Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Technician's Tips and Tech

Notices

Technician's Tips and Tech This forum is where professional automotive technicians or skilled automotive hobbyists can share their tech tips. Do not post your questions here! Post in the forum best suited to your topic. Questions posted in this forum will be deleted!

3rd Gen Explorer Keypad code Location

Old 08-07-2008, 10:01 PM   #1
fodowvovo
Buffalo NY
2002 XLT 4.6

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
3rd Gen Explorer Keypad code Location

I have put together pictures of the location of the code to your kepad on the door.

The code is behind the the pillar on the passenger rear door. First remove some of the weatherstripping around that area where the cover is with the seatbelt going through it.

Next when you remove some weatherstripping there are 2 clips holding the cover on. Just take a flathead screwdriver and slide them to the right. The clips swivel so don't think you will snap them. Here's a pic of the clips.

Next just pull on the rear of the cover closest to the trunk and that clip will pop. Now to remove push up to pop the bottom clips then pull down because there is a longer metal piece holding in the cover up top to the body of the truck. Once that cover is removed you must pull off a little bit of the lower cover to gain access to the module. In the middle of that cover you will see a clip holding it secure and a plastic prong plugged in the body to keep it stable. Just use your screwdriver to slowly unplug that clip. Dont worry about the plastic prong it will just slide out its not clipped in. Next just pry on that cover a little more towards the rear a little past the rear seat and the clip will pop giving you more flexibility to bend the cover to view the module.
Here is the module looking from the top.

The code is on a sticker on the right side looking from the top. Just bend the cover a little bit and you will see this.

Hope this clarifies it for alot of people!

Last edited by fodowvovo; 08-08-2008 at 10:45 AM.
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:07 AM   #2
Cobraguy
Elite Explorer
Phoenix...Greatest City on Earth

1995 EB & 1999 EB 5.0

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Very nice. Thanks. But I'll offer up a suggestion...black out your code in the pictures. I can read it in the 5th picture down. You don't want the entire internet with access to your vehicle.

Mods...maybe you can do something until he reads this and can fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by four0sport
she is a girl, there are no answers, only more questions!
Old 08-08-2008, 09:02 AM   #3
fodowvovo
Buffalo NY
2002 XLT 4.6

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
i changed my code so thats fine. thanks for the heads up though.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:24 AM   #4
Cobraguy
Elite Explorer
Phoenix...Greatest City on Earth

1995 EB & 1999 EB 5.0

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
No...you haven't disabled that code. The factory code ALWAYS works regardless of what you have changed it to. I can promise you that I can walk up to your car right this moment and unlock it. I'm just trying to help you out here. You never know who is reading this stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by four0sport
she is a girl, there are no answers, only more questions!
Old 08-08-2008, 10:21 AM   #5
fodowvovo
Buffalo NY
2002 XLT 4.6

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
ill fix it thanks.

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!