Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.


Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations"® > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Explorer - Ranger Interior Accessories

Notices

Explorer - Ranger Interior Accessories Seating, Neons, Custom Upholstery, Headliners, Carpet, Console, etc...

3rd row seating Installation

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2008, 08:20 PM   #1
smithjer
Gresham, Oregon
'02 Limited
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
3rd row seating Installation

I'd like to install 3rd row seating into a '02 Explorer .. ideas on how difficult this may be?
smithjer is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.


Old 07-26-2008, 12:38 PM   #2
CBII
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
91 XLT
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 317

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I Don't think it would be overly difficult...I think some here did it already. Try the search button.

A rear seat out of the back of a TJ or a Sidekick might fit right between the wheel wells.

Don't got get about seat belts either.




__________________
91 Explorer - 4.0L, A4LD, Manual BW-1354, 31" BFG AT's, HID's.

87 BII - 2.9L, Manual, D35, 31" BFG MT's, 4" lift, James Duff(radius arms, shocks, bushings), Cobra CB, tons of other cool stuff.
CBII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 02:21 PM   #3
smithjer
Gresham, Oregon
'02 Limited
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Seats are in!

Obtained the 3rd row seats from a salvage yard yesterday and had them install in about 2 hours. Working on the seat belts. The shoulder restraint bolts in behind the rear corner panels. All is well but the belts are retracted into the spring loaded belt spool... I can't figure our how to get the belt to pull freely. Any ideas on how to unlock the tension spring / rachet device?
smithjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:04 AM   #4
PhotoByFriend
2002
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 18

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
VERY interested in some tips and pics of how you did this! Please let us know.
PhotoByFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 10:01 PM   #5
PhotoByFriend
2002
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 18

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I finally got around to doing this. The plastic panels snap on and off without tools. You will need a 15 mm socket and a T50 torx socket. Air tools help immensely.
NOTE: Some of these pics are from a factory third row vehicle that I used for comparisons.

List of materials from donor vehicle:
[*]The third row rear bench
• Left and right rear pillar panels ( they have the slots for the belt to pass thru)
• Left and right seat belts,floor bracket and the Torx bolts that mount them.
• Passenger side rear side panel from a third row vehicle unless you want to cut out a hole in your side cover.
• Left and right quick release plastic seat latches for the bottom of the third row seat cushion.
• The metal frame from that goes directly behind the rear seat that allows the jack compartment cover to be installed. You can reuse your bracket that holds the jack down.
• The jack compartment cover from the donor vehicle.
• Extra (matching) carpeting for between the third row foot well at the back of the middle seat floor. Once you remove the plastic footwell there is no insulation or carpet.

Installation

1. You will need to remove both floor panels that cover the jack area.
-unbolt and remove the plastic tray behind the middle seats (this becomes your footwell)



2. Unbolt the bracket that holds the jack in.

3. Remove trim piece that spans the cargo area (look up at the headliner). This allow the rear side pillar covers to be removed by gently pulling on them.

4. You will also need to pull the wheel well side panels out of the way to access as the seat belt tensioners mount upside down behind the tail lights. The holes will be there. Remember the may seem locked up but that is because they need to be mounted in the correct position for them to unreel.

5. You will see where and how they mount as a little tang has to fit in the provided slot and the corresponding bolt hole lines up perfectly. The holes will not be threaded so use the bolts to cut the threads gently. Be careful not to strip the holes by over tightening the bolts.




6. Replace the passenger side panel with one for a third row seat and then snap the drivers side panels back in place as well.



7. Snap the trim piece back in that spans the top of the hatch area.

8. Unbolt the car seat "latches" in the cargo area and replace with the other end of the seat belts. NOTE: You can see that the carpet does not continue.



9. When you set the third row seat in the back you will see where the seat brackets should mount to the floor. The four holes are under the carpet covered with foil tape. Thread the bolts in (they are not threaded but they will cut the threads). Don't over tighten or they will strip out and you will have to attach a nut from underneath the vehicle. You will also need to mount the seat belt bracket in the middle of the seat. The holes are there as well. NOTEon't forget to cover the old holes in the floor to keep it from leaking.

10. Mount the metal bracket behind the third row (it has Velcro on it to attached the back portion of the seat cover) and the bracket that locks down the jack. Install the floor compartment cover. You will see that you no longer have the storage space under the floor like before. You are done back here.



11. On the floor where the cushion will go, you will see two rubber black grommets. These will need to be replaced with the two plastic quick release latches that the bottom of the seat cushion clicks into. The rear of the cushion slides under the back and then locks into these brackets.

See picture below.


This is also the area you will need extra carpeting and/or sound proofing.

NOTE: Remember that unless you have the folding second row seat it will be a bitch to climb in and out. I picked up all three rows (pwr buckets, middle and third leather )of seats for $280.00 including seat belts, bolts, panels, and all parts necessary from the junk yard.

