking. This is the only post I found. Hopefully it won't take long when I tackle it in the morning.

I wanted to say thanks too! I picked up the same part and spent about three hours trying to figure out what the engineers were thinking. This is the only post I found. Hopefully it won't take long when I tackle it in the morning.

I'm glad to help. The Teflon seals at each end of the PS line are the only real issue to watch. A new line will have new seals, but be careful with them. They work great the first time used, but once removed there isn't much left of the seal. I've reused one once, and it didn't leak, but I did try to locate a new seal before trying that. Regards,

The photos CDW6212R provided helped me greatly. I just wanted to add a few more photos of the placement to add a few more views. In case it helps save somebody some time.

http://imgur.com/a/K8jgp

I have a 97 Explorer Sport with a 4.0 SOHC. I purchased a power steering pressure hose for it and have been told by Ford parts man they rerouted it. Hose looks night and day different from original and I'm not having any luck finding out how they want it rerouted. My machanic is also scratching his head. :scratch: Said he has never run across this one before. The hose looks too short but it is the Ford part numbered hose. Has anyone out there been through this yet. I would appricate any help or possible pictures you might have on this. Thanks
Hey! I had a question about mine. I was going through the same issues as youu, couldn't find the same hose for the life of me. The one I ordered said it would work. However, my hose looks different from what everyone else is posting so I'm confused. I will attach photos of the one that's in it now and the one I bought. My hose doesn't seem to have all that extra hardline. So I was wondering after all this time of you've run into this issue or seen this type of line before

IMG_20221015_150835.jpg IMG_20221015_150842.jpg 16660418101858787067033200440845.jpg

Ford revised the power steering high pressure hose for the SOHC V6, either should work. I replaced mine in 2006 with the new version, it has extra hose length and attaches to the frame rail side. I think they did that to give it more length, to reduce stress on the line ends.

Be sure you have new Teflon seals for the ends of that line, it will probably leak without them.

Back