Tbars Ranger 7.5 rear wheel bearings... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tbars Ranger 7.5 rear wheel bearings...

Tbars4

Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
anaheim hills,california
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
...Hopefully this will help others when they go to do their rear wheel bearings...If you read the post here there is some really good info including cheap prices on parts...:thumbsup:

...Here is a link if you want to do your own rear bearings...;)
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214805
_________________________________________________________________________________

...The story..

...This last winter I played a little too hard in the Ranger and over enjoyed running the truck in deep water...:rolleyes:

...The short of the story is I wound up needing rear wheel bearings so, about 100 days ago I went to Autozone and had a choice of regular wheel bearings or an all in one bearing which had a built in seal...I opted for the all in one but in hind sight, I will never do that again...

...When we originally installed the rear wheel bearings I had to take one of them directly back as it was leaking with no signs of scoring on the seal..

...After about 70 or so days the bearing we didn't need to swap (the drivers side), started showing signs of leaking...After about 90 days the drivers dide was leaking bad and the passenger side now started showing signs of leaking...

...The Quest...

...Today marks 100 days after purchase and install of these bearings as I went to Autozone today to discuss this problem...

...The manager proceded to tell me of the return problem and the length of time after purchase...I informed them that I wasn't there to debate their return policy, but to replace the P.O.S. bearings they sold me with the normal bearings...After they looked up the options for my 7.5 rearend, they now only carry the all in one bearings with no other option...On to another supplier...

...I went to Pepboy's and Kragen but ran into another problem...They both seem to have the same computer software as neither could tell me if their bearings were for an 8.8 or 7.5 rear end...The only thing they would say is take it and bring it back if it's wrong..:thumbdwn:

...Both of them stated their computer said the bearing fits all but spicer 30 and electric rangers but neither could yet tell me if it would fit mine...:confused:

...The Result...

...I went to a mechanics parts house I know, Parts Source, and their delivery vehicles are all Rangers...:thumbsup:...A little more money but the guys know their Rangers and I had no problem...

..The new bearings I put in are Timken part# 5707 and the seals are part# 8660-s (as seen in the pics below)...

bearings002ck2.jpg

bearings003zu5.jpg

..The Problem Bearings... :thumbdwn: ..

...These are Timkens also but as I was informed, this is all Autozone now carries for the 7.5 rear end...I will not post the part# of these...:thumbdwn:...It seems like the seals were already getting hard...Here are some pics of the problem all in one bearings...Again, I hope this helps you in your search for bearings...:D

bearings014lm2.jpg

bearings013ac3.jpg

bearings012fx3.jpg

..Notes to self..

...Pulling C-Clips from the rear diff is not a place to be during an earthquake..:eek:...I am glad we also had wheel chocks on the truck as it was fully loaded with tools...;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Stick with Timken bearings - you can't go wrong.

And National seals. I once bought a set of CP (I think) seals - one of them bent on the install.

A side note - when your axle wears under the bearing, someone (I forget who) makes an offset bearing. By moving the bearing surface on the axle, you can get longer service from your axle.

Stick with Timken bearings - you can't go wrong.

A side note - when your axle wears under the bearing, someone (I forget who) makes an offset bearing. By moving the bearing surface on the axle, you can get longer service from your axle.

..The all in one bearings I removed after 100 days were Timken's and I will never use the all in ones again..:thumbdwn:

...The other bearings you refer to are known as "Axle Savers"...Also made by Timken and real similar to the all in one bearing...:dunno:

I have never been a fan of the all-in-one design.

The Axle-Savers are Timken's - hopefully that means they are a good piece.

BTW, I have an extra/original 8.8 from a Ranger (too bad you are across the country from me!) I put an Explorer axle with disc brakes in my truck.

BTW, I have an extra/original 8.8 from a Ranger (too bad you are across the country from me!) I put an Explorer axle with disc brakes in my truck.

