Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Under the Hood

Notices

Under the Hood Ford Explorer and Ranger, Engine, troubleshooting, modifications, performance and accessories.

engine rattle 99' explorer Timing chain tensioners?

Old 08-15-2008, 02:38 PM   #1
JarGus
O'Fallon, IL
'99 explorer sport

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Question engine rattle 99' explorer Timing chain tensioners?

Hi everyone. I just bought a 99 explorer and every once in a while, when i start it up it will make a loud rattle for about 15 seconds like a chain being pulled over metal. then it will slow down and when i give it gas it never makes the rattle. Does any one have any suggestions on what i should do about this or what the problem is? Any help would be much appreciated
JarGus is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

Join the Elite Explorers for only $20 a year. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 08-15-2008, 04:23 PM   #2
greyphox
Richmond VA
2000 XLT 4.0 SOHC

Vehicle Specs

Check out this thread:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=163298

It should give you all you need to know.
greyphox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 05:57 PM   #3
JarGus
O'Fallon, IL
'99 explorer sport

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Thanks but does any one know the cheapest way and if i can do anything to do this without pulling my engine
JarGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 10:51 AM   #4
Russ in CT
Milford, CT
'99 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Rattle at startup like you described (especially after sitting a while), sounds like the issue with the front cassette tensioner. There was a TSB, which had you replace the front tensioner (which is external, screws into the head) with a new one with an oil resevoir built into it, and at the same time you rmeove this little plug next to the tensioner to insert this little plastic 'anti-drainback' thingy. The idea is that after sitting, and oil drained back into the pan, during the time it takes oil pressure to reach the head, and provide 'spring' to the tensioner, the front chain makes a lot of noise until pressure builds up and full tension is restored (I understand these tensioners are kinda like valve lifters, oil pressure provides some of their 'spring').

the problem is, to get to that tensioner to screw it off, and that little plug, you have to remove the lower intake manifold, which is time consuming, so Ford combined this TSB with anther one they were going to come out with (two birds, one TSB), which replaced the leaking o-rings which the intake uses as gaskets. It may be possible to replace the tensioner and plug without removing the intake, something to look into.

If you are also hearing a noise between 2K-3K rpm's that sounds surprisingly like ping, that would the jackshaft timing chain (the tensioner goes bad, so chain is all slack). There are 3 chains to drive the two cams, the 'jackshaft' chain, which is in the position of a traditional OHV timing chain (the normal 'cam' shaft is replaced with with this 'jackshaft'). The jackshaft then drives the two chains to the real cams above the heads, one at the front of the block, one at the back. The front one drives the drivers side cam, back is passenger side cam (refering to RHD countries, of course).

To do the jackshaft tensioner you have to take the front timing cover off, not a small job, and since yo are going to want to replace the chain and sprockets (and consider the front cassette (drivers side cam chain) as well), you need the special tools that hold the cams in place (since there are no timing marks and the sprockets are held in alignment on the cams only with the clamping force of their mounting bolts, so once you loosen the bolts without the tools in place, you're in trouble). So do your homework before you attempt this repair yourself.

If you do need to replace your jackshaft tensioner, I want your old one, even if its in pieces. See thread http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=220598 for more details.

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page