Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2002 - 2005 Explorer Mountaineer 3rd Generation > Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers

Notices

Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers and Mountaineers. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications. Sport Trac and Sport use the 1995-2001 forum.

04 explorer wont start

Old 08-05-2008, 06:36 PM   #1
dragoncrx

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
04 explorer wont start

I have done a ton of searching on the forum and somethings are close but nothing quite all the way. To start it is a 04 explorer 2wd 4.0l engine auto trans. It is not my car one of my wifes friends so I know little about it just trying to help her out. The problem is she went to start it the other day and it wouldn't start jump started it fine she went to walmart had them replace the battery then when they tried to start it nothing now when you turn the key on the check engine light the wrench and the red LED on the dash flashes quickly also there is a ticking coming from what seems like the transmission under the pan. Could the PATs system cause all the lights to come on if it lost the programming or could it be something else also if it is the key could the PATs lock out and is there a way to reset the system without taking it to the dealer, could a locksmith unlock the PATs system. Thanks in advance Dan
dragoncrx is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn what modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to see less ads, no green underlined links, and many other benefits such as being able to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:59 PM   #2
EXPLORER04
Clearwater, FL
04 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
it could be the alternator, test that and also see the charge that the battery has. If it is a new battery and the voltage is below 12, it could be the alternator. The dealer is the only place that can program the PATS system as it needs a special drb scantool. when you turn the key, does it do anything?
EXPLORER04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 07:43 PM   #3
dragoncrx

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
When you turn the key on everything comes on like normal and then with it in the run position the check engine light the wrench looking light and the red LED on the dash start blinking really fast and a ticking comes from around the tranny sounds like it is coming from inside the pan. After they jump started the truck they say it was surging while driving also then after they replaced the battery it would not turn over just the CEL and the other two lights blink fast and clicking noise.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:47 PM   #4
dragoncrx

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
found out what was wrong when walmart changed the battery the keys were not in the ignition I disconnected the battery for about 1 min with the keys in and the ignition switch on reconnected the battery with the ignition on and it works fine now. Go figure 2 days a code reader and its as simple as having the keys in the ignition when reconnecting the battery
Old 08-07-2008, 09:41 PM   #5
DMacLennan14
2004 Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

interesting. when i changed my battery a few months ago(04 4.0l eddie bauer), i didnt have my keys in the ignition when i reconnected it and it worked fine. thats weird how different cars react differently.
DMacLennan14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page