...Now you are just showing off...:p:

...I have thought a number of times on putting an 8.8 and maybe a dana30 up front..:scratch:..

...This is my daily driver but everytime I take it off road I want it to be better than my X...As it sits, it already is in a number of ways...

...Every time i'm up in the snow and the rear drums freeze, I think about the disc swap too...:D

The conversion was really easy - I was able to use my existing master cylinder. The only plumbing changes I made were new hard lines along the axle and new flex lines (stainless steel braided) from the hard lines to the calipers.

Now, I need to upgrade my '06 FX4......

...When the economy gets better I will probably get a ranger project...:dunno:

I've never heard of axle savers working for too long. The 7.5 or 8.8 bearing/seals are both the same which is probably why they didn't have the info in the system. 99.9% of parts stores etc. will carry Timken because they are the most readily available. I've stocked some Koyo bearings also which are great too. Next time check your vendors on EF and we'll set you strait the first time :p: This is all I do is rear ends so hopefully you wouldn't have suffered through this!

...Doh...:confused:

...The only reason I didn't Use an EF vendor was , I thought this would be as simple as the last time I needed to replace the bearings...:rolleyes:...It was almost an emergency situation as bad as they were leaking after about 1500 miles of city driving..:eek:

...If you got the time, you could post your PN#'s and prices for the 93-97 ranger 7.5 and 8.8 axle bearings and options here, (maybe the 91-94 X's also), and I will be sure to send others your way...:thumbsup:

Next time you need bearings, think Motion Industries. The have more bearings stocked than most of the manufacturers. Yours is

1142 NORTH GILBERT ST.
ANAHEIM, CA 92801
Phone:(714) 780-1791

They are a Timken Dist. but could cross that to an SKF, National etc.

^^^Thanks for the heads up and they sound familiar to me...:scratch:

...Dealing with major chain auto parts houses, (Autozone, Pepboy's, Kragen), just ain't what it used to be...If it's not on the computer, nobody know's anything..:rolleyes:

Sure..

I've got 5750/8660S for 83-06 and the kits are 16.00 each.

Sure..

I've got 5750/8660S for 83-06 and the kits are 16.00 each.

...Cool...:cool:

...Thats for the rangers...Do you have some info on the X's???

...EDIT: What is the difference of the 5750 you show and the 5707 I got???..:scratch:

...Cool...:cool:

...Thats for the rangers...Do you have some info on the X's???

...EDIT: What is the difference of the 5750 you show and the 5707 I got???..:scratch:

There is no difference, why? What did you pay?

Explorers are the same for 91-02 they are 6408 / 8835S ...same cost..

...The difference was the part #'s I guess...:dunno:

...Out here at the major chains, the bearings are 18.99 and the seals 3-5 bucks depending on the store...Your prices are better and includes the seals..:thumbsup:

...Thanks for the info and I'll pass it on..;)

Some of you may know this, but for the others....

Rangers came with 2 versions of the 8.8 axle - a 28 spline version and a 31 spline version. The 28 spline uses the same size axle as the 7.5 (pretty sure) and the 31 spline uses the same size axle as the Explorers. The center sections are the same, but the axle housing and outer axle bearings are different.

The 31 spline version was only on the FX4 Level II models. And, it is about 2" narrower than the Explorer axle.

...Thanks for the very useful info...:thumbsup:

...I originally wanted to snag a level II 8.8 but haven't heard much good about the torsten...:(

I have a Torsen in both on my trucks. My '93 has run it for about 120K miles. No problems - I can even feel them occasionally on a wet road.

The ranger and explorer axles are not interchangeable with any years. The lengths are different on both...

i.e. 91-02 Explorer Left side is 30.5" and right side is 27 5/8"
Rangers are usually shorter by 1/4" depending on the year. The earlier 90's rangers are even shorter.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The ranger and explorer axles are not interchangeable

True. However, an Explorer housing fits very nicely under a Ranger (as long as you have some lift keeping the tires away from the fenders!)

Back