How much $ to replace the rack and pinion? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How much $ to replace the rack and pinion?

gmanpaint

It's Always Something!
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
MO MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 & 95 XLT's
I just found out the rack and pinion is spewing out both ends! I was told that the whole thing needs replaced. This is definitely something for the pros to do. Thing is, what is a fair price for labor and parts? I got one estimate so far at $500 bucks, does that sound right? I will get a couple more, but I live in a small town and don't have that many choices.

'95 XLT 4 dr / 4x4 smart trac / 4.0 L

Buy a full rack...ends included. ATSCO out of Phoenix here is universally recognized as one of the best steering remanufacturers in the country. There are a lot of jobbers that carry their product. I'm betting a full rack will be around $160 exchange.

These aren't that hard to do actually. Sealing the hoses back up can be a pain...and you must have an alignment when done...but you should be able to do it for $250 yourself...including the alignment. So $250 labor from that shop (if it includes the alignment) sure doesn't sound bad to me for a quality unit.

Back