The second row seats install easily but they use different mounting holes (already in the floor and covered with foil tape). You just need to reuse the original bolts that you removed that held down the original seats.

The front buckets bolt right in but the wiring for the drivers power seat is a PIA and a story for another time.

Hope I didn’t make this too confusing.




__________________
2002 Ford Explorer XLS 4 door 3 wheel drive leatherlike interior, 4.0 super turbo nitros power diesel torque air cooled, ham and butter motor with Moen faucets. Premium fuel recommended. NSFW.

Last edited by PhotoByFriend; 02-01-2009 at 02:39 PM.
PhotoByFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 11:26 AM   #6
Sweet Tea
Louisville
2003 XLs
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
3rd row install

photobyfriend, I noticed that you swapped out your 60/40 bench with the 40/20/40 bench, I am assuming that was b/c you wanted the tilt function so people could easily climb into the 3rd row and your 60/40 did not tilt. I just bought a 3rd row and have it installed, but people have to climb in. I also have the 60/40 bench and it only folds down and I was wondering if you noticed or know if the 40 from both bench styles are interchangable so that I can still keep my 60 bench but install a new 40 (from a 40/20/40) that has the tilt functionality. I hope this makes sense to you.
Sweet Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 01:20 PM   #7
Stevis!
Unregistered
 
Posts: n/a

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Did you buy from an aftermarket place, if so which one? Also can you post a photo of it?

Thanks!
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:54 PM   #8
jlbanderasb
Yuma Az
2002 xlt
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 42

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi, could you share a picture that shows how finally the 3rd row seat looks after installation?
jlbanderasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 12:11 AM   #9
jlbanderasb
Yuma Az
2002 xlt
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 42

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithjer View Post
Obtained the 3rd row seats from a salvage yard yesterday and had them install in about 2 hours. Working on the seat belts. The shoulder restraint bolts in behind the rear corner panels. All is well but the belts are retracted into the spring loaded belt spool... I can't figure our how to get the belt to pull freely. Any ideas on how to unlock the tension spring / rachet device?
Try to position the seat belt mechanism in the position it'll be finally in your car, by doing this you'll see how the mechanisim releases the belt!!!.....any other position will lock the mechanism.....
jlbanderasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:44 PM   #10
jlbanderasb
Yuma Az
2002 xlt
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 42

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoByFriend View Post
I finally got around to doing this. The plastic panels snap on and off without tools. You will need a 15 mm socket and a T50 torx socket. Air tools help immensely.
NOTE: Some of these pics are from a factory third row vehicle that I used for comparisons.

List of materials from donor vehicle:
[*]The third row rear bench
• Left and right rear pillar panels ( they have the slots for the belt to pass thru)
• Left and right seat belts,floor bracket and the Torx bolts that mount them.
• Passenger side rear side panel from a third row vehicle unless you want to cut out a hole in your side cover.
• Left and right quick release plastic seat latches for the bottom of the third row seat cushion.
• The metal frame from that goes directly behind the rear seat that allows the jack compartment cover to be installed. You can reuse your bracket that holds the jack down.
• The jack compartment cover from the donor vehicle.
• Extra (matching) carpeting for between the third row foot well at the back of the middle seat floor. Once you remove the plastic footwell there is no insulation or carpet.

Installation

1. You will need to remove both floor panels that cover the jack area.
-unbolt and remove the plastic tray behind the middle seats (this becomes your footwell)



2. Unbolt the bracket that holds the jack in.

3. Remove trim piece that spans the cargo area (look up at the headliner). This allow the rear side pillar covers to be removed by gently pulling on them.

4. You will also need to pull the wheel well side panels out of the way to access as the seat belt tensioners mount upside down behind the tail lights. The holes will be there. Remember the may seem locked up but that is because they need to be mounted in the correct position for them to unreel.

5. You will see where and how they mount as a little tang has to fit in the provided slot and the corresponding bolt hole lines up perfectly. The holes will not be threaded so use the bolts to cut the threads gently. Be careful not to strip the holes by over tightening the bolts.




6. Replace the passenger side panel with one for a third row seat and then snap the drivers side panels back in place as well.



7. Snap the trim piece back in that spans the top of the hatch area.

8. Unbolt the car seat "latches" in the cargo area and replace with the other end of the seat belts. NOTE: You can see that the carpet does not continue.



9. When you set the third row seat in the back you will see where the seat brackets should mount to the floor. The four holes are under the carpet covered with foil tape. Thread the bolts in (they are not threaded but they will cut the threads). Don't over tighten or they will strip out and you will have to attach a nut from underneath the vehicle. You will also need to mount the seat belt bracket in the middle of the seat. The holes are there as well. NOTEon't forget to cover the old holes in the floor to keep it from leaking.

10. Mount the metal bracket behind the third row (it has Velcro on it to attached the back portion of the seat cover) and the bracket that locks down the jack. Install the floor compartment cover. You will see that you no longer have the storage space under the floor like before. You are done back here.



