• Register Today It's free!

serpentine belt pulleys

nmlax39

Reaction score
City, State
huntersville, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
a couple weeks ago i noticed a squealing under the hood of my 92 4.0 liter explorer the serpentine belt was cracked and frayed so i took it off to replace it. when i was checking the pulleys one of them was loose and wobbling around and another wouldnt move when i tried to turn it how do i fix these?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the one on the far right wobbled(if your looking down at the engine)
and the one on the bottom dont know what they're called though

If you have a/c, the one on the far right is the compressor, and something is wrong there....the one on the bottom you refer to is either the crank pulley (bad) or the idler on the tensioner assembly, which can be replaced. Is the one on the bottom you refer to a big one or a smaller one? And does the one on the right have ribs on the pulley or is it smooth?

i have ac and the one on the right is ribbed and the one on the bottom is big\

Hmmm....That means somehow the A/C compressor got bent as well as the crank pulley....Has the truck ever been wrecked? Or something else traumatic happen to it? It COULD be the crank pulley is just loose. If that's the case you would have to replace the balancer, hopefully the crankshaft isn't bent.

Is there any weird vibrations to the motor?

no wrecks or anything i think its just loose but its also binds up a little when i try to move it not as bad as the bottom one though i dont think anything is bent

If you think the crank pulley is just loose, try tightening the bolt that holds it on. It's possible the bolt backed out some, although unlikely. Not sure what could have happened to the A/C pump though...

Maybe someone with a little more experience can help us out here.

ok ill try it what do i do with the bottom one

oh sorry the bottom one is just not spinning the one on the far right is the one wobbling

no its not and ya its ribbed so is the right one

Can you give me the number of the pulleys you are talking about from this diagram? You would be looking at the top one.

0900823d800b86f5.gif

ya sorry the one on the right is the power steering but the diagram under the hood is ripped so i couldnt see what the bottom one was but its right under the idler pulley

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

7 doesnt turn at all and five wobbles and is hard to turn

Back