11. On the floor where the cushion will go, you will see two rubber black grommets. These will need to be replaced with the two plastic quick release latches that the bottom of the seat cushion clicks into. The rear of the cushion slides under the back and then locks into these brackets.

See picture below.


This is also the area you will need extra carpeting and/or sound proofing.

NOTE: Remember that unless you have the folding second row seat it will be a bitch to climb in and out. I picked up all three rows (pwr buckets, middle and third leather )of seats for $280.00 including seat belts, bolts, panels, and all parts necessary from the junk yard.

The second row seats install easily but they use different mounting holes (already in the floor and covered with foil tape). You just need to reuse the original bolts that you removed that held down the original seats.

The front buckets bolt right in but the wiring for the drivers power seat is a PIA and a story for another time.

Hope I didn’t make this too confusing.
All this info was more than helpful, I did it and worked well......I just wanted to add that the unused holes needs to be threaded, in my car all the screwws are M10x1.25......

Thank you!!!!!!
jlbanderasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:48 PM   #11
gsanders32
Lubbock Texas
2000 for explore
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you have photos of seat put in?
gsanders32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:44 AM   #12
dbush72
PRIEST RIVER / PRIEST LAKE, IDAHO
84 Full size Bronco XLT
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 47

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dk Exp

hello all ! how about uninstalling 3rd row seat?? i would like to put my amps and subs out of the way... have been trying to figure if i can deck over 3rd row, and fab frame to attatch the almost orphaned seat to and have it be able to be removeable?? i should be able to leave shoulder belts in place, and attatch latch ends to seat frame... was eye ballin' my 85 bronco xlt back seat and it folds forward then unpins for removal. has any body done some thing like this before? any pix a plus. thanx




__________________
K.I.A.-#1:a 96.flipped/rolled,ejected,walked 1 1/2 mi.for ride to hospital.broke 9 ribs,rt.collarbone,sternum,2 vertabrae,rt eye lid ripped #off&hanging by small thread#2:a 02.cilmbed steep side hill,hit atree,rippingLFwheel,upper spring assy.off,landed on rt side in ditch,bending RR toe link.Unhurt.#3:new02.@60ish mph,launched off a driveway embankment,air for 57',alt.20'+,landed all four,-20' fromTD to 0mph.DROVE AWAY!$85 ticket-driving left of center.I'M GETTING BETTER AT THIS!!!NOW:84 bronco
dbush72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 04:48 PM   #13
fornetti14
SW, Michigan
'03 Eddie Bauer
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 21

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is a very helpful writeup!




__________________
'03 Explorer V8
fornetti14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:27 PM   #15
lamore0413
ford explorer 2004
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Unhappy hello

Is it posible for me to add a 3rd set on my 2004 is cause I need an extra seats but the truck dosent came with a 3rd seat?please help
lamore0413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:12 AM   #16
Essex4x4
Johnston Iowa
2011 Dodge Grand Caravan
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,513

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Cool

I hate having a 3rd row seat. Adds weight that I don't need and it kills the amazing storage compartment that I want!




__________________
James

The Swagger Wagon
http://youtu.be/ql-N3F1FhW4
Fuel economy, cargo and family fun power... yep I bought a minivan Love it!!
Essex4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:24 AM   #17
jlbanderasb
Yuma Az
2002 xlt
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 42

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You need the Sport version!!!
jlbanderasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:27 AM   #18
jlbanderasb
Yuma Az
2002 xlt
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 42

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamore0413 View Post
Is it posible for me to add a 3rd set on my 2004 is cause I need an extra seats but the truck dosent came with a 3rd seat?please help
I did it in my 2002 as explained here and it works just perfect!!! be sure you install the seat belts!!!!
jlbanderasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:07 PM   #19
Essex4x4
Johnston Iowa
2011 Dodge Grand Caravan
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,513

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbanderasb View Post
You need the Sport version!!!
HA NEVER!! I want an suv not an suv turned truck lol.




__________________
James

The Swagger Wagon
http://youtu.be/ql-N3F1FhW4
Fuel economy, cargo and family fun power... yep I bought a minivan Love it!!
Essex4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:49 PM   #20
jad2411
I'm a jackass!
El Paso, TX
 
jad2411's Avatar
blue 02 xlt & white 02xls
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,127

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essex4x4 View Post
HA NEVER!! I want an suv not an suv turned truck lol.
This made no sense




__________________
If interior is to exterior and
include is to exclude, then
increment is to:
jad2411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Suggest this thread to friends:



Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!



Search Explorer Forum


Top of Page

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:24 AM.



US Flag
We Support Our Troops!

Explore the site!


Copyright 2014 - 1996 Rick Horwitz Photography



Ford Motor Company is not involved in the management of this site in any way.



All tips on this site are for use at your own risk and discretion.

Modifying the suspension on any vehicle will cause changes to its handling characteristics.



Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.